Loving these stories

68roadrunner

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truxdelux View Post
    Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin.
    I was well into the "Rockin'" scene by the late 60's. Passed my driving test in 72' (late starter). 1 wk. later I bought a 1960 Olds. "Dynamic 88". Fecking great boat. Irene hated it. Was hanging at the "Pembury" then the "Adam and Eve" both in Hackney .Got rid of the "Olds" and got a 59 Fairlane 500. Sold that and went to British cars, MK2 Consul,Mk1 Zephyr, Stock pop.
    In the mid 70's I was working for a fruit and veg co. as a driver. One of my customers was a bass player who's band had just disintegrated, so, as I was appropriately dressed he asked me if I could sing. My answer was "**** off, are you kidding". Anyway he kept on at me until I gave in and we had a "rehearsal" sort of. Two weeks later we were gigging. We needed a guitarist, so. I went on the hunt and found a young 16/17 yr. old rehearsing with a bunch of kids in a church in Clapham. I asked him if he was interested in joining us. I will insert pic. Kustom Jim, you should recognize the guy on the left.
    Yes mate, Paul P. Fenech Mr. Meteor.
    We did all of the local London gigs. St. Helier Carshalton, Black Bull Lewisham, Adam and Eve Hackney, Minerva Southend,
    Royalty Southgate, Crepes n Drapes Tottenham. There was one in Hainault, but, I can't remember the name. We also did a lot of gigs around Derby, Loughborough, Leicester area. We also did a few gigs in a little club upstairs in Temple back in Bristol. We also supported Ray Campi at an all dayer in Yate in Bristol. He had 2 amazing guitarists, Jerry Sicorski and Colin Winski who just blew me away.
    The band started to fall apart then. We did a few random gigs but it was basically THE END. I still keep in touch with a few of the guys , but I'm more into "Rockin' Blues" now.
    Anyway I'm getting bored now.
    To end this tale We moved to the Isle of Skye 23 yrs ago. We sold our house last Sept. and moved to Lincolnshire. Eventually we found a house we liked, and moved next door to the sax player from Lucas and the Dynamo's. We both have old britsh bikes and I've started going to RnR gigs again.
    SMALL WORLD.
    Good byeeeeee.
    Charlie.
    BTW I'm the little FAT BALD guy on the right in the red jacket. (All the jackets were mine).
    Life is full of coincidences - you have moved to Old Leake - the buddy I mentioned although working when I knew him as a driver for Gidea Park Motors lived with his parents during the week in Earls Court initially before he moved to Ilford - parents also had a place out on the Fens which I went to a couple of time at Old Leake in the middle of winter - all you could ever see was rushes - nothing else. This was very late 60's - early 70's.
    Last edited by Roscobbc; 28-07-2019 at 00:28.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Zack, Neil's thread here is a great documentary of a lot of what was going on back in the day in regards to the scene. I remember many of the venues and characters he talks about. https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/ch...ly-clubs-50473

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie,
    I was just going put your name forward
    Chris
    You only made one mistake, you trusted me.......

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
    Hi Zack, Neil's thread here is a great documentary of a lot of what was going on back in the day in regards to the scene. I remember many of the venues and characters he talks about. https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/ch...ly-clubs-50473
    Just read all of that thread, what happened after the last post in '17?.....everyone dead? LOL It was an interesting read

68roadrunner

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Hemel Hempstead in the early seventies, there was a big(ish) biker/greaser scene with the 16-21 club but the Ted Scene kicked off with the film "That'l be the Day" and next thing loads of sixteen year olds were listening to Buddy Holley and Eddie Cochrane
    We had Rock and Roll bands in the Great Harry on Sunday nights (remember one band Crazy Cavern) sometimes we would go over to St Albans where there was pub called the "Swinging Tit" (actually called the Ancient Britain but it had a picture of a bare breasted Boudicia on the sign)
    Cars were MK2 Consuls and MK3 Zs and Crestas (as said above very few yanks) there were a few ex forces LHD mk3 Zephyrs kicking about and these were prized by the teds and looking more Amercan.
    Soon American Graffiti came out and that's what (in my mind) really got the Hot Rod and Custom thing going (although I must have seen American Graffiti hundreds of times and never noticed any jacked up MK2 Cortinas!)

One thing though, I never heared the term "Rockabilly" untill the early eighties,
    Last edited by Big Joe; 28-07-2019 at 22:21.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodboy View Post
    Charlie,
    I was just going put your name forward
    Chris
    Still looks like me EH!! Awe, go on, say it does. It's just a little lie
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 63 and three quarters. I've been into Rock and Roll since I was a young lad (First heard Elvis singing 'Hound Dog' on, would you believe, Blue Peter! Yep, Blue Peter!) They had an item about dogs, no suprise there, but the background music was Hound Dog and that got me started. That was in the 60's. Fast ish forward to the 70's. I was a Teddy Boy then, not too long after became a Rockabilly and thats what I'll continue to be. Was in a few bands but the one that got me to play to a wider audience was a band (from about '79 onwards for 3 or 4 years) was called The Rhythm Hawks. Amongst the venues we played were The Squire, Catford, The Adam and Eve, Hackney, The Old Maypole, Barkinside, The Black Bull, Lewisham, St Helier Arms, Carlshorlton, The White Hart, Tottenham, The Royalty, Southgate to name but seven. We backed Ray Campi and did a 'tour' with him. My mate (over here in South Cheshire) was a massive fan of RC so I asked Mr Campi if he'd speak to him. He said he would so, one night (in The Royalty) I rang Pete, my mate, and said I had someone who'd like to speak to him and put Ray on. The conversation went; RC. Hi Peter, Ray Campi here, whatcha up to tonight? P; (er, um er, splutter stutter) Hello Ray, I'm just going to the local Pub...sorry, Bar. RC; Cool, who's on there tonight? P; Oh, er Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers, Elvis Presley. RC; ELVIS PRESLEY!!!!!Oh, right...and, with a weird look on his face he handed me the phone and walked off. I asked Pete what he'd said and Pete told him who was on the Juke Box.
    We had a couple of singles released one of which was 'Zodiac' and to promote it we stopped the traffic in London one Bank Holiday Monday to have a cavacade of Zodiacs drive us around stopping off at a radio station Mike Read worked at to give him a single. He did us a lot of favours as he played it on Radio 1 for 2 weeks on his Breakfast Show. I shouldn't wonder that a few of thoses Zodiacs were owned by some folk on here! I was the Drummist in TRH but left after a few years because I really wanted to not sit down anymore and be a front man, so I did that. .......just as our manager anounced we were (but, in the end, didn't) about to play Top Of The Pops...and also feature in a TV advert for beer, the strap line which was 'Harp, stays sharp to the bottom of the glass'. Ironic really as just after that I became a singer and 'sharp' and flat is what I was good at, singing wise.
    Last edited by RockabillyBilly; 29-07-2019 at 07:42.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Billy,
    We must have had a parallel life. I'm surprised we never crossed paths.
    Charlie.
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    not a memory of mine but these photos were in amongst my dads negatives, he worked for the BBC in manchester during the 70's so not sure whats going on

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information