Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I'm a grown up member now ! morrisoxide's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its going to be cool wafting into Leeds cruise chopped and flamed.
    P.S. Sorry I couldn't pop around on sat. I went for a new angle grinder (cos your Oldsmobile broke my old one) but ended up in Lincolnshire for some reason.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    26/05

Before I start - none of us have ever done a roof chop on a curved glass car before. I've done it on a couple of 30s bodied cars, but they're pretty easy as most of the curves arent compound so its relatively easy to take a slice out of the pillars and line them back up. This was a whole different ball game due to the shape of the roof. After numerous photoshops I decided that I wan't to keep the roof the same shape as stock but lower.

First job was to remove the windscreen. Unscrewed the chrome trim and popped it off and it cracked the screen lol. Tried getting it out in one piece and it wasn't having any of it so just brayed it out. Now fits nicely in the bin.

We then welded a large amount of box section in the shell to stop it doing funny things when we lopped the roof off.

We decided to sort the rear of the roof out first and make the A pillars match. Due to the roof having a large taper on the sides we chopped the roof as close to the A pillars as possible at the front so when we add a section back in it won't have a noticeable flat section. We then got on with chopping through the roof pillars.

Pretty soon we had a convertible.

And then we removed 4" from each pillar as I only had 2" masking tape, then after a bit of trimming off the inner roof skin plonked the roof back on for a look.

Then Kev had a sit in it to check space. Bare in mind he's sat on a piece of wood on the floor I think its pretty much perfect. Original plan was 6" chop but it'd be severely limiting headroom.

There aren't any photos of the next step, but we basically tacked the O/S C pillar in place with the window line in the right place. We then built a frame to support the front of the roof and level it, as the next job was to split the roof down the centre and widen it. You can see in the previous photos that the C pillars no longer line up. Took a fair bit of measuring and faffing to get it all lined up, but eventually we got the other C pillar tacked on and it all tacked together with box section to keep it level. After a bit of measuring it was found that it's within 3mm of square, that'll do for me, probably was no better than that before we chopped it.

I think we're all absolutely chuffed with how it's come out, it looks just the right height in the metal and we don't seem to have many any glaring errors so far.

Gonna try and get the A pillars done today, then it's a case of filling the gaps and welding some strength back into it as the whole roof is double skinned.

Official RnS Addict Flamed Cortina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Lookin' good, keep at it. Hope to see it out 'n' about soon?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flamed Cortina - Ta, it's gonna run over my original target due to the extra work in the bulkhead to fit the engine. At the latest target is the Fueled Society show in the middle of July.

Yesterdays work.

The front edge is taking a lot more time than I thought. I was working on my own so couldn't even hold it in place to get a rough idea. Ended up adding more box section, with ajustable legs to hold the front section in place allowing me to alter the height and the rotation of it. Managed to get it tacked in place in the end, with a 5mm drop towards the screen over the 6" gap, which seems perfect for how the window line runs.

Also popped the roof skin I chopped out of the Proton on and the curvature is perfect. Winner.

And was messing about with the panning mode in my phone to show how much box section is in it so far.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering, whats your plan for the front screen? I'm probably going to have to replace the one on my 1970 ninety-eight as the laminate has clouded round the edges and getting one imported from the US seems a rather expensive way of doing it (rockauto want £200 for the screen and £330 to ship it!)

Official RnS Addict Cycolac Fan's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely job so far, enjoying this thread - anything happened recently?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in