Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie smiffys_chop_shop's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

46 Ford truck build

Been meaning to start a build thread for my 46 Ford truck project since I got it..............last year, It came from Ray in Cali and he's a spot on guy. I have since got it UK registered and been bashing away at it as and when and with the help of me dad............it is in his garage after all!
    Nearly done with the bulk of the fabrication and welding and nearly ready to dis-assemble it to paint the chassis and running gear but leaving the exterior as it came apart from some areas that needed work............commonly known as 'faux patina' some may frown but wanted to keep the 'good' original patina'd areas.
    So, Basically it's going to be a 46 ford truck, ratty/patina'd or whatever you want to call it with jag front and rear and a 318 v8 mopar motor with 727 auto box, chrome smoothie wheels.......I want to put it on whitewalls but they're bloody expensive and I'm on a tight budget so see what happens.
    Will try and keep the thread updated from now on for anybody who is interested, Cheers!!

When I got it last year August 8th

Yanks seem to love 'Bondo'....think stevie wonder did this one, cab came up nice after rubbing it with scotchbrite and wd40

The 318 motor and box I acquired, wanted a sbc but at the time couldn't find one

Straightening out the sheet metal, got lucky finding hood trim and spears etc on ebay.com! Got a whole front grill with bars on there too and got it cheaper than buying just bars.......result!

Also got lucky with finding an original pair of steel wings from a fellow rods n sods member

First time it saw daylight outside of the garage

Jag clip in and motor mounted

Rolled it outside to sweep out the garage and tidy up, wasn't happy with how the back end sat

So 'c' notched the frame, generally a method used when airbagging I know (wanted to bag it originally but couldn't afford to). But sits more how I want it now, have since added extra bracing and fabricated and fitted both anti climb bars and tie rods

Wanted to fit the master cylinder/booster under the floor out of the way and so I could adapt the original pedal assembly so had to fabricate necessary bracketry

More to come...................................
    Last edited by smiffys_chop_shop; 30-08-2013 at 21:55.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good there bud. Keep at it, as my build seems to be one step forward and two back. Just keep getting ****ed about by people who keep disappointing me with there service. We'll have to have a meet up when our trucks are on the road.
    1932 Ford Model A Coupe
    1940 Ford Coupe

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers mate. Yeah we should do! The biggest problem for me is time really and the budget I suppose but feel like we getting somewhere now. Do you mean disappointing service as in parts ordering? I find many people just don't get back to you......must not need the business!?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Enthusiastic Amateur
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, keep the updates coming!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smiffys_chop_shop View Post
    Cheers mate. Yeah we should do! The biggest problem for me is time really and the budget I suppose but feel like we getting somewhere now. Do you mean disappointing service as in parts ordering? I find many people just don't get back to you......must not need the business!?
    When i sorted out my axle they had it ages and when they said it was ready i collected it. went to fit the shafts to find they'd ordered the wrong shafts. They're an hr away so that's a morning wasted. Now I've just got my prop back and they've made it too long. Gave them the correct measurements as requested and they still messed up. All I got on the phone was "oh I'm sorry, if you get it back to us we'll sort it". How does **** right off and send a courier. I know I'm not spending a huge amount (axle £1000,prop £350) in there eyes but business is business and I won't be going back after this.
    oh yeah, my budget went out the window ages ago. Haha
    1932 Ford Model A Coupe
    1940 Ford Coupe

daz
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    that looks like a real nice truck, can I have it.lol

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah sure dude no worries haha.
    Rp460, was that hauser who did your axle? If it helps I know that Parkinson's (vicarage farm road is it? near boc and the coachworks place) are setup for doing props now!?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The very same. Won't use them again for anything. Only went to them as didn't know any better. Handy to know about Parkinson's. not that I plan on doing it again soon.
    1932 Ford Model A Coupe
    1940 Ford Coupe

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the steering done today was very happy, was gonna put some pictures up but photo buckets being gay and getting right on my tits so yes I now have a cob on.....where's the rants section haha. Cheers
    Last edited by smiffys_chop_shop; 07-09-2013 at 20:50.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so photobuckets still [email protected]&ked up but think I've managed to get around it! So, got the steering joints and column mounted and all hooked up so it now steers when you turn the wheel......always a bonus!

After me dad cut the original column from the steering box in a rage I told him I wanted to use the original column/wheel/column drop etc... he thought I was gonna use a tilt column.......wrong! So there was a bit of work, some cutting, some welding and fabrication required but got where I wanted to go in the end.

So heres how she'll look from outside, love the patina on top of that door you can see where its had a lifetime being driven with somebodies arm resting on it.........will be mine in the not too distant future though!!!

Last edited by smiffys_chop_shop; 17-10-2013 at 20:28.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information