Likes Likes:  20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Writing help

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Writing help

Guys, just forgive me for offtopic, but since the forum is automotive, I decided to register here to ask an important question. I am writing a essay on the automotive industry. One of the questions that I study is electric cars and their future. In addition to scientific data, it would be useful for me to gather the opinions of car enthusiasts and professionals in this field. I would be very grateful for any information and your opinion.
    Last edited by Yneseet; 11-07-2019 at 20:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Electric cars have, just like the very first cars, moved for a novelty to mainstream. They will continue to evolve, but only in increased range, electric motors are very efficient already so not much room for improvement which leaves battery development.
    The greatest impact will be economic. How will governments replace the petrol taxes with a tax on electricity used to charge the car? With charging stations it's easy but if, like me, you have solar panels, it will be all but impossible. The only answer will be increased road tax. Then there will be all those petrol stations closing and the people it will put out of work including tanker drivers and all the support industries. Unless they improve the infrastructure there will be a major bottleneck to expansion. For example, if you have a row of high power chargers they will need copper cables as thick as your arm to supply enough current. The electricity has to come from somewhere meaning more power stations with more pollution. And on the subject of pollution those lithium based batteries will have to be recycled at the end of their lifespan, not something that can be done under a railway arch, it takes a very expensive setup to do it safely.
    Look further than how great and shiny the newest Tesla is and see the bigger picture and it's not all rosy.

4. Likes46beddy, v8.jimmy liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Snowflake idea with fk all as an infrastructure to support it.......apart from a new house.....with a smart meter

Here is the reality check, ask the clowns supporting it if they have got rid of all of their Diesel or petrol powered vehicles if its so good, that usually shuts them up.

....then again some idiots are proud they can turn their central heating from their phone , so I suppose there will always be Goons queuing up for the latest ****e

68roadrunner

6. Likes46beddy, Slamera63, v8.jimmy, Torment, alleykat liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to above, there was a bit on the news this morning about pollution from tyres and brake dust that they acknowledged won't go away with electric vehicles. NMNeil's point on fuel duty is a good one and nobody I've spoken to can address this issue. If a proportionate amount of duty was applied to the electricity used to fuel these vehicles it would kill it stone dead now. Another is the scarce resources used to manufacture them and the knock on political consequences eg they all need cobalt in their manufacture. 70% of cobalt comes from the DRC (Congo). At the moment they're killing each other there over mineral rights. Recycling is great (and that's if it can be done), but it uses a lot of energy in the process. Destroying existing vehicles to manufacture lots of new ones does not make sense. These vehicles should be built to last for ever, or at least a very long time, with affordable components that can be swapped in and out. Nobody has addressed the battery total life issue. I understand these only last about seven years. What happens then, is the vehicle scrapped? Hardly a green solution. None of it's joined up. I'd love to see the real true life costs for all this.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another question that I have never heard a reasonable answer to is there are huge areas of people living in terrace houses who have to park in the road outside their house. A lot of the time they have to park further down the road as there is not enough space. Where are you meant to plug in here? I hear about lamp post charging points but as said before the cabling is just not up to it. Also I can see the local kids having a field day unplugging a whole street of cars & watching the ensuing chaos as people discover flat batteries when they try to get to work the next day. At the moment I see electric cars as nothing more than governments making it look as if they are addressing the problem.

9. Likes46beddy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy650 View Post
    Another question that I have never heard a reasonable answer to is there are huge areas of people living in terrace houses who have to park in the road outside their house. A lot of the time they have to park further down the road as there is not enough space. Where are you meant to plug in here? I hear about lamp post charging points but as said before the cabling is just not up to it. Also I can see the local kids having a field day unplugging a whole street of cars & watching the ensuing chaos as people discover flat batteries when they try to get to work the next day. At the moment I see electric cars as nothing more than governments making it look as if they are addressing the problem.
    They were talking about that on the radio the other day, apparently it will be done with wireless chargers...

The thing to remember is a petrol car only actually only needs to carry about 7% of the fuel it burns around with, an electric car needs to carry 100% of its 'fuel'...
    50 shades of grey primer....

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    its a crap idea, greenest car is one that exists as it takes more power and pollution to produce a new car that a petrol car ever produces plus mining processing and making lithium batteries makes electric cars more polluting than a diesel car and that's not counting how electric is made.

hydrogen produced in deserts using sun tracking mirrors concentrating sun on a central point producing superheated steam powering a steam turbine then using this power to anode cathode to produce hydrogen and oxygen then pipe or tanker to fuel stations as lpg is then burn in modded internal combustion engines why not? its very green pretty cheap and that's the bug bear green is just a money making machine and theres no super expensive new tech someone can make a fortune off

12. LikesWoodlouse liked this post
    of the Croydon Teds Nigel Incubator-Jones's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The long and the short of it is that electric cars are the future because the government wants them to be the future, at least until it changes its mind. I am generally resistant to the developments made in the field of electric cars, not because I am against the existence of electric cars but because of the threat they pose to the future of internal combustion engines, which are still the superior (that is, more enjoyable) power source.

There are practical disadvantages with electric cars that will be overcome. People will fit charging points in their homes, because, on the whole, people are sufficiently tasteless that they will spoil the exterior of a nice historic building by inflicting ugly cars and ugly leads on their facades. Petrol stations will gradually convert to prioritise electric vehicles as part of a natural cycle - the more people buy electric cars, the more charging points will be built; the more charging points are built, the more people will buy electric cars. Besides, modern electric cars generally work well as basic transportation. Teslas can drive quite fast for a long distance from full charge - certainly long enough to serve the purpose of a town runabout or commuter car.

However, there are much better alternatives that are being wilfully ignored. Liquid propane or hydrogen will burn in an internal combustion engine and produce significantly lower emissions than petrol. I am fairly sure that the energy involved in adapting existing internal combustion engines and petrol stations to run on/serve liquid hydrogen must be significantly lower than manufacturing entire electric motors and charging points from scratch. However, I could be wrong because there is very little information about liquid hydrogen ICEs on the internet and certainly there is no easily accessible formal comparison of liquid hydrogen cars versus electric cars. I don't know whether hydrogen production is clean or not but, if not, how about growing biofuels? Electric cars were never viable until billions of pounds were pumped into researching them. I am sure that with the same amount of research, hydrogen, propane or biofuels would prove just as viable.

My own opinion is that petrol cars will continue until it is physically impossible for the government to squeeze any more out of fuel duties. Then when everyone's gone electric, the government will suddenly 'discover' that the emissions generated during the production of electricity aren't all that clean, electric cars will be the new bogeyman and people will be directed towards some other false hope. Diesel owners will know that the government isn't afraid to backtrack.

As I say, I'm more than happy for electric cars to exist alongside internal combustion engines, but not everyone wants an electric car and it borders on immoral that the government is intending to ban petrol and diesel vehicles without offering a replacement (see article below). There are alternatives to electric cars that we ought to have some choice about buying.
    https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/mot...anned-by-2030/

However, the sad truth is that people like to be governed. Next time someone moans to you about Labour or the Conservatives, a particular MP or the government in general, they are bull****ting. They will keep voting a Labour/Conservative/Lib Dem government into power and they will happily live with their freedoms being removed because they're scared of what will happen in the event of change. But, but, but, the Guardian says this, the Daily Mail says that, global warming, rising sea levels, polar bears, we're all going to die...

Sorry, OP, but any attempt to write at length on this subject is, like all things in life, pure vanity. In short: The government wants us to have electric cars, so we will have electric cars. The larger part of the population will accept this because they're halfwits who don't value their freedoms as long as they've got a social media bubble to insulate them from the physical world and want nothing more from being born than to grow fat and comfortable during the fleeting glimpse of eternity that is, frankly, wasted on them. The situation for the small number of people who practise the hobby is simple: we're ****ed.
    Last edited by Nigel Incubator-Jones; 11-07-2019 at 18:55.
    Wanted! Back issues of Street Machine, American Car World/American Car and Classic American. Please PM.

14. Likesblackpopracing liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it you that registered on the Retro-Rides forum yesterday and asked a similar question?

Whether it was or wasn't, I'll give the same answer:

Start by looking at the serious environmental damage and drain on natural resources caused by manufacturing the batteries that electric cars need and then the damage to the environment caused by disposing of them at EOL. Look at the environmental damage that will be caused by installing the thousands of charging points that will be needed and the damage caused by creating the power that they will need. You will then see that 'Electric cars' in the name of the 'Environment' are a con.

End of

16. Likesdrseg liked this post
    I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the answers, it will help me a lot. I used to love writing essays when I was still in college. There the topics were fairly simple and straightforward. I like the format of the essay because it is a free form of written work, where you can express your thoughts as you wish. Now, especially with such a topic, it is difficult for me to write a quality essay, plus I am still working, so there is little time for research. I want to ask for help from the company CHEATING *******S so they write my essay for me. They have very cool and high-quality services, you can buy essays and other types of scientific works cheaply on the uk territory.
    Last edited by blackpopracing; 16-07-2019 at 12:34.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information