Where do you get your ideas / influence?
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Welding Guru
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where do you get your ideas / influence?

Lots of creative people on here and we all have ideas.
    I get my crazy ideas in lots of places. Most productive (mostly for work related issues) is when i wake up in the morning and have a nice long shower (not sure why but it seems a good thinking place)
    Sat at the dinner table is where i come up with some really goofy ideas (mostly beer influenced)
    As with most people (i suspect) it starts with a base idea and then just grows legs (well thats how it goes in my workshop.

So, where do you get your ideas and where is your best thinking place/time??

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    LSD Cocaine Heroin etc

(not really - actually I don't even touch alcohol these days!)
    Last edited by fogey; 27-09-2019 at 10:22.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I steal them. A little bit here and a little bit there. Then join them all up.
    Charlie.
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

5. LikesChopperHarris liked this post
    Official RnS Addict legendlives's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see influences from a lot of things.
    I was in a charity shop and picked up a stainless-steel wine cooler that gave me the idea for the panels around my tail-pipes.
    I read Hot Rod magazine, and watch programmes like Kindig and Overhaulin' where the builders are highly skilled and professional.
    (I avoid Gas Monkey and it's various spin-offs as, by comparison to Kindig and Foose, they frequently demonstrate that they are amateurs.)
    Art is an influence as well and I try to ensure the things I make are aesthetically pleasing.
    The garage section on here also gives many ideas. Parts or processes that can be used or manipulated to suit my build.

Having said all of that, I don't like 'catalogue' builds - we've all seen them: 32's that could have come off a production line with the amount of aftermarket parts (and engines) they share,
    Gassers that 'have to have the correct engine / running gear', and people that proliferate the myth that a hot rod/custom has to be built to set rules.

This is hot rodding guys. Build what you want because it's your car. Use whatever influences or parts you see fit because at the end of the day your car only has to please one person!

7. LikesSlamera63 liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Dave Kindig's a lucky guy, his "renderings" are great right up 'til the point you need to make something look like that! his workforce are pretty skilled, and are used to doing that for him.

A designer will draw the structure and dimensions, stress calculations and specify the materials ; noticed the other day his "patented" door handles are identical to those on a Boing 747 (and the like)

Most car builders like smooth lines, and set about changing a vehicle to that end; I suspect that all we are really doing is returning to the original concept for the vehicle, before the practicalities started to kick in; where's the spare wheel going to go, you need wing mirrors on that, fuel filler must be easily accessible, doors must open wide enough for fat people, one piece glass is too expensive etc etc
    Just a passer by as you might say.

9. Likeslegendlives liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look at what everyone else is building to be different and then copy that . When it's almost ready I put up a poll to decide what colour mine will be.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    just randomly looking at whats been done before in all styles (car shows, whats on the road, magazines, the interwebs in all sorts of styles like rat JDM restomod lowrider and that sort of thing), what I like, what I don't like, taking things I like and think and will blend together.
    I don't try to build to a "style" or to be different I just build what I want

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was right! We ALL steal them.
    Charlie.
    You gotta grow old , but, you don't gotta grow up!!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think you can build lots without having to copy anyone
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here!!! And my local, and not so local, Hot Rod buddies. (You know who you are) and a bit of Television.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information