Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tachograph info

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Tachograph info

I need a new (secondand) work van - a transit tipper. ( I wont be towing with it)

Ive seen one that looks good on the face of it but it has a tachograph fitted? What implications does this have to me, its MOT etc..etc..

Can it be removed?

As it is fitted do I have to abide by any rules or can I just ignore the fact it has one??

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the gross weight, unladen weight and what you are using it for.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo56 View Post
    It depends on the gross weight, unladen weight and what you are using it for.

Its a 3500kg (is that the gross vehicle weight?) transit tipper. Il be using it for work - general building.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know even if you don't need to use the tachograph, you still have to have it inspected and calibrated every 2 years.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i've heard rumours that rules are changing next year. don't know how true that is.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can remove it and refit a normal speedo. does your licence cover you to drive a 3500kg gross vehicle is another consideration.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks chaps.

If I can do as Neil says that would be best I think (license is fine).

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coupster View Post
    Its a 3500kg (is that the gross vehicle weight?) transit tipper. Il be using it for work - general building.
    It's all quite complicated, if it's 3500kg and above you need a tacho fitted and use it if it's for hire and reward which it sounds like it is, you may even need a drivers CPC as well plus possibly an O licence. You're obviously worried about flouting the law so i'd be seeking legal advice from a professional that deals with this sort of thing. It'll work out cheaper in the long run as the DVSA and police are complete arses where vans and trucks are concerned as far as enforcement and fines go, you can do robbery with violence and get off lighter.
    Exemptions can be on distance travelled per day and possibly what sort of goods you are carrying. Will you be towing a trailer?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's all quite complicated, if it's 3500kg and above you need a tacho fitted and use it if it's for hire and reward which it sounds like it is, you may even need a drivers CPC as well plus possibly an O licence. You're obviously worried about flouting the law so i'd be seeking legal advice from a professional that deals with this sort of thing. It'll work out cheaper in the long run as the DVSA and police are complete arses where vans and trucks are concerned as far as enforcement and fines go, you can do robbery with violence and get off lighter.
    Exemptions can be on distance travelled per day and possibly what sort of goods you are carrying. Will you be towing a trailer?
    it's 3501kg and above. up to 3500 it's car licence and no tacho unless you're towing a trailor that takes it all over the legal train weight.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but you're way out on this one mate, it's 3500 kgs, none of that applies. The reason it has a tacho fitted is that it would previously have drawn a trailer for which it would be required for business use. He doesn't need CPC, or operators licence and wouldn't either if it was towing a trailer below 1040kgs (might be 1060) unladen weight, though would need to use the tacho. I don't think you have to have the 2 and 6 year calibrations done if you're not using it, but if you find that's wrong, just get it exempted or remove it and fit a speedo.
    Last edited by v8.jimmy; 06-10-2018 at 02:05.

12. Likestimbo56, mygasser liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information