Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

1932 Ford Roadster

After looking for some months for a suitable project to start me down the path of building a hot rod I finally found something that I could afford and needed loads of work which means I can still get my hands dirty for quite a while.

I took delivery of a '32 Ford chassis setup with front and rear Model A crossmembers, an original '32 K crossmember and stainless steel spreader bars.

The chassis has been tacked and bolted together so I can finish off the welding and prep for paint.

As part of the package I also bought a '32 firewall, '34 steering box/pitman arm, '34 column, '40 column cover, '34 pedal assembly, a dual port master cylinder and a few bits 'n bobs.

So up on the trestles it went so I could strip off all the parts so I could clean up the chassis and remove all the red paint.

Which left me with this pile of bits....................

http://www.thirtieshotrod.com/images...tripped002.jpg

Then I had to wait a week to collect the next batch of parts from Wheels Day in Aldershot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    At Wheels Day I collected a few parts from Dukesville and an original '32 wishbone from a chap off NSRA.

From Dukesville came the '32 steel grill shell, '32 grill insert, Vintique '32 petrol tank and F1 Stainless steel upper shock paints.

Sadly I did'nt manage to find a '32 front axle and spring so I had to widen my search.

Over the following week I managed to get the chassis rails cleaned up but I am now waiting for the electrician to arrive so I can fire up my compressor to run my shot blaster as I need that to do the crossmembers.

Then as if by magic my Chevy T5 gearbox arrived with all the right goodies to connect it up to a Flathead V8.

While not in the garage I managed to source a 4 piece steel hood, a pair of Lincoln self energising front brakes and a '39/40 rear axle. I had to collect them all from the NASC Swap Meet which was fun in my little car and 3 occupants

The hood tops were split at each end of the lip that joins them together but after one night in the garage on Sunday and one half has been welded up, the other hlaf will be done tonight.

That's it for now but I do go out in the garage nearly everynight so be warned there may be alot of updates! For a daily diary/blog check out my site www.thirtieshotrod.com.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lot's of updates on this one

I managed to source from a number of people enough parts to assemble a front end, a '32 heavy axle, spring, wishbone and spindles.

I sand blasted the axle and wishbone, de-chromed the spring and left the spindles as they were already spotless.

To hang it all together I got a pair of stainless perch bolts and lower shock mounts, a set of '32 king pins, '32 track rod ends, '32 shackle kit, spring clamps and spring u-bolts and clamp. I now had all the parts to start assembling...........

As I'm trying to build a Traditional looking car I am trying to replace Nylocs with castle nuts etc and Miles a Namco now does these lower shock mount bolts to replace the button head ones that seem to come with most of them.

As you may remember I was originally going to use Lincoln brakes all round but to speed things up I managed to get a complete front axle running late 40's brakes so I bought that, removed the brakes and then sold the axle and bits.

Just needed to strip and clean them both before fitting.

I needed to use the early spindle to hyraulic brake adapters.

I just couldn't resist fitting the wheels, I know I know!!

and the front axle as it stands today.......................

Next update, dismantling the '34 steering box and column for a degrease and freshen up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have decided to trial fit absolutely everything once it has been cleaned and once I have a rolling, stopping, starting chassis I will strip it back down and paint in one go.....................

Rear axle back in with the P&J ladder bars, I won't set this up with the correct angles until the chassis is rolling.

With the front axle on it's now time to strip the steering box..........

So I started with a '34 box and column with a 40's cover.

Then the fun started, soaking bits in degreaser and then running the wire brush over them.

Only hassle I had was having to remove a bracket off the column so all the remaing parts could be removed, I ended up having to drill the old screws out.

Quick build up before I stripped it all back down while I wait for a gasket set.

Now you're all up to date

I'm waiting for a track rod and the rear brakes to arrive, then I should have some more updates.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive been following this on the other site you have the makings of a lovely 40s hot rod there good luck with it some inspiration pics

Eights For Show, Fours For Go

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers for that, the stance of the first pic is just so spot on for what I want to achieve.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great build,gonna be watchin this one,keep em comin mate ,Bry
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bry, trying me hardest to keep it going, especially as it's my first attempt at a rod

Had a quick visit to the garage tonight to fit the pedal assembly, after a false start I went in a treat............... well I say a treat until I looked at where the grease nipple goes

Need to think of a way around this, so before I cut and shut anything I need to get a push rod kit to see what flexibility I have in moving the brake pedal push rod mount.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it, looks like you got some really good parts there to make a trad' rod.
    High tec rods.....elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clarky,looking at that pic,it might be best to weld/braze the existing hole up and drill and re-tap it where you want it?,you'll need to reem it out of course-just a thought,Bry
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information