Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome,
    Don't forget the local meets. Don't know where in Kent you are but there is a meet at Dean's Diner › Chatham › Home on the first Thursday every month and also Invicta Roadsters-Kent's Premier Street Rod Club on the third Saturday. There won't be as many this time of the year as compared to the summer months but still worth a visit to meet like minded people who may know of a car for sale that may suit you. Good luck
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case, just a coincidence? I don't think so!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of your narrowed down group the Chevy will probably be easiest to get parts for but if you want a 55/6/7 it will probably cost the most initially. Nothing wrong with a 4 door and it keeps the price down a bit. Mechanical parts on them are very straightforward and easy. The Buick and Olds are probably a little more luxurious and some parts can be pricey but lovely to drive if a little more boat-like. Chevs can be easily upgraded to drive much more in keeping with modern road conditions.
    Pre 55 you have that lovely rounded body line carried on from the forties and then 57 onwards you enter the jet age. Totally different cars in character so keep narrowing!
    Read and surf are your priorities initially and as was said above get out to some meets and chat to people.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha ha ha!! Satan, nice try hon, i mean i'm not quite that stooopid!! Almost, but not quite, lol!! Anyhoo, moving hastily away from my lawbreaking activities by declining to post semi naked photos on here......! thanks for info all, taking it all in, esp the meets near me in Kent, thanks Col33.
    Inspired by plumpcars post above, i just spent four hours google image searching as many cars as i could, hadn't thought to search by year (Doh!) and although pathetically i'm drawn to all the cream ones!! i know, i know, how sad am i?! I seem to like... 1952 chevy styeline deluxe bel air hardtop coupe....1950 buick with mean looking teeth and split windscreen?!...1953 Oldsmobile 2dr hardtop....Pontiac 1950 4dr fastback...Pontiac 1950 catalina chieftaine 2dr hardtop....Cadillac coupe de ville 1957...1951 Olds Rocket 98 4dr sedan...1951 ninety eight 4dr sedan Olds... Buick 1949 Riviera hardtop...Pontiac 1948 deluxe torpedo streamliner sedan.. Pontiac 1948 silver streak.. Just how/when and why i've suddenly included late 40s cars into the equation, i'm not sure/ But they're gorgeous!!
    So where are we now then??! Any of the above suitable do we think? Or have i picked non existant availability or too expensive for normal souls to buy? Whats the visor thingy that goes across top of windscreen and looks like an eyebrow? I need one of them! I also like rear wheels half covered, are they fender skirts/ Or not?! ..Look at me, getting all brave and asking ridiculous questions!!! Thanks for putting up with me!!xx

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Exceeded sell by date Plumpcars's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well apart from the 57 Cad you've fallen into a much tighter pattern! They are all do-able and we now have a better picture of what turns you on. The visors tended to be accessories and are available so no sweat there. Many cars of that era had a low fender arch line and again fender skirts available so all is good in your world.
    Mechanically the above choices restrict you a little but not beyond hope. Cars pre 55 were a little more basic in both engine and suspension/steering design. This tends to mean that they are somewhat more basic to drive with older suspension design especially on the front and generally less road feel. The Buick would probably be a straight eight motor which I think are gorgeous and smooth but you become more restricted as to who will work on it. Friends of mine traded an early fifties Chevy between them the other year which was a superb looked after car. When the second one bought it he was surprised to find that his wife loved driving it and had no problems at all. She had never driven American before. I believe it was sold onto a woman as well who I assume is still loving it. To get an idea of relevant Stateside values take a look at Cars Online.Com. Not the be all and end all of values but a good guide to how the prices of your selection relate to each other.
    Looks in the American world were very similar from late forties to fifty five so no surprise at how your eye has been drawn.
    Why not do an intro on here in the 'Who Are You' section and then the people in the Kent area will probably be more welcoming when you start asking questions at their meets. Also sounds like you need to be looking at the Hayride and the Rally Of The Giants next year.

www.53catalina.co.uk 53catalina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi and welcome to RnS.
    Another issue that might narrow down your list is Power Steering and Power Brakes. these tend to be found on cars from 54 onwards. The PAS can be very LIGHT and cause the car to wander, but you may prefer that to very HEAVY unassisted steering. Pumping up the tyres by an extra 2-4 psi can make a huge difference though.
    good luck in your choice.

I have seen a couple of reasonable priced cars in Classic American recently from the 50's, one was about half your budget so leaves plenty for playing with.

Official RnS Addict wakesupremo's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 50sgirly. Don't take any notice of what anyone on here tells you. Just get your baps out and post the pics. You'll get as much help as anyone can handle. Oh and by the way, welcome to a new way of life.
    If it's got tits or tyres, its gonna be trouble

Official RnS Addict insanityvans's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE,,,,and we need all the bikini pictures you care to post,,,,,,[its the law for newbies]
    You never asked for mine you sexist beast!
    Creator of fine sawdust from solid wood!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by insanityvans View Post
    You never asked for mine you sexist beast!
    "didnt bloody have too" nearly everyone in the nsva has seen 'em
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 50sgirly, and welcome to best and nuttiest site for car lovers on the net with theBEST advice you could ask for.....some of it even clean,(down satan),but I wonder if you already know what you want...."Alas, no longer with the fella so lost the adorable car along with him.....Boy i miss that car!!!"
    What was it and could you have a better version of it than his?
    Welcome
    Spike

Official RnS Addict insanityvans's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by satan View Post
    "didnt bloody have too" nearly everyone in the nsva has seen 'em
    Fair point, I guess.....
    Creator of fine sawdust from solid wood!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information