Post Thanks / Like
    I've messaged you Billy

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if any of you are aware of "Mark Felton Productions" on you tube?, if you are "into" WW11 his stories tell the truth, warts and all, his presentation is fantastic, stuff you will never hear anywhere else....its addictive LOL
    Stuff like this.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZAq72EYp6w

Official RnS Addict choppedblownpop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weirdly I’ve been getting into the Mark Felton vids,
    Here’s a good un’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqg...&feature=share

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are great mate, i've been watching everything I can for months. The "Blue Goose" Goerings (sp?) car is a good one and the Nazi Goldtrain., no BS, all true.
    Nice one.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres something you may like; I worked in 2 Care Homes for a couple of years as an 'entertainer'. When we had a new resident I'd have a one to one with them to get to know them and their likes and dislikes etc. One of these residents (I'll call him Fred) I spoke to told me as a young lad he was in the Army. The next day I took my Dad's pictures of him in the Army, pictures of the Fort, Dog Tag etc etc. I showed them to Fred and he was really interested and asked me loads of questions then all of a sudden he stopped talking, looked in the middle distance and said; " Do you know what lad...after all these years I've just this second remembered my Army number..it's *********" He said that it's rare that anyone forgets their Army number but I did. (he had the onset of Dementia) I secretly wrote it down so that, if he did forget it again, I could remind him. I needn't have done that because from that day until I left, he'd always greet me with a salute, his name, rank and Army number. I told his relatives (away from Fred) and they were in tears and if I'm honest, I was.
    Last edited by RockabillyBilly; 15-06-2020 at 10:28.

7. Likeschoppedblownpop, 68roadrunner liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie Austin Martin's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite the same situation as your father's, but your mentioning Colditz, reminded me of my fathers reaction to a fairly light hearted scene in Dads Army (of all things) where Pike pretends to machine gun the platoon, it transpires that when my day had just made corporal this happened for real, a younger guy (if you can be much younger as my dad joined up under age at 17) burst into the guard hut (as I recall) as a joke, but the gun was loaded; I can't say for certain now whether the guys were killed or wounded, but my dad was in charge and lost his stripe over it.

That event haunted him for the rest of his life, he hated handguns and one of only two photos of him from the war saw him posed with a handgun, he later cut the photo up (and did the same with my air pistols!)

From D day he went on to be stationed in Germany where, apparently he did a bit of "fraternising with the enemy" (there exists a possibility that I may have the odd German relative!) after repatriation he was picked to march in the victory parade as he was fairly tall and always smartly turned out (a trait I don't share with him)

My uncle Joe was a prisoner of war but never spoke of it to anyone.
    Just a passer by as you might say.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is an old POW camp near me and one who stayed on after the war used to live a few doors down, still has relatives local I believe.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was about '77 I was 14 mom dad and grandma were in back room, just me and my maternal grandfather watching the world at war, which was covering Auschwitz concentration camp, house high piles of bodies walking skeletons and narrator detailing gas chambers and numbers that were killed, when my grandfather, who had never spoken of his war experience decided to confide in me, that he was there, that the stench made you sick, that they made the german "bastadrs" clear the bodies up and when they refused they were beaten with the butts of rifles till they complied. quite disturbing but yet I suppose an honour that he chose to talk to me. after his death my father researched his military history blown out of the top of a tank in the 8th army and severely injured ended up with one leg 2" shorter than the other, after recovery ended the war as part of reconnaissance which is how he ended there clearing up, dad found he was awarded many medals none of which he collected, my grandma said the war changed him completely.

11. Likeschoppedblownpop liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information