Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Official RnS Addict UK RUSS 1960 OLDS's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Hi Tony,

Look's like somebody had much the same idea as you with this one i saw at Brooklands earlier on this year.

Cheers.

Russ.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

MarkT
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your doing a great job with this though dont chop it i sold my 51 Chevy pickup about 18 months ago and personally think there a good looking truck as is , though the suicide doors sound good ........just my personal opionion on the chop ......keep the pics etc coming
    Quote Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
    .........anyway, now decided that a roofchop is on the cards, and maybe suicide doors.............
    MarkT

Official RnS Addict streetfighter's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, I have given it a lot of consideration, and I think they look much better with a 4 inch chop, but any more than that I think is too much and spoils them. I've done loads and loads of research looking at pics on the web. I am definitely going to pull the roof down a bit, I also fancy making opening front window frames as per split screen campers, although I might not have the patience for actually doing it. The suicide doors is going to take quite a bit of fabrication and working out. I will make a definite decision about them when the chop is done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.... I was planning on getting some sets of frames made for doing Safari windows on these trucks. It proved to be too expensive. A one off set would be cool though.
    Hidden hinge kit or spin the doors side for side(cut the tops off obviously) would sort the suicides.
    I wouldn't chop it either.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am now officially fed up of welding, I've been slowly working my round the floor and bulkhead, and mating them to the chevy cab, after two weekd solid welding I am now nearing the end, sill to floor is now done all round and so is the whole of the bulkhead and footwells. Two whole days saw the fabrication and fitting of the biggest gap filler, the rear of the mazda cab floor to the chevy back panel, I started with a box section frame from one to the other, then sheeted it all in.

I've now decided to mount the battery on the flat panel, I now have to fab up some seatbelt mounts to put the mazda belts back in, hopefully that will be done by Tuesday or so, Then I can get started on the roof chop. Sorry guys, I personally think they look fantastic with 4 inches out of them. I will take some better pics of what I have done so far later in the week.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Done quite a bit this last week, tidy'd up the sheetwork, made seatbelt mounts, rewired electrics so that the battery can be put behind the seat.
    also repaired the replacement grill bar that replaces the missing one.

Great news is that I have got hold of an original rear body from a guy from the local meets, one bulkhead panel, two sides, two rear wings/arches, a front bumper and infill panel and a rear tailgate, all for the bargain price of £150, spent as few hours mocking it up to see whether my measurements and guess work was correct, and low and behold the back wheels sit nicely in the middle of the arches, another worry over.

cut the roof off just before I came home tonight, (christmas eve) I couldn't decide on 3 or 4 inch roof chop, so I cut 4 inches out of the passenger door top frame, placed it back together and decided it was too much, so I have cut the other door and the roof pillars at 3 inches.

I welded a pair of braces between the dash and back panel to prevent any splaying of the cab when the roof is off.

Will make a start welding it back together on boxing day, going to make the most of a few days holiday, mrs is working, so I would only get bored out of my head sitting at home watching crap and eating even more crap. Merry Christmas everyone.
    Last edited by streetfighter; 24-12-2011 at 23:38.

complete knob..apperantly pompeypaul's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    thats looking good

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    first thing I did today was cut the roof in half, because it will need a filler strip adding to the length, placed the rear section in place and propped it up, tacked it at the door pillars each side,

Then slowly working around the left corner first, tacked it every inch or so, had to cut some lines in the corners to enable me to spread the top and close the lower corners.

carried on tacking and tacking until most of the seams are welded, then welded the cuts up and linished them down

then added more weld to the low spots.

Tomorrow I will linish it all down until as smooth as possible to minimise the amount of filler needed, then on to the right hand corner, then the front section and the filler strip.................

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent work there, i'm liking that.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pos comments, back at it again today, firstly welded two stips of 90 degree angle to the underside of the rear roof section, this is to share the weight and hold stable the front half of the roof, bearing in mind, i am working alone again.........

Next up, linish the two upper and lower edges so that as near a perfect fit as possible, place front half on to pillars and make shift helpers on the roof.

a big notice able problem is the front pillars don't line up, the top two are closer together than the bottom two, luckily I had rear about this on an American site, they recommended a saw blade cut up the middle of the front edge of the roof for about 4 inches, So air hacksaw at the ready, made the cut, and its amazing, the pillars fit perfectly with only a light pull with one hand, bit tricky holding them and tacking them at the same time, but managed to do it without any movement. if you look at the drivers side pillar you can see the difference before the cut.

This is the slim cut made in the centre.........

Tacked up, and them slowly welded all round and linished flush.......

Just the filler strip and top edges to do, then the door tops and we will be all done...........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information