Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

48 chevy pickup marries a mazda b2200

Here we go again, I want an everyday hack thats abit interesting, economical and useful. I've fancied an early chevy 1st series for ages, but can't justify spending circa 10 grand on something to drive everyday and scratch, dent and abuse.
    So, to cut a long story short, I bought a cab, front wings, grill and bonnet off "352kum" on here about 6 months ago, and after the experiences with my mates F100 onto a range rover, (thread on here somewhere) have set about doing a similar thing, ie, put the body onto a later model chassisied motor, as such, exempting it from biva etc, also needed it to be diesel and quite rugged, don't fancy 4X4 so started looking for something suitable as a doner. after much searching, trying to keep build costs to an absolute minimum and having set myself a personal goal of trying to obtain an end result for a little money as possible, also to prove that it can be done on a budget, have come up with this...............

So this.........

is going to be mated to this..........

I was really lucky with the Mazda, its a 2.2 diesel, drives superb, only 2 owners, body a bit tatty, but mechanically sound,
    obviously, it won't be a gleamer, but thats not what I am after
    Last edited by streetfighter; 31-08-2016 at 15:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Lee
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    More than possible. Excellent idea.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at what you have already and meeting you the other week you strike me a Shroud character and if its at all possible you would be the man to do it good look pal keep posting updates and pictures

Mike
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pickup the pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the body off the mazda, I have kept the bulkhead and floor section of the cab because I want to try and make life easier and utilise some of it into the chevy cab, it will make life a little easier for mounting seatbelts, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder seat etc. Although the wheelbase is a very close match, the chevy sits alot further back on the chassis than the mazda cab. My chevy cab has no floor or bulkhead in it. So rather than fabricate all of it, if I can use some sections of the mazda floor and bulkhead it will save time and expense. Talking of expense, I weighed the pickup bed and some other bits of the mazda in for £100, so thats a bit more into the kitty.
    So, This is where I am at now.

I have left the brake servo connected and some other ancillaries to make it easier to mock up when the shell goes on.

Last edited by streetfighter; 13-10-2011 at 20:15.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously considered a similar thing not that long ago but for once decided to take the easy route and buy something (relatively) normal. 'Don't mean to hijack your thread but this was the inspiration for me...

This was based on a First Generation (1980s) Ford Ranger, which shared some DNA with the Mazda trucks - don't see why yours shouldn't look this good - or better, as yours is steel and this is 'glass, maybe a little less shiny...
    Best of luck - I shall watch with interest.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good plan...but I would say that wouldn't I ?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this makes good sense I hope you are able to meet your sub £2000 target, at least there should be no cost involved in getting it registered.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right then, after stripping the panels down and removing the doors, I could eventually manage to move the cab shell around on my own, ended up having to lie it on its side, push the mazda out alongside it and with the help from wilksey, we rolled the cab onto the mazda frame somewhere near where it had to be, pushed the mazda back into the garage and set about building it back up, Its a bit frustrating really, as the cabs final resting place depends on the front panels being reassembled and bolted to the cab, This is all because everything depends on centring the front wheels in the wheelarches of the wings, so working from the front backwards, I've put the front wings, grill and rad support panel together, surprisingly, to get the front wheels in the right place meant the body being shoved back quite abit more than I expected, so much so that the rad support panel had to be cut and shortened in height due to sitting above the front crossmember of the mazda. even the bottom of the grill was hitting the cross member, so a bit of adjusting here and there has things just about clearing, I wanted as low a ride height as possible for everyday use, which to be honest caused some of the grief, if I lifted it up a few more inches it would have been a much easier fit and build. But here is where everything is at the moment.
    023.jpg

001.jpg
    Last edited by streetfighter; 23-10-2011 at 19:16.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Due to the height issue, the easiest way of mounting the cab is going to be by mounting 2 parallel lengths of box section on the original mazda rubber chassis to body mounts and then mount the floor and cab onto these, so when its all done 4 bolts will release the whole cab from the original mounts, it would be alot easier to weld new mounts off the chassis but because I am using the 8 point system for registering, I daren't mess with the chassis at all, another ****er, is the first two pickup body mounts have ended up just inside the back panel of the cab. again would have been nice to cut them off and move them back 4 inches, but they will have to stay for now. so this is a rough mockup of the mounts.

SDC11256.jpg

SDC11259.jpg

SDC11258.jpg

Official RnS Addict ifan.miller's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    tony once again you have my attention, this looks like a very interesting project. keep the pics and updates coming
    Last edited by ifan.miller; 23-10-2011 at 19:18.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information