Truck mirror future - Page 2
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

 
Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    389
    Images
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    drseg is offline
    are they a mirror display or real life, noticed on some vids some mobile phones are mirrored by logos on shirts etc probably so you can use phone as a mirror?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Official RnS Addict Magman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Magman is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by 352 kum View Post
    if it happens to cars it will be interesting to see how the mot manual is updated to suit
    The truck MOT’s have already been written to cover rear view cameras...

  4. #13
    Official RnS Addict Big Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Mersea
    Posts
    3,273
    Images
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Joe is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Magman View Post
    The truck MOT’s have already been written to cover rear view cameras...
    Yeah but have the Construction and use regs been re written? (It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't and there is a conflict).......

  5. #14
    Official RnS Addict Magman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Magman is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Yeah but have the Construction and use regs been re written? (It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't and there is a conflict).......
    They must have passed UK type approval (for trucks at least) and the MOT’s have been updated to include the camera’s so I guess either Construction and Use has been updated as well or it’s been abandoned!

  6. #15
    Official RnS Addict Magman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    21
    Post Thanks / Like
    Magman is offline
    This article carries a health warning, it’ll make you sleep with boredom!!

    https://www.interregs.com/articles/s...systems-000173

  7. #16
    Official RnS Addict chevrolet50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Reading Berkshire united kingdom
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    chevrolet50 is offline
    Just another excuse in my opinion for the councils not to cut hedges and trees properly,not that they do already,it is beyond a joke the state of the roads.it is hard work driving down some roads in a lorry

  8. #17
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,719
    Images
    4846
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    they are a farce so far, as the software keeps on ****ing up, and with no ordinary mirrors as backup, the only way home is on a low loader. Typical Merc electronics, absolute ****e, and yet Merc are trying to push driverless trucks, but can't even get the mirror software to be reliable. When it fails, it isn't even safe to try to pull over as you have no idea what's alongside you, on either side. In my opinion, I'm sure they could develop an emergency mirror on a stalk which would fold up out of a small concealed door on each of the doors. Merc's SLK roof is a very reliable piece of kit, so I'm sure they could have developed a folding mirror for the trucks.

  9. #18
    Official RnS Addict Big Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Mersea
    Posts
    3,273
    Images
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Joe is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    they are a farce so far, as the software keeps on ****ing up, and with no ordinary mirrors as backup, the only way home is on a low loader. Typical Merc electronics, absolute ****e, and yet Merc are trying to push driverless trucks, but can't even get the mirror software to be reliable. When it fails, it isn't even safe to try to pull over as you have no idea what's alongside you, on either side. In my opinion, I'm sure they could develop an emergency mirror on a stalk which would fold up out of a small concealed door on each of the doors. Merc's SLK roof is a very reliable piece of kit, so I'm sure they could have developed a folding mirror for the trucks.
    Your the Profesional Jimmy, is there any point in thiis development ? As it looks to me like it's another example of technology for its own sake. I don't drive a truck (anymore ) but when I did I never had a problem with the mirrors (unless they got hit by a flying tree)...

  10. #19
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,719
    Images
    4846
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Your the Profesional Jimmy, is there any point in thiis development ? As it looks to me like it's another example of technology for its own sake. I don't drive a truck (anymore ) but when I did I never had a problem with the mirrors (unless they got hit by a flying tree)...
    The one thing that is good about them (forgetting the fuel saving thing) is that with modern trucks, there are so many mirrors and blind spot mirrors that forward vision is now being compromised. When approaching a roundabout, you can easily lose a bus, yes a bus in that right mirror tree if it is running in the ( 1 o'clock) blind spot and approaching the roundabout at the same speed as you (normal in town). I'm told that the screens are on the pillars so that it looks similar to looking in a mirror, so I'd need to see if that blocks vision as bad as the mirrors do. I haven't driven one of these, but have heard so many reports from drivers, owner and recovery operators about how unreliable the software is, and, without a backup, you are roadsided there and then, assuming you can safely come to a halt in a safe place. Imagine them going "off" when negotiating a busy 3 or 4 lane roundabout with a 50ft trailer behind you, you just go totally blind! Same on the motorway, middle lane 56mph, overtaking a car sitting at just below your speed, you can't see him, he doesn't know you can't see him, he's speeding up and slowing down (as usual) and you have no idea if/when you can pull over to get to the hard shoulder. Carnage waiting to happen... and Merc want to push ahead with driverless trucks with today's current technology and electronic "reliablilty"

  11. #20
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness, Central Scotland
    Posts
    11,719
    Images
    4846
    Post Thanks / Like
    v8.jimmy is offline
    p.s. Joe, I've never been called professional at anything till now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •