Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another great project Tony, you are **** hot at these body swaps far play to you
    the difficult takes time, the impossible takes a little longer

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I look at it like this, Its going to be the only way to have what you want without all sorts of red tape, it also makes body shells and basket cases a real viable proposition instead of spending thousands on complete projects or on the road vehicles.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, i bought the front end of your truck several years ago. It came from a film prop company. It had been used as a stage prop in the musical 'car man'. I seem to remember google-ing it and finding some screen shots of it on stage.
    Anyway, good luck !

Paul

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that, I will have a mooch around on tinterweb, Mark did tell me something like that when I bought it from him. its progressing rather rapidly now, will try and get time for update over the weekend.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this idea (old body on a later model chassis) and I suspect we'll be seeing a whole bunch more of them in the future. Another project I'll be following. I suppose pickups are most suitable body styles as you've got more scope for modifying the bed/ wheelarches to suit the wheelbase of the donor chassis.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its more a case of they are more or less the only modern vehicles still made with a chassis, these and 4x4 models.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Firstly, Change of plans regarding mounting the cab, the more I looked at it, the more I did not like the two channel sections, too agricultural. So, I decided to tackle it from a different direction, I had always planned on using as much of the left over Mazda floor and bulkhead as possibe, A. to save time and money over fabbing a fresh floor and bulkhead, B. it makes it much easier as regards mounting brake servo, clutch cylinder, pedal box, steering column, seat and seatbelt mounts etc etc etc.....
    So I measured the inner cab floor, alot narrower than the Mazda, and cut as big a section as I could get into the cab, for two days solid, I was measuring and trial fitting stuff, because every time I mock it up I have to chuck the seat, steering column and pedal box in to make sure I can get in it and its actually drivable. Eventually, I realised that the floor had to go back onto the chassis in the same place that it came off, but the floorpan needed to be shortened by around 4 inches, but this made the pedal box ans steering wheel etc too close to the seat, so The only solution was to "set" the bulkhead forward by the same amount, ie, the bulhead sits further forward than the chevy one. I am reaaly sorry, but I keep forgetting to take pics when I'm doing it, so firstly, the floorpan needed lifting about 3-4 inches, so I knocked up a set of body mount risers.

so, these were bolted onto the original chassis mountings, then the original mazda rubber body mounts were bolted onto top of them ready for the floor to attach to. now this is where I forgot about taking pics as I went, to be honest I got totally engrossed in what I was doing and just kept ploughing on with it, so, the floor was bolted down on the mounts, next step was to fix it to the cab, so I trimmed back the edges of can and floor and welded them together, the next day, I cut the Mazda bulkhead down and after hours and hours of trial fitting and the afore mentioned refitting the seat pedal box, steering column etc, I actually got sick of chucking it in and out. But, these things are sent to try us, and try us they do.
    So, EVENTUALLY, this is what we got to, floor in, bulkhead loosely tacked in, floor sectioned and shortened so that everything could be fitted up and tried for size, after more adjustments than I care to mention, I eventually got it so I could fit in it (comfortably) and drive it, ie, reach everything.

I ought to point out here, fitting the bulkhead on my own was one hell of a job, I would get it millimeters away from where I wanted it, then it would fall off the various props and jacks I was using. But, not that I am billy no mates or anything, I just prefer to work on my own and usually get much more done.

note, its only provisionally held in place in the last pic, it will be seam welded all the way round, front and back, well actually I have finished the drivers side now and the top. So now to address the hole in the footwell, trimmed down the original left over section, and tack welded that in.

Then seamed all the way round. funny story, fitted a new gas supply solenoid on the welder 3 weeks ago. Half way round welding that piece of floor in, the welder started spattering and struggling to weld, so I gets out from being wedged inside the cab, and started checking what was wrong, realised there was no gas coming through, now, when the new, genuine solenoid arrived, it was fault and I had to use the new relay and my old brass fitting to make it work, so I was already disgusted with the new part, So I starts throwning stuff around and cussing and swearing aloud (to myself) that new parts are bloody **** nowadays, three weeks old and the relay is knackered now aswell. Then I rolls my eyes, and as I looked up, noticed the gas bottle gauges aren't reading anything, Doh!, out of gas.
    So anyway, welded floor in and put everything back in again.

I have since started refitting the wiring loom and believe it or not, the mazda clockset very nearly fits into the empty glovebox hole, so thats the next job, then get it running, drive it out, turn it round and set about the floor and bulkhead on the other side. Got the bit between my teeth now, next update in a few days.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now running, connected the brakes, clutch, steering and clockset, drove it forwards and backwards last night, feeling quite chuffed with myself.
    Last edited by streetfighter; 24-11-2011 at 23:37.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now running, connected the brakes, clutch, steering and clockset, drove it forwards and backwards last night, feeling quite chuffed with myself. bearing in mind I've only been on it on and off for just under 2 months. can't seem to delete the previous post..........anyway, now decided that a roofchop is on the cards, and maybe suicide doors.............
    Last edited by streetfighter; 24-11-2011 at 23:39.

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information