Forgot your username?

Likes Likes: †23
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

39 Pontiac Convertible

Yep......Iím at it again.
    This time I bought a nice car so no need for a massive strip down and rebuild.....yet!
    It is actually a nice car and Iíve already dumped the original master cylinder and put a dual circuit jobby thing on with servo. Incidentally, if youíre planning a brake upgrade but are struggling with what pedal to use then look at an MR2 one as itís really easy to fit.
    Back to the car (Pontiac Silver Streak). As nice as it is to drive, itís a slow on acceleration and the crash gearbox is a *******. I could replace the box with a 5 speed and the carbs with a twin set-up and I may do this in the future, but finding the bits I want would take a long time and there is no guarantee the old flat 6 would perform better. So Iím going to swap both motor and box.......and it wonít be SBC or LS1 or RV8 (all a bit boring and overdone for me). And I donít need 300hp
    The steering is fantastic in this old motor.......once Iím over 5mph itís really light so Iíll leave that alone. It has independent suspension up front so apart from lowering maybe Iíll leave that alone too. Will probably lose the lever arm shocks on the rear and fit new telescopic ones, but will wait to see how she drives before I make that decision.
    The only other upgrade will be a complete re-wire as the old cloth covered wires are brittle and itís not worth the risk keeping them.

Hereís a few pics of the old girl

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now for the build

First job was to treat myself to a 2 post lift. It’s a mid rise lift as I didn’t have enough height for a full height and I can work under the car whilst sitting on a stool so it’s good enough for me and stops me feckin my back up climbing under the car on a cold concrete floor

The father in law cam round yesterday and we took the from end panels off in about 3 hours. He enjoys helping me out in the garage and ever since he lost his wife he keeps his overalls in his car in case I need him while he’s visiting. I try to find as many things as I can for him to keep him occupied.......he’s a dab hand at sharpening drill bits

And this is my engine of choice. A Daimler 250 Hemi and BW35 auto box. Not everyone’s cup of tea but they are small so I won’t have to cut any bodywork to make it fit and I think they look cool

I did toy with the idea of a custom manifold so I could fit cooler looking carbs but the SU’s are a good reliable set up so I’ll leave them there.......

4. Likesdrseg, MYTHING, 296moon, steve1275 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cooool ride......................

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting build, we will watch it progress.
    Which MR2 model did the brake pedal come from?
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxirod View Post
    Interesting build, we will watch it progress.
    Which MR2 model did the brake pedal come from?
    I think it was a MK2. They are on eBay for not a lot of money

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely motor!

I like how other cars can be robbed for useful bits. The MR2 also has a really short and compact clutch master cylinder. Which is odd, seeing it had no reason to be so short.
    '62 Ford Thunderbird
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS Turbo
    '81 Datsun Bluebird SSS

10. Likescymrodder liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the old engine and box out and stored them just in case I ever want to put it back to original or whatever. Also got the new lump in place so I can see what to do about mounts. I may move the engine back as yet.....will have a proper look tomorrow.
    I could do with lowering the back down a fraction but the gearbox sump will hit a cross member. One idea I’ve had is to take the sump off and see if I can reduce the depth of it. Won’t know until I take it off. Doesn’t need to be reduced all over, just the back half. I really don’t want to cut out any chassis stuff. I’d like to do the same to the engine sump maybe....will see when I decide where everything will finally sit

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    loving this so far

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    what a lovely old thing & cracking choice of engine /trans combo , the story of you're fatherinlaw warms my heart , my dad was a motor trader all his life & loved to tinker he came out & visited me a few times later in his life & I always had something for him to work on , we took the body off the chassis of my old 41 Willys when I first got it & left him tinkering on my old 58 stude truck whilst I was out & about , fond memories , good luck with the project you picked a good one everyone has a chevy or ford .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information