Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for a Garage....

I have never had a garage, but have been lucky enough to have a nice carport for the last few years.
    any hoo, im now going to be in a position to have a nice sized garage in the garden, not 100% sure on size but was thinking along the lines of maybe 16ft wide and 24ft long, so ill have some tinkering space. now my main reason for the post is to get any thoughts on what to have the thing made of..metal, wood, block or concrete. they all have there draw backs, which I have been mulling over. bear in mind it has to be built quick as my car and tools wont have a home until its done.
    my thoughts
    Metal= cold, damp, noisy but can be lined and can be thrown up very quickly and is pretty secure
    wood = reduces damp, maybe warmer, not sure how secure
    concrete = quick biuld , secure
    block = slow to build but can be secure + warm.

any one else care to recommend eirther or even recommend a product?

cheers

woodie
    Happy days...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best you can afford, if you can run to the time and expense of brick or blocks that would be my choice. There's also the traditional Oak type which are good, and expensive, running down to a sectional wood, concrete or metal. Just pay what you can afford now so you don't have any regrets later.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    brick.

i have brick.well insulated and underfloor heating. its a nice enviroment to work in.

build the biggest you can.be nothing worse than out growing it,in a couple of years time.

if you cant do heating,put proper insulating slabs under the concrete floor.

dont worry to much about taking longer to build.youre only kick yourself later for not doing it right the first time
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

5. Likeschaley liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a big wooden shed/workshop (garage sized but you can't get a car in it) I didn't build it but it is clapper boarded on the outside and lined and insulated inside. The main thing it's got is a proper tiled and insulated roof and insulated floor and that is the bigest help with insulation.

Official RnS Addict ChopperHarris's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most important factor missed, how old are you and how long will you live there ?

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Block just had my 6mtr X 5mtr built and both babys are nice and warm.
    fordpop52

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's wood because I had this romantic ideal of the cover of a 1950's Practical Motorist with a bloke working out of his wooden garage, tie on, sleeves rolled, pipe smoking on his pre war car. Plus thought it'd go well with the old house. Bought mine from Chart Stables (now Chart Garages) in Kent.

On a more practical note, and not entirely relevant here, about ten years back when we were looking to move, we both had our wish list of features. Amongst mine was a house with a double garage. However, all the ones we saw were effectively in size just two council lock-ups ie 16' x 16'. The reality is that this is fine if working on one vehicle, or just parking two compact ones. In the end decided to build my own, and as there was other car storage, settled on a large single 24' x 12', which is great for most work and didn't take over too much of garden. The trick is having somewhere to store all the stuff that eventually clogs up the sides. As has been said, the bigger the better, room for a lift would be useful, plenty of power points, lights and a nice strong bench.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I built mine in brick so I didn't have to step it back from the boundary as you do with a TALL wodden one. I also figured that it would add value to the house ,last far longer and not require constant maintenace. 1/3 of the cost went into foundations and base which included removing 50 tons of clay.

It didn't require building regs as in back garden and not more than 50% of curtilage but it DID require building regs. That meant 2 metres foundations where there were trees nearby plus huge roof steel beams that were £1500 alone.

11. LikesFlamin Black A liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3090-The-dead-dog-garage]The dead dog garage.....[/url]
    ***very funny canada ^^^***
    this is mine...

sorry the link wont work due to astroglides childishness..

if you go over the road to torqued up and look in the build section for said link its there...
    Last edited by Torment; 08-05-2019 at 08:54.

The Oddlot Drag Racing Team...havin fun is usual
    57 chevy wagon.
    540cui altered.
    your not drunk enough if you can lie on the floor without holding on..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having built both block and timber garages, I would say block, cavity with block or brickwork on the outside, timber roof with steel for lifting & skylight/s natural light is the best. It's all down to cost, timeframe and 100 other things, in the end its always a compromise somewhere. But I want to see the pictures

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information