Absolute beginner and a bird to boot..Help!
Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute beginner and a bird to boot..Help!

Hi all! Hope i'm not going to p' off too many people by asking daft questions, but i would appreciate a point in the right direction if anyone can spare 5mins or so...
    I would like to buy a classic car. I quite probably shouldn't as i know nothing, need help to find out where to put the fuel in and spend far too long concentrating on interiors and colours than is in any way helpful! I apologise in advance to the ladies on here who are every bit as clued up as the lads and fight hard to be treated seriously only to have a total looneytune like me, ruin the female credability in one ickle email, but i do need a helping hand to start me in right direction, so here i am!!
    I want a 1950s yank. Prefer custom to shiny wedding type! But dont like em lowered, way too many speed bumps here for that! Automatic. If possible i'd quite like the steering to start operating at least after three turns of wheel, previous experience scared me to high heaven, more like steering a boat through water!! Although, if thats how they all are, i guess i'd get used to it?!! Love satin black..Cream, anything but green;blee! Can't afford roof chopped alas but that's always cool! Pref 10k or less, if its possible?! And unless it comes complete with a team of willing volunteers, i'd need the mechanics to be as sound as poss!
    So..Am i being the worlds biggest nob or is this idea possible? What make/model would you recommend i lean towards, if any?!! Don't all shout NONE at once! Chances are, i won't be on the road same time as you, you're quite safe!!! Just wondered if maybe there were ones slightly easier to drive than others? More girly friendly??!! Beginners starter for one, but still cool!! If someone could suggest a possible make/model and year 49-59 only...That'd be mighty helpful. I can then look them up and see if i like those ones as step one...Hey, i did say, absolute beginner! Thanks in advance.xx

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 50sgirly and welcome to Rods'n'Sods .......... Nice first post, you'll get plenty of ideas from the dark siders on here of what to buy but in my opinion Chevy is the way to go, reliable and afordable but then again i'm biased. good luck...........
    ..Nige..

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sarah,
    Bout the best advise I would give would be take your time, visit some show's, Wheels day, Billing,take a look at the 'what,where,when' section on here,and ideally go with someone who has owned a few of these type of cars, and ask plenty of questions. hopefully given good advise, you can be cruising and enjoying your new ride soon, Oh and welcome to Rods n Sods......Bry
    Hidden Content
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations
    Hidden Content
    Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

Hidden Content

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not going to advise on which car to buy as that is up to you, although I would take on board any advice given as there is a lot of knowledge on here.
    What I will say is that with an opening pitch like yours if you do buy a Yank you wont be left on your own to deal with any problems. I'm not a "newbie" to old cars as I've had loads of old stuff, but I am new to owning a rod. Whenever I've needed to ask for advice it has been given. Some of my questions are involved, some are of the most basic kind but all are treated with interest and if someone can help, they will. Hot rodding may be considered to be a man's world but somehow I don't imagine being a "girly" will be a disadvantage here...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hiya and welcome.

i think one piece of advice i would give is test drive whatever you go to look at.
    check if there are clubs for the models you like.

and ask stupid questions..... there only stupid if you know the answer
    good luck with the search.
    damn..bost it again.

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well you've started by doing the right thing... Asking questions. The day any of us stop asking questions is the day we stop moving forwards. I would say the advice so far is excellent. Try and narrow down your want list though. From what I've seen over the years having a far reaching list leads to making an impulse purchase which may not suit you long term. Ask plenty of questions and research as much as possible to determine exactly what you want in both style and the way your future purchase will drive. Try to get a feel for values and also what those values have done and how they have fluctuated over time. This can help you to understand just how much is 'the right money' and 'have I bought well'.
    Don't feel intimidated by men as there are plenty of women driving these kind of cars and I'm sure talking to some of them would put your mind at rest. Most of all ask away and have fun!
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Official RnS Addict TheOldShedSquad's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya, and welcome. There's always excellent advice on offer here, and never be afraid to ask - nobody's born knowing this stuff. You're starting to look at an odd time of year, though. As you're a "50sgirly" it might be worth considering going along to the Rhythm Riot cruise in Camber Sands a week on Sunday. I know the weekender's sold out but the cruise is open to all, and you'll see plenty of 50s cars to take your pick from. And talk to the owners - when i started out, I was a bit shy about talking to the owners of cars I liked. "Will they speak to me?" I thought. Well they will - most of the time it's getting them to shut up about them that's the problem! Have fun...
    You CAN polish a turd...
    ... but I wouldn't want to T-Cut it

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, thanks guys! So basically get out there, ask as many questions as i like to as many people as i can, and if i wear a bikini top while i'm doing it, i should find people more than willing to be pumped for info?!!! Lol! Great plan!
    I can't make Rhythmn Riot i'm afraid, i'm away, so i'll miss out on having a chat there. Have done the Rave and Hemsby but purely as a "seatcover" i believe you call it?! Alas, no longer with the fella so lost the adorable car along with him.....Boy i miss that car!!!
    Talk at Rockin do's was mainly "big blocks" and "valves", as you say, rather intimidating for the total simpleton and not wanting to appear a total airhead, i found it best to keep quiet. Besides, at that time, i didn't know i'd be needing to get my own!!! ;-]
    So..No rush decisions, pluck up courage to chat to a friendly looking grease monkey, poss a chevy from one who's biased?! Narrow down my list... Hmm, ok then..
    At the risk of offending half the forum, what in Gods name is putting modern seats and steering wheels in 50s cars all about??!!! MUST have bench seats. Similarly, modern wheels? Noooo, white wall tyres please! There! Thats a start?! No convertibles, not keen on two seaters, no Corvettes, if its four door, prob shave the rear door handles off?! think i prefer Pontiacs/Chevys/Olds/Buick. Don't think i like Fords. Don't want a truck! Hey, this is easy!!!! Now, out of my shortened list, i have to find out which is considered easier to drive/maintain etc.. Suggestions on a postcard?!
    Also, while i'm woobling on, i'm going to States next year, have romantic notion of finding "The One" over there and shipping him home!! Very bad or very good idea??! Am i trying to run before i can walk?! Better to buy from UK? I'll shut up now. Thanks for your help and warm welcome!!xx

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I'd second the above comments, when I wanted to buy my first yank I plucked up the courage to walk down the queue of cars at Santa Pod exit and ask all the Camaro drivers about their cars and what they were like to own, how much to repair etc and they were all really helpful. As said above, it was hard to shut them up, lol!

Chevy's are mechanically cheap to repair and mostly easy for parts, body wise I don't know.

Buy the best bodywork car you can find (dont trust shiny paint either - find out the areas that rot on whatever model of car you end up wanting and check them out really well) bodywork is expensive to fix, mechanics are usually less expensive and at least can be fixed quickly.

Good luck on your hunt!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 50sgirly View Post
    Aww, thanks guys! So basically get out there, ask as many questions as i like to as many people as i can, and if i wear a bikini top
    WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE,,,,and we need all the bikini pictures you care to post,,,,,,[its the law for newbies]
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information