Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  35
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus positives

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in a win win situation yesterday, I filled my wagon with diesel , walked in to pay and man on the till informed me everything in pastry counter is free to key workers, a few minutes later I was back on an empty road with a Cornish pasty, does,not get much better.
    Look after yourselves .

2. LikesKustom Jim, magneto liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's still too much confusion about when it is or isn't acceptable to go out in your car.

I'm not looking to read the rules to my own benefit as I am very lucky and can walk to empty beaches and footpaths from my door and my local village shop have just about everything you need, but came across this statement from the police.

Police forces have been told people should not be punished for travelling a "reasonable distance" to exercise following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown.

The new guidance, issued by the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing on Tuesday night – April 2nd,, also states road checks on every vehicle are "disproportionate".

It comes after Derbyshire Police faced a backlash for filming walkers with drones to deter visitors to the Peak District, while North Yorkshire Police stopped motorists at "checkpoints" last week.

The new guidance states: "Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don't want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise.

"Road checks on every vehicle is equally disproportionate. We should reserve enforcement only for individuals who have not responded to engage, explain, and encourage, where public health is at risk."
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups....

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting the lines that different forces take. Here in Wiltshire they're fairly laid back. Over the border in Bath and North East Somerset their a bit more heavy handed. As to Derbyshire, my brother lives up in Cheshire, but says the biking roads (and all that goes with that) are great over the border, so I'm guessing the police have those sort of issues in the back of their mind.

One positive from all this current crisis, was that the Welsh Govt are now going to re-direct their funds to keeping their economy going. As a result one of the things to suffer was their speed camera programme.

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole thing is very confusing.
    In many radio/tv mentions, they say you can only go out for exercise once a day (locally), to buy essential food/medicine and to go to work IF YOU CAN'T WORK FROM HOME. In others they say much the same but add "ONLY IF YOUR WORK IS ESSENTIAL WORK" those are two very different statements. There was one of those question time type programmes on TV and the government person said people CAN work and businesses CAN stay open whether essential or not as long as social distancing can be observed as the country needs business to continue to help rebuild the economy after this is all over. (Presumably it also means less people of the current government handouts too).
    On another of these programmes, there was a phone is session and one guy asked " I am a window cleaner. Everybody pays me by bank transfer. I don't meet or touch anybody. Can I still work?" Direct answer "Yes of course, it will be nice to be able to see some people outside rather than all couped up inside"
    I think it was the same programme which mentioned being allowed to check on closed business premises for security and the answer was "yes of course that is fine, the police have enough to do, so if you are going out and checking your own premises, then any police officer stopping you will thank you for taking that burden from him"
    Now, today, it's been on the news that Catrherine Calderwood, the chief medical officer for Scotland has just been fined, as checking on a second home is NOT a reasonable excuse to be travelling anywhere. WTF????? There will be more word on this later I understand, but if she doesn't win that case, then it looks like the Scottish government are about to turn the thumb screws, and there has been mention of static police check points. Sounds like the old comm bloc countries when I was a continental driver.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think we just need to make our own decisions about what is right or wrong.
    If you work on you're own and need to drive to work,I can't see a problem.

That could be essential to keeping a roof over you're head.

You will have more chance catching it food shopping.

The police arnt in a good place having to make a judgement on everything.

Round here it's very quiet but people are out walking about.thankfully we have plenty of open spaces to walk to.

Gotta be a pain if you love in a city
    K to
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

8. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Rules are for the blind obeyance of fools and the guidance of wise men"

I could go to my garage and work on my car and not come within a hundred yards of another living soul, but the police might want to know why I was 'popping to the shops' with a welder, grinder and toolbox in the back of my van...
    50 shades of grey primer....

10. Likeschevrolet50, alleykat liked this post
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Think we just need to make our own decisions about what is right or wrong.
    If you work on you're own and need to drive to work,I can't see a problem.

That could be essential to keeping a roof over you're head.

You will have more chance catching it food shopping.

The police arnt in a good place having to make a judgement on everything.

Round here it's very quiet but people are out walking about.thankfully we have plenty of open spaces to walk to.

Gotta be a pain if you love in a city
    K to
    100% in agreement Wayne, but unfortunately the police ARE making those decisions and we don't know what set of rules/guidelines they have been told to follow. Ironically, IF they stop me, THEY will be the only people I will be coming within 2 metres of lol. My wife and I have just walked the dog around the woods next to my house and only met a few people and it was very easy to stay a distance away. I am going to go to the workshop this afternoon but if I get stopped I think it would be easier to just lie to the cops and say I'm off to drive a tanker, as I have a letter from them saying I am an essential worker (haven't had a shift for 3 weeks though) and the tanker depot is 200 yards from my own workshop in the same ind est. If they want to follow me, my uniform is in my pickup and I have my yard keys and tacho card with me. I can easy jump in a truck and ehad off for a drive if they want to see that lol. I DO however NEED to check on my yard as there is a pretty rough neighbourhood not too far away from it and if the local neds know that nobody is going to be there, it's an open house for them.....

12. Likeschevrolet50 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My unit is a 10min walk from me , I would be the only person in it and if I went in my car I wouldn't come in to contact with anybody what so ever , but I am "retired" so have no reason to go to work in their opinion..... It annoys me though the amount of people walking about is absolutely incredible, pretty damm sure all these folk who are out going for their "exercise" don't or even look like they need to be out as they have never been past my window before ever ,and I haven't got a clue who they are and have never seen them before in my life.....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    My unit is a 10min walk from me , I would be the only person in it and if I went in my car I wouldn't come in to contact with anybody what so ever , but I am "retired" so have no reason to go to work in their opinion..... It annoys me though the amount of people walking about is absolutely incredible, pretty damm sure all these folk who are out going for their "exercise" don't or even look like they need to be out as they have never been past my window before ever ,and I haven't got a clue who they are and have never seen them before in my life.....
    There’s a lot of us out there that were used to regular exercise but, as the places we go to are all closed for now, the best way to get some form of exercise is walking as that also gets us out of the house for an hour or two as well.
    I must admit it has been fun, finding places in the area that you don’t see from the road!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magneto View Post
    Everyone has the same right to go out.

I work from home and it sends you stir crazy sometimes as there is no escape.and I've done that for years now.

Most who are now forced to be at home are probably going through the same.everything is shut,so it's not like you can walk to the pub,or even to the local(now closed) park ,or even drive to see you're family,mates ,bird etc.

So walking around could be the new norm,even if you have no place to walk to.

Just got back from a nice 7 mile walk.losds of people out but the majority seam to be keeping there distance from everyone else.
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information