Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Evening,
    Not touched the van for a while so I thought I'd better do something today. That was until the **** weather ruined the day . So I decided to do the dash cluster instead.

Many Thanks again to TrevD for the machining work on the outer fascia. The clocks were sourced from a Rover P6 3500S, and the "THIS WAY & THAT WAY" are gong to flash green for the indicator tell tale lights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick progress update. Not much happening really, have been spending most of my time decorating (which is fun ). Any way, I have removed the suspension mounts from the CF axle and welded them to a Rover SD1 axle. The gives the van a more comfortable final drive ratio of 3.08:1 instead of the original 5.44:1 that the van comes equipped with. Now all bolted up with the new rear wheels fitted.

The tyres need changing, they are currently 265/70R15's on there but I am going to re-furbish the wheels and fit a set of 265/50R15's to the rear. Not sure what size is going on the front yet?

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sterling work here - good on yer ! I'm similarly lumbered with an underpowered and thirsty CF Autosleeper and have posted on the classics and yesterday's heroes forum asking advice on engines/boxes: Re-engine a Bedford CF ?

Rude question and don't worry if it's too personal - but what did you spend on sourcing the engine/box and rear end and what do you reckon the total cost of the project will be ?

Hope the weather improves and good luck with the rest of it - it's going to be very nice !

Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, just read this. Been kinda off the scene lately due to other commitments. Still got the van and the Plymouth though and they are much in the same state as they were 2 years ago, it has been a case of lock em up and forget about them for a while . The total cost of the build so far including the cost of the van is £1300-£1500.

Anyway, decorating is done and we have (kind of) financailly recovered from house move so I am back on the case. Kicked the van out of the workshop last weekend to have a sweep up and clear out. Plummed in the cooling system and fuel lines, fitted the exhaust headers, wired in the eleccy fuel pump and ign system, and then found the starter to be srewed . Next weekend I intend to make the wiring loom for the custom dash and re-locate the stero to the rear of the van with a remote control on the dash. Exhaust needs finishing and sidepipes need mounting, carb needs jetting, a bit of welding required at the rear, engine cover needs fabricating and all doors need changing as they are rotten. Then (in theory) she's good to to for MOT and be used. Not touching the manky bodywork for a while, going to run her as she is and work out and teething issues before I worry about paint.

Last edited by fingers; 29-04-2013 at 11:21.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update....

The cooling system is completely plummed in and ready to be filled, and the front panel of the van has been re fitted. The old cluster hass been removed and dash switches have been re-located, you wouldn't believe the amount of surplus wire there was in this thing. Someone at some point had installed some extra electrics and then removed than at a later dat but left all the wire behind....
    The throttle and kickdown linkage have been made. Upon fitting the exhaust I found that the Turbo silencers I have are too large to fit under the van. on the drivers side there is not enough room between the prop and the fuel tank to hang the silencer and the can not go at the back as therea re 2 spare wheels there (front and rear PCD do not match). After informing the wife of this (its her van) she replied "Sell the silencers and just hook the headers up straght to the side pipes"..... O.K. luv, lets see how long you can drive about with a straight through exhaust? I bet it aint long....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its alive!! It actually bloody runs and sounds sweet too.

And that is all for now, I'm off for a beer.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Wahey! What a great feeling that must be.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was awesome. I had never had the engine running before and to hear it fire up was just brilliant. A few more weekends in the batcave and it may even be ready for our camping hols in August.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    That's brilliant. Ive got thst to come as I've not heard mine run yet and it'll be a while yet. Probably 12 months away.

Keep at it and it'll soon be done.

Jon
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its taken me a while to get here too, I moved house halfway through the build and at one point thought I was going to have to abandon it, but with a combination of patience and stubborness its eventually getting there.

Here's a short vid from yesterday, this is the very first time I heard her run....
    https://www.facebook.com/video/embed...51759714414343
    Its a goodjob the vdeo stopped there as I spent te next 10 minutes bouncing round like an over exited child....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information