Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RockabillyBilly View Post
    Oh go on then....I'll ask (even though I reckon nearly everyone on here knows the answer...exept me of course) Why are American cars LHD while ours are RHD? The last explanation I heard was something to do with jousting of all things! Could be true of course but I know you will know the proper answer...unless jousting IS the proper answer.
    I'd assume it was something to do with being able to see to overtake, and so passengers can get out at the kerb side?, though I suppose when cars were first made, overtaking wasn't thought about, just getting the thing moving.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RockabillyBilly View Post
    Oh go on then....I'll ask (even though I reckon nearly everyone on here knows the answer...exept me of course) Why are American cars LHD while ours are RHD? The last explanation I heard was something to do with jousting of all things! Could be true of course but I know you will know the proper answer...unless jousting IS the proper answer.
    I must admit I had to look it up. You're basically right, apparently, it was because in more violent times you travelled on left so your right hand could get at your sword more quickly. Not sure about left handed people, or what they did in most of the rest of the world..........

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feck me! Bet there weren't many left handers around in the old days :0 although as a left handed meself, it is more dexterous, right is stronger!? So could steer the stallion and assail my opponent quite deftly !?
    "I'm not going to take this defeatist attitude and listen to all this crap any more from all these people who have nothing except doomsday to predict."
    Carroll Shelby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchero72 View Post
    LDH V8 auto I am still in the 70s
    With you bro!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    I'd assume it was something to do with being able to see to overtake, and so passengers can get out at the kerb side?, though I suppose when cars were first made, overtaking wasn't thought about, just getting the thing moving.....
    Up to the 30's you'd see prestige vehicles being sold as default RHD in many areas of the world that are now exclusively LHD. Didn't seem to bother the owners back then. Mind you when you have a chauffeur you ain't gonna be too concerned about something as trivial as that are you!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about it, a panel, van or sedan delivery would be far more user friendly here in RHD.

And my guess is that those countries that chose to drive on the right did it to be different to the (once upon a time) great British Empire
    Screw EU

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    I must admit I had to look it up. You're basically right, apparently, it was because in more violent times you travelled on left so your right hand could get at your sword more quickly. Not sure about left handed people, or what they did in most of the rest of the world..........
    I heard/read/dreamt that Napoleon was a left hander and made all his troops fight left handed and as he invaded made his aquired troops do the same, so they travelled on the right hand side of the road to be able to draw their sword. Countries that were not invaded continued to travel on the left as the majority of people are right handed. So probably it was imigrants travelling to America that decided to continue the same as their home land,.........but this maybe ********.
    It's only funny till someone gets hurt..........then it's friggin' hilarious

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies folks. Very interesting.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to disagree but I dont believe it was about swords and fighting it was about coach/waggon driving. The driver sits on the right hand side of the waggon because it was easier (for a right handed person) to use the whip. You drive/pass on the left because that made it easier to see. I believe it was the UK that first made it official ion Georgean times when the road system was being improved
    Even American stage coaches had the driver on the right (see the Deadwood Stage exert from the film Calamity Jane for conclusive proof)
    It has been said that the early American waggons didnt have seats and were driven from the lead horse which is why they passed on the right but I recon that the French and Americans (who we were at war with in those days) changed to drivung in the right just to be awkward.
    Last edited by Big Joe; 20-07-2019 at 06:49.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information