Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Wanted! Your memories of the Rockabilly scene in the '70s

I wonder if any of you might be able to give me a hand? I'm a Russian troll bot and I need help writing an ess-

Whoops, almost let my guard down there... I'm starting a project to document the early years of the Rockabilly subculture in Britain, with a particular emphasis of the role of the motor-car in the scene. As well as recollections, I'll be in need of period photographs, so please get in touch with me if you'd be willing to let me pry into your misspent youth.

Ideally, I'd like to meet people face-to-face, which is fine for anyone in London and the south-east, but if you're miles away in Loughborough or the Limpopo river valley or somewhere like that then we'd perhaps better consign ourselves to phone conversations and e-mails.

Please PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,
    Zack
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    70's ? Everyone who wasn't there will tell you they sucked and have no relevance to today. Those who were there know otherwise. They were 2 very different scenes, rocking and rodding with a small amount of crossover and it didn't really start to become mainly one until the mid 80's to 2000s when they slowly started to seperate again.

Personally hate the way it is currently, especially with promoters adding the word 'retro' to everything to jump on the bandwagon.

By the way , it was Rock and Roll still back then.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zefa46 View Post
    I was there

Yes as Kev says it was Rock n Roll.

It was a long time ago but as a trad Ted as all my mates the Rockabilly thing came along as some may say an organic addition to the Rock n Roll scene, unwelcome by some hard core Ted's. Made for interesting brawls along Kings Road Chelsea

Couple of random memories, the weekly Rock n Roll nights in the Lyceum, Strand were bloody brilliant, bopped all night, then bopped our way home on creepers thru the badland ****holes of South London to Wandsworth.

Saw Ray Campi at Dingwalls Camden !!! Awesome!!

If I try to recall, it was a bit mad back then, politics, riots and punk upsetting it all. I think the rockabilly perhaps led by the rising Meteors (seen em loads) introduced a far more frisky, energetic and more outwardly aggressive than the Ted's vibe. Mind you the mention of the 100 strong South Bank Ted's would run fear thru you lol
    Last edited by Kustom Jim; 26-07-2019 at 20:09.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ''lived' through this period in the 70's - didn't have the interest in it myself (preferred Prog myself) but had a buddy who was really in to the scene back then. The R & R scene (not Rockabilly) was at the worst original Ted's and Rockers from the day - so guys (and gals I guess) in their 40's probably following what was then a minority interest (although there was many new recruits who couldn't abide that Beatles, Beach Boy and Pop crap) I remember it you had or could even afford a car it really needed to be a yank - if that was too rich for you (as it would have been for most) then it would be a Cresta, preferably a PA, although a PB was acceptable, perhaps even a PC - or - it would most certainly be a Mark 2 Zephyr or Zodiac - if you had money it'd be a ragtop - if not it would be a Mark 2 Consul or whatever you could afford.
    Didn't go to any of the R & R concerts myself - seem to recall Wood Green being an important venue. Bearing in mind I was a bit of a 'crossover' then - so long hippy hair down on my shoulders riding 500 big single and 650 twin Brit bikes plus driving Mk 1, 2 and 3 Zephyrs, Zodiacs, big Jags (but not yanks at that point) so when I went with John to the Black Raven pub (close to Liverpool Street station) I felt really out of place there initially but eventually the 'regulars' were all OK once they got to know you - they were the sort of guys you'd only ever want as friends (but never enemies)
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Black-Ra...7173397/about/
    The Edwardian Teddy Boy - The Black Raven
    https://pubwiki.co.uk/LondonPubs/Bis...ackRaven.shtml
    Zak - I am still in contact with friends who were into R & R in the mid 70's (and still are) they are SW Essex based and may be interested in recalling the period with you.
    In fact one of them took a 1902 Locomobile steam car along to our Essex Vette meet a couple of weeks ago - so I got a ride up the road in a 117 year old car!
    Last edited by Roscobbc; 26-07-2019 at 23:05.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still in touch with a lot of guys from the film Bolton Teds , Salford Bop Cats , as stated maybe a few zephyr zodiacs , I had a Morris minor but not many had cars the two scenes were not mixed then , Rockabilly was more checked shirts, donkey jackets and pit boots , don't know when the huge turn ups came in but not in the 70s
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...omeback-901497
    http://www.edwardianteddyboy.com/page40.htm
    Last edited by zefa46; 27-07-2019 at 07:55.

of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscobbc View Post
    Zak - I am still in contact with friends who were into R & R in the mid 70's (and still are) they are SW Essex based and may be interested in recalling the period with you.
    In fact one of them took a 1902 Locomobile steam car along to our Essex Vette meet a couple of weeks ago - so I got a ride up the road in a 117 year old car!
    Yes, please, Ross, do put me in touch if it's alright with them.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to write as well. If any more of you would care to come forward, I'd be grateful!
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin.
    I was well into the "Rockin'" scene by the late 60's. Passed my driving test in 72' (late starter). 1 wk. later I bought a 1960 Olds. "Dynamic 88". Fecking great boat. Irene hated it. Was hanging at the "Pembury" then the "Adam and Eve" both in Hackney .Got rid of the "Olds" and got a 59 Fairlane 500. Sold that and went to British cars, MK2 Consul,Mk1 Zephyr, Stock pop.
    In the mid 70's I was working for a fruit and veg co. as a driver. One of my customers was a bass player who's band had just disintegrated, so, as I was appropriately dressed he asked me if I could sing. My answer was "**** off, are you kidding". Anyway he kept on at me until I gave in and we had a "rehearsal" sort of. Two weeks later we were gigging. We needed a guitarist, so. I went on the hunt and found a young 16/17 yr. old rehearsing with a bunch of kids in a church in Clapham. I asked him if he was interested in joining us. I will insert pic. Kustom Jim, you should recognize the guy on the left.
    Yes mate, Paul P. Fenech Mr. Meteor.
    We did all of the local London gigs. St. Helier Carshalton, Black Bull Lewisham, Adam and Eve Hackney, Minerva Southend,
    Royalty Southgate, Crepes n Drapes Tottenham. There was one in Hainault, but, I can't remember the name. We also did a lot of gigs around Derby, Loughborough, Leicester area. We also did a few gigs in a little club upstairs in Temple back in Bristol. We also supported Ray Campi at an all dayer in Yate in Bristol. He had 2 amazing guitarists, Jerry Sicorski and Colin Winski who just blew me away.
    The band started to fall apart then. We did a few random gigs but it was basically THE END. I still keep in touch with a few of the guys , but I'm more into "Rockin' Blues" now.
    Anyway I'm getting bored now.
    To end this tale We moved to the Isle of Skye 23 yrs ago. We sold our house last Sept. and moved to Lincolnshire. Eventually we found a house we liked, and moved next door to the sax player from Lucas and the Dynamo's. We both have old britsh bikes and I've started going to RnR gigs again.
    SMALL WORLD.
    Good byeeeeee.
    Charlie.
    BTW I'm the little FAT BALD guy on the right in the red jacket. (All the jackets were mine).
    Last edited by truxdelux; 27-07-2019 at 16:32.
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

10. Likes55chev liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes55chev liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Different guitarist, after Paul went and formed the "Meteors". AH!! That's the pub I Hainault I can't remember the name of.
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information