Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that was fun ...

Finally realised the perks of owning a website

Just got back from Millbrook Proving Grounds after taking the new Golf Mk6 GTi for a thrash

Volkswagen UK got in touch (through one of my other websites Volkstorque) a few weeks ago and asked if me and another forum user would like to come and play in the new Golf. Took a while to go over the pros and cons (as you can imagine) but I decided to say YES !!!!!!!

So, me & Matt (Plumcrazee) went off to Millbrook this morning. Got there and went through a little intro then got taken out to the cars. The pro driver took us round and showed us what to do before swapping seats and giving us a blast

First off was a mile straight. From 0 to 130MPH & then back down 0 Them things shift. After that we went down again, ran up to 100MPH and were told to slam the brakes on as hard as we could to bring the car to a halt. Jeez, it felt you were slowing down from about 30. Foot to the floor and there was no pulling through the steering, no skidding or anything just a nice stop. Managed to fit 2 of those into the mile long section.

Next we got taken up to the Alpine section. Proper steep gradients and sweeping curves anlong with a few hairpins, a jump and a couple of dropoff corners. Once again, we got blatted around there by the driver (Serious credit to the guy and the car) and it was our turn. Tyres screeching all over the place but it held the road like nobodys business.

On to the high speed bowl we go. This is a 2 mile long perferct circle with continuous banked corners. Each of the 5 lanes has a minimum speed limit on it going from 40 to 100. We got taken round in the outside lane at about 148 MPH. Swap seats and it's our go. Something to do with licencing meant we could only drive in the 4th lane but that clocked us up to 110MPH. It's amazing how fast 2 miles goes by lol.

That was the last go for us as we went on to the handling circuit. Rules said that we weren't allowed to drive around that and it's understandable as to why. The road was only just wide enough for the car in places . Bombing around at close to 90 round some of these corners with the tyres screeching and the back end stepping out occasionally. I think the guy that drove us had been round there before

Another quick blast round the Alpine section before the driver took us round the handling course again but this time in the Sports mode. The car just stuck to the road. Felt like the suspension was made of solid bars but it just held.

Lastly there was a driving skills show by Russ Swift. This guy was mental. He holds 3 Guiness World Records for :-
    • Parallel parking in the tightest space (33cm bigger than the length of the car)
    • J Turn in the tightest space
    • The fastest 'do-nuts'

He took us in the car and performed some of the manouvers for us like the J turns, parallel parking & the reverse parking without using reverse gear

All this with a spot of lunch and light refreshments. What a quality day

Cheers VW

P.S. go out and buy a new Golf GTi They're feckin' mental

For a map of the place click here --> Millbrook by MSN Maps

Meep Meep.
    My Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Si,top day out been a few times,best part is youre killing someone elses machinery !
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds great cant u sneak a car show in there

Official RnS Addict Battersea Boys's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    What amazes me about the Alpine circuit is that it seems like you're always going up and up a mountain...

Trick of the light!

Excellent!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Got the pictures through from VW this evening.

Me & Matt

Me driving

Matt driving

For fear of incriminating anyone ... unknown driver

(I think the last one's a promo shot really )
    Meep Meep.
    My Intro

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol we dont look like the heavy boys at all do we

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    i'm there next week for Greener Company Car in Action, and get to test drive around Alpine tracks and bowl, ans also do the off road tracks.
    It's purely to help identify what cars our staff should be driving, not to enjoy ourselves!!

Did you manage to lift the n/s/r tyre at the top of the first alpine hill before the descent? gets a bit light on the rear when taking the bend at recommended speed limit.

I also was taken around the handling course in a Vauxhall VX220, but we took a couple of detours across the grass! I felt very unwell for some time after that trip, and probably wont do that again this time.......

If anyone gets the chance to go, its highly recommended.
    if your company runs a fleet of cars, look here to find out if you are eligible http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/company-car-in-action/

cheers

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have been to Milbrook quite a few time, did a training course with a nutter called John Lyons part of which included a day at Milbrook, again as a guest of Lamborgini doing the same sort of thing you did on the mile straight alpine circuit etc but the best day there was when I had the pleasure of having Richard Attwood as my co pilot for the day.

For those that dont know him, Dickie is a Northern Gentlemen that wears a flat cap and drives a white 405 estate with about 400,000 on the clock.

He also happens to be the first man to win for Porsche at Le Man and is an all round driving God.

The day started off very nicely with cups of tea, posh sandwiches and a talk from the great man before we were allocated our instructors for the day. As you will have probably realised by now I was paired off with Dickie and we spent a very pleasant 30 minutes talking about his racing past on route to Milbrook.

All went well on the slalem, wet weather curcuit and Alpine section and I would go so far as to say that Dickie was warming to me, he even laughed at my jokes....

That is until we got onto the Dunlop handling curcuit....

As Si has already mentioned this is a narrow figure of 8 curcuit with no run off and a layer of large pebbles marking the edge of the concrete surface and the grass.

So, off we go with Dickie asking me to go round with out instruction for 2 laps so he can evaluate my 'style'...

All good, he makes some recommendations and we charge off for another 2 laps.

More instruction and Dickie thinks that I am braking too early and not hard enough to get enough weight transfer onto the front wheels.

' Do one lap to warm yourself up and on the second lap I will tell you where to brake' Says Dickie.

'Righto' says I

Round we go for the first lap and I am feeling pretty good.

Start of the second lap and I am right on it. 2nd gear 3rd gear and we are now really traveling.

Getting up to the top end of 3rd and well over 100mph with the corner approaching rapidly.

But it is OK, I have Richard Attwood at my side and he is going to tell me when to brake..

Now coming upto the 300yrd board and still accelerating...

Did I mention that I had Dickie Attwood in the passenger seat? Do you know he won Lem Mans for Porsche? He is going to tell me where to brake for this corner....

200yrds and still nothing from Dickie. These old boys must have balls of steel driving those 917's at Le Mans... Over 240mph down the straight...in 1970...

My sphincter is now starting to twitch but it is OK because Richard Attwood is going to tell me when to brake...

150 yrds and just hitting the rev limiter... Its Ok though cause I have Dickie Attwood in the passenger seat. He is going to tell me when to.....

****... I Dont care who you are......

Somehow I managed to slow it down just enough to get it round the corner with a full turn of opposite lock and my ring sucking in the seat cover....

The car was silent for a moment before I turned to Dickie and said

'I thought you were going to tell me where to brake for that corner Richard....'

'No' says Dickie...' The next one....'

Laugh! Oh how we chortled about that.....

Funny, he never shook my hand at the end of the day.....

P.

Just noticed what my firend Tim is doing in the background! After having this pic for 5 years that is the first time I have noticed that....

Oh oh 4
    Last edited by Paul Y; 10-06-2009 at 23:09.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information