Hi all, after coming to the conclusion the 1.8 in my camper was not only lacking on power but mega thursty on fuel, I decided to squeeze a V8 in there . At least then it can be thirsty as a greater speed than 40mph.
The plan is to fit the V8 with a chevy rear axle as close to 3.5:1 as I can get to sort out the power and cruising speed issue she had. The exterior of the van is to be tidied up and re-sprayed in the same dark blue and the wife is going to have a go at Bomber plane style nose art on the front doors . I also have a set of steel 8 spoke wheels to go on her when i have the chevy axle and hubs sorted. TrevD has also done some ally work for me so I can use a 2BBL Holley instead of those soppy SU's
The story so far.....
All the front is stripped out, front panel is removed and the carpet and seats from the cab is stripped out. I am doing this the hard way, and not lifting the front of the van off its front suspension and cross member, this is due to my lifting frame deciding to fold on me, which frightened the poo out of me and set me back quite a bit.
I have had to remove the engine from the big hole in the front which sounds easier than it is. I was going to remove the head first so I just had to lift the block out, but the exhaust manifold bolt heads for that have rusted away to nowt and some of the head bolts are under the manifold, so the cooked 1800 had to come out in one piece.
Bloody stupid place to put an engine!!! lol
Engine mounts are now cut off and the metal work that surrounds the engine has been cleaned and painted black. I will do the rest of the bulkhead when I fit halogen headlamps.
I have removed the water tank from under the van as this was in the way of the new transmission and guess what? It was very full, of very stagnant water and it went everywhere, so I jumped in the shower quick. The van had been standing for 5 years when I bought it and I didn't put the water in there, I bet there was some lovely infections/illnesses waiting to happen in there, it certainly smelt bad enough.
After pretty much dropping the engine through the van onto the ground underneath (whoops) I have finally managed to man handle it to where I think it wants to be. Progress is a lot slower than I expected or wanted but this is a proper awkward job. After this I think I'll stick to vehicles with the engine under the bonnet and not the floor!! I really should have arranged for another body to give me a hand with this as I needed to be at the front of the van while also being underneath and inside, all at the same time.
I will update the thread as I make progress, hopefully this weekend (weather permitting) I will be cutting out the floor to make room for the heads and welding the new engine mounts in.