Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by woz View Post
    Plenty of rot there to be tackled but im sure with a methodicle approach it'll be just fine, i will look forward to your updates good work so far
    oh you haven't seen ALL of it yet
    I have a plan of how im going to go about it once the time arrives.... and don't worry I shall keep the thread updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Special When Lit View Post

Not been updated for a while, lost my mojo with it a bit!
    https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/gar...l-capri-167073
    I know that loss of mojo feeling, that was the main reason I had this 59 up for sale....but I took a break from it and my 68 bay window camper and im glad I did as I am now raring to go once the camper is done...

And im gob smacked at how similar the rot is on both of our cars.....

keep plodding away though, it IS worth it in the end and good luck with it ( and as you will find out in this thread,no matter what I always keep plodding away)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict Special When Lit's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can't be an example, be a warning.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just want to gently move this on a little bit.....

I'd like to point out at this point, although i DO have 3 of the 5 trunk floor panels, i am not any where near ready to start any proper cutting out,fabbing or welding. I am awaiting tools, parts and other odds and sods to arrive and as we all know these cost money....

So, with that ^^^ in mind, i moved into the car the other day.... again all work doen keeping in mind, that i need to be able to move the car about until i finish my 68 bay window and the 59 then replaces it inside at the far end of my garage.....

So with the back seat removed and safely stashed away out of the car and along with some side trim panels and metal edging strips i faced this.........

right hand side under the rear seat......

more fibre glass..... so time to get it out and see what lives underneath.....

if you look in the corner ^^^^ you can just see a nut ot top of a big washer..... this believe it or not is how someone has secured the rear end of the exhaust (side exit in front of rear wheels) you can see in the pic belwo the metal strip with the holes in it is the bracket that the nut held in place and then the exhaust under it...... both sides are the same and i think this could be the reason why i felt vibration through the floor when the car was running or revved up.....

so onto the the left hand side under the rear seat.......

and yup, that is rain water in there.... i will leave the cause for that for another day...and of course more fibre glass

i then spotted this panel, it looks like it is a "real" panel and not home made, so i need to research this one....what confuses me at the moment is, this panel was screwed in

and then the complete area under the back seat given a good brush and tidy up......

The right hand side is the worst as you can see from the pics,but, at least the bulk of the under seat area is solid, so i am happy with that......

Thats me for today so until next time, keep smilin

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That screw-on panel is for the carpet to sit on top of (at least thats what they were for in my old 60 Impala).

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    That screw-on panel is for the carpet to sit on top of (at least thats what they were for in my old 60 Impala).
    ah, good call thanks for that.... saves me going crazy trying to suss out what it was for

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by English Impala View Post
    just been told on a 59 forum it is........... The extra piece along the side that was screwed on is the factory wiring channel cover. Protects the rear wiring harness from possibly getting pinched by the rear seat cushion frame......

Compulsive chicken choker English Impala's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense, mine was a 4 door and the rear carpet was glued on top of it

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been waiting on bits n bobs arriving so in the meantime i made myself a bending machine using the diagrams and info from this thread 1962 Vauxhall Victor FB - Making Panels | Retro Rides The chap involved
    Tonybmw is excellent..... gives a great narrative and explains everything,step by step......it is WELL worth a read and you taking the time to go though his thread..... I did and it is because of his thread i have the confidence to give the self making panel thing a go...

My bender all finished......

As you can see it is nice and mobile so in this instance i can actually have it in the car where i am making my first panel...

Onto the panel itself...my first "proper" home made panel and not just a bit of metal to chuck in as a patch....

This is the area i am doing first.....

First i did a rough sketch taking measurements from the area itself...in this case, the left under rear seat area.....

Then transferred it to white card

Then cut it out.....

One of my deliveries was a few sheets of zintec mild steel sheeting ( the stuff tonybmw uses uses in the thread i linked up there ^^^ Zintec metal sheeting has a zinc coating on it helping prevent corrosion for those that have never heard of it)

So i transferred onto the metal using my card template

And then cut the metal to shape.....

And then started bending it to shape

And then it was a case of trial fit remove,trim and repeat until i had this.....

Still not finished as i have 2 more parts of this panel to make before it is ready for welding altogether and final finishing and then welding into the car......

More next time

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Panel 1 Phase 2

Managed to get a few hours yesterday and today on making the next stage of this under seat panel......

Started off in the usual way, measurements with rough sketch then transferred to card and then the metal itself ( i wont bore you with pics of the templates as i am sure you will get the idea from my first panel stage)

Then i did the first 90 degree bend.... notice i did the one furthest away from the edge...i had to do this one first as i wouldnt have been able to fit it in my bending machine if id done the outer one first.....

So, the next bit was fun..... sort of !!!

How to get the nice curve.....I had a route around my garage and found this.....

It is a toughened piece of plastic tubing used for under ground cables...... surely i couldnt be that lucky and it would work !! ?

yes i guess i can....

Clamped it at both ends and over we go.....

A shot of how it looked underneath

Spent a bit of time fettling the panel to hopefully get it all looking correct.....

Then had a trial fit to see how it looks in situ'

then with Phase 1 of the panel...both roughly sat in place

That took me approx 5 or 6 hours to get the 2nd panel to this stage....... ive still got some more shaping to do on it and then i can start Phase 3 of this panel.......
    Last edited by timetolook; 05-07-2016 at 11:20.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    iv got a consul capri that was very rotton, its took a fair while but the body is all welded up and repaired, as with your car ours was patch upon patch, it takes time but keep up the good work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information