Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    so busy with work ,anyway made frame on castors so can move it around .down side is its now pushed in a corner ,upside got a new lance for the welder and a compressor so today managed to do a bit on inner wing to clear abs unit ,just hope it clears on full lock.cant tell yet as no suspension made.did measure it though its not a guess more of a guesstamate.well my eldest is getting hiched in 18 months time and would like to arrive in the countryman ,no pressure then and still have a beetle to build over the winter to sell so I can afford all the suspension bits ect.anyone after a 90s build bugjam beetle ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict Flamed Cortina's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Have you managed to shift the bug? I hope so I need to see some progress on this kool ride.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    limbo-----still messing with the dragbike when we have finished racing this season the daughters drag beetle is next to do,remove the shell for paint ect and a few mods

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    well life and **** gets in the way, drag bike never got sorted due to apathy from my lad and the fact he passed his bike test and got an R1. Daughters beetle done for Volks world show 2017 but she only ran it twice as little one taking up time, hope fully put it back on the road. Started to do my VW panel van last year and still welding!!!! Bloody Halfords job means only get Sundays and a random day every 2 weeks so not had enough time . Not stopped working out how to do stuff on country man though and will be back on it as soon as bus is done, put race car up for sale to fund country man as have no time or money to take to Pod. Need to get it done as only 2 years and 10 months till I retire and then wont be able to pay for lock up.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have been working out bits, need Watts linkage off an 2009 to 2014? Astra and also if I can get 34mm pipe and have it bent to make the de dion tube. will use an old bit of work top as a jig (built 2 motor bikes on it already!!) The 2 rear arms of the Omega have been cut off the hubs so it left with a hole . The original trailing arm was welded in to this so swop them side for side and the hole for the tube faces backwards. Just need tube to make it up , need to work out angle for bend and width before seeing if any one can bend it (think it was 34 mm but have to check as that's from memory) .

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have the race car up for sale, don't look like I will drive it again but have had my fun with it. No takers yet but need it gone to fund the countryman. Looks like I will have to make rims for front as Vauxhall stud pattern is only Vauxhall/Saab/ Opal so centre welded into VW beetle rim me thinks?? for a narrow front.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had you thought about space saver spare wheels? Even if you needed to reverse the rim to get the offset you need.
    Neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    all the space savers I have seen have silly off sets, need to stick to 15s as want to use ABS/ traction control and it works the speedo. was looking at 16s with low profiles for rear, steels with trim rings under the fender skirts. Still think 15ins vw rims with the Omega centres will work on front with maybe Smart tyres?probly too low or wider . Originals 195-65-15s . Might go wider that trad hot rod on front as want it to go round bends,205s on rear will just fit in stock wells as cant go any wider without widening skirts or narrowing chassis (don't want to do that as want to keep chassis "stock") mind you 205s will be fine with 210 hp and decent 4bar geometry and Dedion axle.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

The Country man 51 Austin street rod

Might call it a Country woman !!! well we are both getting a lot of changes!!!!! Right serious bit, still working on the VW panel and getting bogged down in filler-------- So started to collect bits for the build, Astra J Watt's style linkage (at £39 cheaper than the new rose joints) and just got 2 front doors . Now I did a daft thing and photo copied a side on pic twice then cut it so that when overlaid it made the door longer (aprox 6ins) and it now looks in proportions , the doors always looked to short to me. Also helps with seating position as was sat behind B post. So now have to lengthen the chassis 6ins and move B post and body back the same amount , staggered cut to floor pan . Decided to "tub" rear, well that's fit wider rear wheels that means chassis narrowing . Unless I go after market the only 17ins wide rims look like Saab 95 ones, 235 40s .
    Front suspension, measured the Omega hubs (found Renault Clio bottom joint fits) and comparing it to the MGB ones previously used the spindle is 1 1/4 ins lower so it looks like bent bottom arms to compensate. Top joint will be a bolt on to A arm going into pinch bolt blind hole in a block welded to a bracket that bolts to top of hub (these are strut hubs) luckily that part of hub is low enough. Found air bag coilovers the right size (bloody expensive) and top A arms will be adjustable of course. One thing I found is hub wheel flange is an inch further in making track narrower , maybe longer A arms .
    Rear is De-Dion suspension, found an axle that will fit (say axle its the tube between hubs) from a Smart of all things. Best bit is where I have my lock up the lad that owns it has just bought a engine/box to put in one and it came with subframe/axle so have one for nowt!!!Recon 6months till I start on it at least, cant wait.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information