Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

1962 Chevy C-20 Fleetside

Fingers are a bit tired after tapping out my Mustang’s life story, so I’ll keep this one brief !!

Bought through a contact in the Mustang Club, I bought this old long-wide over a year ago, but the seller has done some work for me before shipping

This is how it was when I agreed to buy it

Started off by getting a new screen...

Then, when pricing up the cost of an engine rebuild and bespoke 62 suspension parts, things got a bit more radical…!!

Donor 1977 C-20 (3/4te, complete with Goodwrench motor)

Mocking up

Some may say it’s sacrilegious, but most won’t spot it, plus it’ll benefit me with power steering, power brakes, coil springs, etc, etc. Any tips on avoiding a Q plate are most welcome !!

Then, things started to go a bit pear-shaped with the builder’s home life, so updates were few and far between. All of a sudden though, I got a call to say it was sat at California Connection’s site in Ramona, ready to go.

It’s since landed and been offloaded at their place in Derby and all seems well. I had hoped to get it lowered over there (notch and flip kit), but preparatory work has been done so shouldn’t be too difficult once time and money allows.

It’s got a 3’ Lokar Radical shifter and matching handbrake, plus I’ve got the obligatory Mexican blankets, etc, etc to go on. No plans other than to lower it, drive it, maybe paint over the primer (and age it to match the weathered stuff) and then, possibly, tow the Mustang (Trans-Am tribute) to shows as a matching period unit…?

More to follow as and when…!!
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good........... pm sent

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 296moon View Post
    Looking good........... pm sent
    Cheers - replied

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got the Truck delivered on Tuesday and pushed into it’s new home (not much room to spare going through the door!). First impressions are pretty positive - there’s some fettling to be done, but overall it’s bone dry and pretty clean underneath. Slight kiss on the leading edge of the hood to straighten, plus it needs an exhaust before it can be road-tested, so hopefully no nasty surprises there…

Then, just tyres, windscreen washers and headlamp conversion before MoT/registration (hopefully).

The truck came with a shiny chrome rear bumper that I’m looking to trade for a scabby one if anyone’s interested…??

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    FINALLY got a day to work on the truck - two steps forward, one step back as I keep finding more bits that haven't been done properly (or at all)

Oh well, we'll get there in the end. Bits just done;

Rear plate mounted and illuminated

Shifter properly adjusted

Amber (chrome) bulbs for UK indicators

Modified bonnet catch as no return springs

Headers on, cabling re-routed

New blades to wipers

New battery

Started to pull wiring as horn / oil pressure / charging light / temp gauge all inoperative

Handbrake – real fooker of a job as Lokar universal cables anything but...

As 1-ton rear axle is a full-floated had to get the axles out and hubs off to access brakes. Then back plates had to be modified for Lokar cables, etc, etc.

Took the opportunity to bolt on new rear wheels & tyres (thanks to TrevD)

Got bored after the handbrake so did some fun stuff to finish the day off ;

New rear-view mirror and sun visors

Faux-patina’d STP sticker from a new one I had kicking around

Offered up my storage chest

Mexican blankets waiting patiently to go in

Exhaust next...

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    as far as registering goes stamp the '62 vin number on the current chassis nice and visible somewhere and go with the '62 paperwork. who at a dvla office will know the difference between early and late chassis'. neil

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a decent day on the truck at the weekend. Handbrake still not working properly, so out with the axles, off with the drums (received my special 6-pronged socket from eBay USA within 6 days) and adjusted up. Seems to grab nicely, but any minor tweaks on the MoT rollers can be done at the handbrake end.

Now time to make up an exhaust. Bought myself a pipe bender and various component parts and just went for it. I’m resigned to the fact that my skills are limited, so simple bends and clamps are the order of the day.

Managed to flatten the pipe on my first go, but swapping from the 2.5” to the 2” die produced better results, as the pipe (despite being 2.5”) sat in it perfectly and prevented the sides from expanding. Go figure.

Thanks to those who responded to my question about the positioning of the silencers – I put them towards the end and, more importantly, beyond the edge of the cab to avoid any droning. System made up as follows; headers > gasket-less ‘Header Buddies’ > bend > straight > chambered silencer > turndown.

Turned out okay (but looking back at the pics the silencers need straightening up, but that’s just details) and sounds pretty good too. Done.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like what you have done here very much ! All the character of the older model with all the practical things like disc brakes and power steering from the newer truck .
    If I ever have the spare funds [probably never] I would love a 60s chevy truck , they seem to get more out of reach with every passing year. Thanks for posting.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truck still needs fettling but finally has MOT !

Went straight to the DVLA office in Ipswich and, praise where praise is due, the chap couldn't have been more helpful - in and out in 10 minutes and, to my amazement, letter arrived two days later complete with registration mark and tax disc !

No inspection required (thank fook) but they did retain the title and guess who forgot to take a copy...

Pressing matters post-MoT are; upper ball joints (MoT advisory, which will be replaced over the winter along with lowers and hopefully new, lowered coil springs) and rust-proofing. Then, in time, I’ll redo the bed mounts (hastily welded on in the States), plumb in a heater (ex-Mini), renew all of the cab seals, flip the rear axle (notching the frame whilst the bed is off) and various numerous little jobs.

Last couple of pics;

Alternator rebuilt – surprisingly easy with kit from eBay

Moon gauges to cover hacked-up radio hole

Trans tunnel relieved for Lokar kit – to be tided and plated over

And finally, Mexican blankets in (more orangey than they look) – note tax disc !

Fin.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    as far as registering goes stamp the '62 vin number on the current chassis nice and visible somewhere and go with the '62 paperwork. who at a dvla office will know the difference between early and late chassis'. neil
    A vehicle such as this can be legitimatelt registered as per the donor chassis . The body carries no points in the identity on a CHASSIED vehicle. DVLA don't have to know the difference, if they have the slightest doubt they simply ask for you to arrange a confirmation letter from an owners club on their V765 Authorised list.

Full details here

Importing Modified vehicles - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

and here

Rebodying - A clarification - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in