Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  25
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    How do you keep all of that (excellent) metalwork rust free?
    Cheers mate , I have been asked before and I mentioned that I have used WD40 to keep the rust at bay .After I posted this I realised I have never sprayed the cab and bonnet pieces only the pick up bed .I have just purchased a can of GIBBS so I will give this a try on the front end bits and pieces .Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vT_pop View Post
    Mental vision and skills there Mark...... I think every superlative has already been used by someone posted here apart from this one.. FFS your skills are mental mate. I would love to come and see you truck next year when I am piling some miles on the 55. I have some mates in Eastleigh and Southampton so would love to come and have a quick look and a chat. Wouldn't stay long as I know how precious garage time is and it's not great to be disturbed when you want to get on.

Regards John
    Hi John, thank you so much for the comments .
    You are always welcome to pop in for a " garage tour " ( it will not take long ).I will make sure the other half has stocked up with tea,coffee ,biscuits and cakes !!!!!!.Please stay as long as you like .......I'm sure when the tea starts flowing we will be chatting for hours .Speak soon .Mark.
    I hope you will take me for a spin around the block in the stunning 55.!!!!!!
    Last edited by markyb37; 04-12-2014 at 22:09.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by markyb37 View Post
    Hi John, thank you so much for the comments .
    You are always welcome to pop in for a " garage tour " ( it will not take long ).I will make sure the other half has stocked up with tea,coffee ,biscuits and cakes !!!!!!.Please stay as long as you like .......I'm sure when the tea starts flowing we will be chatting for hours .Speak soon .Mark.
    I hope you will take me for a spin around the bock in the stunning 55.!!!!!!
    Look forward to it Mark it's a 4 door so it is made for mates rides

John
    My Pop Build thread https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...op-build-32191
    My 55 Chevy Resto https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tri...ed-today-67186
    Anyone can drive a fast car, not everyone can drive a car fast!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really achieved much over the past few weekends but have managed to get a couple of bits moved forward which allows me to crack on with other areas (of which there are many ).
    As I said a couple of jobs that are fairly small but take a huge amount of time to complete !!!!( I think I'm just bloody slow !!!!).
    The first one was to get the O/S fender support to the same stage as the other side (although I still have to make and weld on the rain water flange on the top )
    When I made up the bonnet side supports I wasn't sure how I was going to finish the front part of the support and how I was going to bolt it to the grille shell.At the same time I wasn't happy to leave the front end of the bonnet side where it folds around , it was going to be one of those places that was going to crack later with general fatigue and removing the sides for maintainence etc so I folded a small piece to cap the end off.This then meant I had to modify the support , so I cranked the end down and welded in a small retun piece which allows me to bolt it to the grille shell.The return flange on the grille shell has a piece of plate welded in and drilled and tapped .The other little job was to make the inner stiffeners for the O/S bonnet side and the brackets for the buffers to locate into .

Not a good pic but it shows the crank on the end of the bonnet support .

Inner stiffener pieces and the buffer brackets .

Open end of the bonnet side which is now capped off.

I have also FINALLY !!!!! finished off the slam panel and welded it back into the grille shell( there are a couple of pieces to make and weld in under the slam panel but can't do them untill the grille shell is removed .

It was now time to get to grips with the front fenders , I hadn't fitted the rivnuts to the running board mounts so had to finish off those so the front fenders could be bolted down properly .

As I have said before the front fenders are not from a 37 truck but from a sedan (so I'm told ) so they only fit where they touch , I'm left with a gap at the rear of the fender running back towards the door and the same at the very front where it meets the grille shell .I had already set the fenders up along time ago when I measured up for the wheel and tyre combo but to do all the mods to the fenders I made up a quick support to keep the fenders at the correct height.

Pics showing the gaps that need sorting !!!!

With the fenders bolted back on and checked to make sure they were matching perfectly I bolted on an extra brace , this allows me to take the fenders on and off and get them back in exactly the same place each time while I make up the infill pieces.

The most straight forward option to fill the gap in at the front of the fender would have been to cut the fender along the edge of the bolting flange and band it to meet the grille shell.But after a bit of head scratching I decided on a slighty different approach .I wiil make a piece that is welded to the grille shell and the fender is bolted to this .My main reason for doing this is that the grille shell has no inner frame to stop the outer skin distorting when the bolts are tightened for the last time when you have spent all that time and effort filling, painting and polishing to see ripples in the panel that were not there before !!!!!.
    I hope to get this piece made up ( at least ) over the weekend , it doesn't really show in the pics but the flange curves both ways so it will be a tricky piece to make .If it all goes horribly wrong I will be banding the fenders !!!!!!!!!.

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be interesting to see how the gap solution works at the front.
    Just wondering how you are going to spot the rusting under those nice dimpled corner braces? I would have thought some copper or zinc weld through primer on first before welding them in and then seam seal after priming.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    your skills are just on a whole other level
    ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE JUICE IS WORTH THE SQUEEZE
    my Street Rod build
    https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...ct-build-63682

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking forward to seeing how you do this.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    One big awesomeness.....

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fibreglass and bit of filler mark ? He,he..thought you'd have finished this by now dude? Looking good mate
    Just a back yard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information