Yank car, steering wheel on right... does it matter???
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Yank car, steering wheel on right... does it matter???

Today I picked up this lovely 1968 Chevy Impala on behalf of the estate of a buddy who passed away a few weeks ago. He had left instructions that I ws to sell it for his family if I didn't want to buy it myself. I'd love to own it but have a '56 T-Bird on the way over for my wife, so it's a no-go.
    This one is right hand drive, and I know that will mean the sale will most likely be in the UK, as it's no good in Europe or Scandinavia, and shipping to Australia may kill the deal, SO, is the right hand drive an advantage or disadvantage. Personally I like my left hand drive Yanks, but this big boat will be more than capable of overtaking, so maybe the steering on the right is a good thing? I don't know. I suppose what I'm most bothered about is trying to get as much money for the family as possible. I will in due course prep it for sale and get a price on it, but this thread is purely to discuss the merits or otherwise of a right hand drive American cruiser.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve never owned a RHD American car but can see how it could be a good selling point for some - makes it a bit ‘niche’ but practical for buyers who aren’t into LHD but want something that looks the part

4. Likeskapri, v8.jimmy liked this post
    Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice car , the sheer width of the car would make it more appealing to first time buyers I,d think, but back in the late 60,s early 70,s when I was buying yanks back home rhd was just about sale proof & not considered A REAL YANK amongst the small group of us that drove them back then, only the real purist would shy away from it these days I,d think either way it looks like a really nice car & if spent more time back home I,d asking how much ,good luck with it Jim .

6. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think theres a good market for rhd yanks.

Ive done a fair few converstions and had someone contact me this week about converting a truck to rhd.

May not have the same mass appeal as lhd ,but being factory rhd could make it more appealable than saying a home converted one.

Obviously though the die hard yank owners will frown at it,but never see the irony , when they put new Chinese made american racing wheels on their rides
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

8. Likesstu460, grizz, kapri, v8.jimmy liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had people queuing up to buy my old Australian RHD 46 Chevy pick up . I think it helps if it is an appealing model , as yours is ,as well.

10. Likesv8.jimmy liked this post
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so far guys,
    anth, yeah my thoughts too, it's more niche. but maybe a niche that's starved of suitable vehicles.
    Ray, yep, to a lot of Yank owners it wont be a REAL Yank, and I too prefer lhd as part of the novelty, but must admit that sometimes when overtaking rhd would be better in my old '57 as I'm not known for hanging about with it when going somewhere.
    Wayne, thanks for the reply, and now that you mention it, I remembered that a couple of my local buyers also converted their pickups to rhd. Like you say the purists wont like it but open minded guys like myself will see th merits.
    Kev, good to hear that and now that I've done a bit of research, this is an Australian car too. I was promted by one of the usual smart arse on fb, not interested in the car, but loving to be able to say "how come it has a '66 dash then??????" If only he was smart enough to get it right, it isn't a '66 dash. I found it to be a mix of '65 and '68 and then found that to be the Australian '68 version for rhd.
    Well it's sounding quite positive so far and thanks to Andy Ingles for his PM via fb, we've now got some sort of idea where to pitch it in the market....... once I get time to check it out fully and see any good or bad points...... as I need to do an accurate description whilst doing my best for the family.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very personal opinion.

I would flip a coin if offered the same car in LHD or RHD

Makes no difference to me.

But I certainly get why many people who want to immerse themselves into this “hobby” would want LHD.

I am the guy who tosses the Roses or Quality Street list of contents just to make it more interesting

I have no doubt you will find a great home for the car.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM MATE.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think I would rather have a RHD two-door Yank than a LHD four-door of the same model. Hopefully the RHD version is better than some early Jeep conversions ('70s-'80s) that appear to use a LHD chassis set-up with a big enclosed chain behind the dash for the steering, and I think with rods and levers transferring brake and clutch pedal actions!
    Screw EU

14. Likeskapri liked this post
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack; Seriously? Anyway, for me and a mate of mine, RHD all day but most of my Hot Rod buddies drive LHD.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chain drive lhd to rhd were quite common.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information