Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie; I haven't got much money but what I have got I'd put it on the fact that our paths DID cross! Law of Averages and all that kinda stuff. I remember playing at a club in or near Tilbury Docks and there was a Rockabilly chap in the audience who looked a lot like a young Jerry Lewis even down to the crew cut. When he danced, he even threw a couple of the 'knock-kneed' moves JL was known for. I know that wasn't you of course but, just saying. Haha. One night we were in a KFC in London about 3am. 2 long haired chaps walked in (again, I know they wern't you but just saying) and they looked over and nodded. One said. "Are you in a band?" I said "Yes, but you won't have heard of us" They asked what the name of the band was, I told them and of course, they hadn't heard of us. I asked "Are you in a band?" He said. "It's 3am and we're in a KFC...of course we're in a band!" I asked what the name was. He said "You wont have heard of us either but you may have heard of the band we've just come off tour with...Judas Priest" Yep, I'd heard of them. I said, "What is the name of your band then?" His answer......"Iron Maiden". To be fair, I hadn't heard of them but by heck, a few months later I did, as did most other people.
    But, bands more relevent to this thread I've played with, supported, backed or watched; The Polecats, Little Tony and The Tenneessee Rebels, Buz and The Flyers, Matchbox, Freddie Fingers Lee, Charlie Feathers, Ray Campi, The Jets, The Flying Saucers to name but nine.
    Last edited by RockabillyBilly; 29-07-2019 at 08:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    scottie; Those pictures may have been taken round the back of the BBC in Oxford Road, Manchester. Looks a bit like it anyway. I 'worked' a bit there too and remember getting some stuff out of a skip (with permission of course) round the back, one of the items was an angle poise lamp that I still use in my garage!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RockabillyBilly View Post
    scottie; Those pictures may have been taken round the back of the BBC in Oxford Road, Manchester. Looks a bit like it anyway. I 'worked' a bit there too and remember getting some stuff out of a skip (with permission of course) round the back, one of the items was an angle poise lamp that I still use in my garage!
    yeah probably, he done work onthe Oxford Road Show aswell

of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Teddy Boys marched in the BBC in London in 1976 to protest against the lack of airplay given to rock 'n' roll music. Apparently, 6,000 participated in the march and 10,000 attended the evening entertainment at Picketts Lock, Edmonton. Then, in 1977, a quoted 1,800 repeated the stunt at the BBC in Manchester, after which 4,000 attended a concert at Belle Vue which included Crazy Cavan, the Riot Rockers and Rockin' Ricky.

Thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

By the way, I remember watching, some years ago, a short video on Youtube which was something like 'A Day in the Life of a Teddy Boy', that sort of thing. It was made in the '70s and the fella's car, which was a white Mk. II Consul with a visible rust epidemic, featured quite prominently. I can't remember much else except that there was footage shot in the factory where he worked. Trouble is, I can't find the video now. Does it ring any bells with anyone?
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    We, (Irene and I) Were on the march in London. A very orderly affair I might add. And, we got a RnR show on Radio 1.
    Two mini bus loads of teds came down from Glasgow, and most of them crashed on our floor in Pimlico. Can you imagine the smell of hair cream and lacquer. I think we had about 15/20 visitors in a 2 bed flat. Then off to Pickets lock. My Bro. has a load of pics. Where are you GEO?
    Charlie
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

Epy
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    I'm 63 and three quarters. I've been into Rock and Roll since I was a young lad (First heard Elvis singing 'Hound Dog' on, would you believe, Blue Peter! Yep, Blue Peter!) They had an item about dogs, no suprise there, but the background music was Hound Dog and that got me started. That was in the 60's. Fast ish forward to the 70's. I was a Teddy Boy then, not too long after became a Rockabilly and thats what I'll continue to be. Was in a few bands but the one that got me to play to a wider audience was a band (from about '79 onwards for 3 or 4 years) was called The Rhythm Hawks. Amongst the venues we played were The Squire, Catford, The Adam and Eve, Hackney, The Old Maypole, Barkinside, The Black Bull, Lewisham, St Helier Arms, Carlshorlton, The White Hart, Tottenham, The Royalty, Southgate to name but seven. We backed Ray Campi and did a 'tour' with him. My mate (over here in South Cheshire) was a massive fan of RC so I asked Mr Campi if he'd speak to him. He said he would so, one night (in The Royalty) I rang Pete, my mate, and said I had someone who'd like to speak to him and put Ray on. The conversation went; RC. Hi Peter, Ray Campi here, whatcha up to tonight? P; (er, um er, splutter stutter) Hello Ray, I'm just going to the local Pub...sorry, Bar. RC; Cool, who's on there tonight? P; Oh, er Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers, Elvis Presley. RC; ELVIS PRESLEY!!!!!Oh, right...and, with a weird look on his face he handed me the phone and walked off. I asked Pete what he'd said and Pete told him who was on the Juke Box.
    We had a couple of singles released one of which was 'Zodiac' and to promote it we stopped the traffic in London one Bank Holiday Monday to have a cavacade of Zodiacs drive us around stopping off at a radio station Mike Read worked at to give him a single. He did us a lot of favours as he played it on Radio 1 for 2 weeks on his Breakfast Show. I shouldn't wonder that a few of thoses Zodiacs were owned by some folk on here! I was the Drummist in TRH but left after a few years because I really wanted to not sit down anymore and be a front man, so I did that. .......just as our manager anounced we were (but, in the end, didn't) about to play Top Of The Pops...and also feature in a TV advert for beer, the strap line which was 'Harp, stays sharp to the bottom of the glass'. Ironic really as just after that I became a singer and 'sharp' and flat is what I was good at, singing wise.
    Still got the single somewhere Billy. I'll have to dig it out, if I "Don't look that way"

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha...I see what you did there but....I wasn't on that single. I left before that was recorded. I was on the EP and also the single 'Zodiac' but then I beggered off.

Official RnS Addict choppedblownpop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haha...I see what you did there but....I wasn't on that single. I left before that was recorded. I was on the EP and also the single 'Zodiac' but then I beggered off.
    I’ve still got the Zodiac single

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information