Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  8
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's coming along now, i like it when i can start to bolt bits back on for mockup.
    a point about pics as i've found myself is when you're working on your own sometimes you miss something that becomes clear (to others if not yourself) when you look at a photo. often having a helpful comment can save you some time later on.
    regards, neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well no one has said its crap yet !!!! Will be attempting to dummy up rear axle for width tomorrow as well , run out of welding gas but get paid Tues so will get a refill . Steering rack mounting will have to be modified but that will have to wait till front suspension is made .

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i hope you didn't think i was having a dig, i was just explaining why i'd mentioned pics would be nice a couple of times before. when you commented about people liking pics i thought i'd explain myself.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry it was just my poor sense of humour , I appreciate any feed back as this is my first major build of a full hot rod /street rod (what ever you call it) . Working on my own it makes it twice as hard getting stuff lined up like the diff , working out chassis ride height and things. I like to see photos of other builds,TBH its made me raise my game looking at the quality shown on these pages.
    One thing I forgot to say was the fact the Austin chassis is not even, the rails differ in shape/section left and right so when adding in crossmembers like rear diff mount the spirit level says fine but theres a good few mm difference where it goes on rails like 4mm . Found gusset on n/s and non on o/s inside rail, tea break special or a Friday one (Austin joke) so have had to triple check it all. Recon its better than stock for alignment now and a lot stiffer.

7. Likesmygasser liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Busy on today,engine and box fitted , prop lined up with centre bearing mounted. Front section of prop just cut and tack welded to see how it fits, will get front remade eventually. Chassis at clearing speed bump setting , should lay frame parked up. started to mock up rear De Dion axle . Need to make spacers as its 80mm for axle tube and 90 mm in hub, found a scrap starter motor thats 90mm OD . will strip it tomorrow and check ID . Wish I had a lathe, next is to make a jig to set rear hubs in correct width and alignment then weld it up. Lots to do and I dont have tubing for 4 bar . Talking cost so far it owes me £50 for donor Omega, tenner for steel, tenner for rear wheels and £30 for the Astra Watts linkage

9. LikesTaxirod liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun and games over for a bit, apparently work have tried (not hard enough in my opinion) to get in touch since last Turs to get me to go back last Sat . My mobile is emergency only as gone past my 2GB limit so not working , strange thought it would take incoming? Any way have to start working again from tomorrow so back to 2 days a week on the rod. Made a jig to hold rear hubs , bolts to inside of drive flange . All shows true so when I fit wheels back on measure between rims will tell me if it worked. Had to cut the axle tube to get correct angle and width, so much cutting that ran out off battery power for cordless angle grinder. The naff corded one I have is giving me grief, cant undo the nut holding disc. Axle tube fits , will have to wait till Sunday to tack it together . BTW the starter motor case was spot on to make spacer ring. Cab section sat back on , worked out ride and rake .

11. Likeslegendlives liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well dear hearts it was going so well and than ran out of MIG gas (knew it would ) but at least axle set up okay. Used a measuring stick to see if track and camber were all parallel, yes it was a stick!! piece of very hard inch square wood and placing it between inner flange on rim its now the same all round.
    Fun getting it right though as set it up and welds kept pulling it a couple of mm out, got it by sticking a screw driver in the cut and careful tacking.
    Watts linkage was a head scratch , cut slot in beam and welded in a off cut piece of 2x2 box with the tube section welded into it . Plug welds at bottom as well. Started to cut sill sections/body mounts and tried on rear arches , loads of fabrication with new rear floor and inner sill to make. Last pic shows ride height under front edge of sill, front valance will be lower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information