Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Email Address Not Working Street's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1972 Rover P6 Gassing Project (Rear Now Riding High!)

Right, I put an afternoon in on this project because I want to get the P6 up and running asap!

The wings that Kevfromwales collected and stored for me came through on the epic road trip that Kev took delivering a thousand petrolhead's Ebay fancies like Santa Claus ;D

^ The wings are fibreglass to replace the rotten steel ones. P6's with fibreglass wings in the classic car circuit are boo'd and hissed at, but I'm not too interested in originality as you will see and I was very impressed with the weight difference.

^ I improved the weight loss slightly further by trimming off the lower edge like I'd tried out on the steel one.

^ Yup, looks about right!

^ Luckily the wings had already been fitted to something so all that was needed was a good flatting with 600 and then I hit them with red oxide, which is a surprisingly good colour match!

Now, on with the fun stuff!

^ Here are the new springs and shocks, old on the left, new on the right.
    They're Monroe heavy duty shocks that are stiffer than the originals for towing, and the springs are around 1" taller than stock and stiffer too. Also in the background you can see the spring assisters that Mattblack brought over and gave me for free.....

^ Which I wrestled on there. I think he said they were for a Landrover? But they fit nice and snug and should see a further 1.5-2 inches height improvement and stiffen up the rear even more, which should help with launches!

I fitted it all up which was a bit of a faff but it's all coming apart again soon to replace all the bushes. I should be thankful that all the bolts and nuts were free which is surprising!

^ But all this spannering was far too quiet for a Sunday teatime so I began to mark out the new arch to make room for the wide wheels which I was dying to get on!

^ I decided to use the front wing arches on the rear because I'd newly aquired a set after putting the fibreglass wings on previously.
    They're in fair condition, bit of surface rust but the steel is thick on these and the arches are no more rusty than the rear wings I'm sticking them to!

^ Chop chop! I got the tin snips out and roughly cut the arches to shape. The rear doors and inner rear wheel arch wasn't going to be as easy....

^ ....... But not that difficult. The unwanted bodywork fell to the floor in a shower of sparks and noise.

^ Straight through the door! Patching that up should be a doddle and I've got inner wing repairs to do on the rear so I'll sort that lot out later.

^ And now I could finally get the 8.5J rear slotties on, wahoo!

^ Yup that's just about the right height at that. I was jumping up nd down on the rear and it seems to have settled about there, but may come down a fraction once the otehr side is done.... Or go up a fraction?! I dunno. Anyway, more pics....

Riding high now! I reckon it's up about 3 inches in total with the tyres added, and I put the jack under the front for those shots at about 3" lift too but in reality I might go 1-2 inches higher than that.

Also, you might notice the front tyres are letting the side down a bit, way too wide for the look I'm trying to go for.

7.50 14 crossplys courtesy of Kev once again which he let me have FOC. There's a pair but unfortunately one is just for mocking up purposes because the sidewall has cracked a bit, but I'm on the hunt for another one and should make the front end look a lot better!
    Still not sure what rear ttyres I'm using. I was originally worried about the width but in reality they stick out of the arches a nice amount!
    I'd like some cheater slicks but I might have to find something a bit more in budget. But I love how the wide rears transform it into a crazy looking machine! It's really starting to look like the 70's Gasser survivor that I'm aiming for

A problem with getting high with a P6 is the rear axle alters the toe-in when you jack one up:

^ But I have the remedy for that I think so no worries there.
    So it's getting closer! Be nice to find the elusive carburettor and manifold I need for it to run but all in good time, plenty to do while I'm waiting and I'll update with that soon.
    Thanks for reading!
    '72 Rover P6 3500V8 Gasser Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

sjb
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Street View Post
    But I love how the wide rears transform it into a crazy looking machine! It's really starting to look like the 70's Gasser survivor that I'm aiming for
    Thats the look i like

Are you going to put a hood scoop on ie-55 Chevy two lane blacktop style,or 70s pro stock like on "Tender Trap" or even upturned sump like what was on that yellow Humber in the 70s.

Last edited by sjb; 10-05-2010 at 07:46.

Lee
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1972 Rover P6 Gasser Project (Warning: Pic Heavy!!)

That's starting to look real tough. Well done!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done those wheels look great,it`s like the seventies all over again.The back wheels you've got just right.Bet you can't wait to get all four on.Keep up the good work
    If it bleeds, we can kill it.http://www.supermotors.net/21407

Official RnS Addict Fox & Hounds's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an idea... What about loosing the front bumper, like you would on a '55/'57 gasser?

Email Address Not Working Street's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys!
    Yeah a hood scoop has been suggested by others too, it might be the way to go. I did have a bug catcher type scoop to go on the carb but I wasn't too sure about it on this car so I sold it on. But I'm thinking some sort of scoop that I could level out the bonnet line a bit with might work best. I'll have a look at some of the pics in the history & archive section (My favorite section of this forum!) and find some inspiration.

Thew front bumper I think is going to go yes. At the minute the trouble is the radiator hangs down to bumper level so if I remove it it will look a bit ugly, but I'm on the hunt for a shallower radiator off a modern so that I can make a new radiator cradle that tucks up out of sight a little more.
    I'm thinking of keeping the rear bumper, but I am going to trim back the lower edge of the rear quarters and lose a bit of the rear panel like I've down with the front, mainly after looking at Henry Hirise and how great that looks! I'll sort out the arches then and get a neater profile, then get the rear quarters in red oxide which should help it all look a bit more cohesive I think.
    It will all end up red oxide for this time out but I have a nice colour scheme planned for the future

Thanks for looking, I'll update with more when I get some time on the old girl!
    '72 Rover P6 3500V8 Gasser Project

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

That's looking really good.

I'd leave the front bumper on but lose the overriders (on the rear as well), or make up a straight round tube style bar with the ends capped and domed.
    Last edited by WagonMan; 11-05-2010 at 15:00.

sjb
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to trim back the lower edge of the rear quarters and lose a bit of the rear panel like I've down with the front, mainly after looking at Henry Hirise and how great that looks!
    Sounds good-The "High n Mighty" MK2 Zephur and a few other MK2s were done like that aswell also a yellow PB Cresta.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

hi street
    give T.C a pm he built a p6 back in the 70s he may be able to send you some pics & some help with the suspension ......Guy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovin this thread cool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information