Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Another caravan....

I got this lovely 1974 17/2 in for restoration it has been loved and looked after very well over the years there is little sign of the usual caravan botch jobs

The owner has asked me to sort out the damp issues in the front and back so both ends will be coming off along with every other piece of trim the door needs to be taken apart and rebuilt and while this is happening it will quite probably be repainted

#

Caravans are cool

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    decided to spend a bit of time taking apart the front

Caravans are cool

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The half round trims at the front popped off without much fuss as the wood on both corners was complete mush
    Usually when a trim has a plastic infill strip the screws will come out the conventional way so the window was no problem along with the joining piece between the stone-guard panel and the under window panel

The top screws stand proud of the trim but have beem painted so these had slots cut in them and out they came

After the trims are off There are panel pins dotted around for assembly in the factory you need to find all of these and remove them so the old sealant needs to get cleaned off the window on James safari has been out before and sealed in with builders roofing sealant

there are also a few pins hiding between the joints that you need to take your time to find without bending the skin up as too much bending will deform the panels

The top panel is off

Fortunately the damp is confined to the lip where the sun visor sits abouve there is nice solid blond wood
    Caravans are cool

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have replaced the lip that carries the sun visor and the peice behind it that goes abouve the celing board toward the curtain rail screen I managed to get that out and leave the celing board in place so just slotted a new piece in there the very end of the off side bottom window frame was gone so spliced another peice of timber in there as well as the corner bit
    the corner of the floor on the offside was gone so that has been replaced I peeled back the floor covering and then used contact adhesive to stick it back down
    both sides the window frame nearest the front window have been replaced as well as the timber at the side of the floor that the bottom of the side aluminium skin screws in to at the bottom

So them theres solid ground to work from the front is basicly four sections that screw together the bottom pannel that the stoneguard covers the curved pannel under the window the window frame itself and the interior shelf

The vaneer off the shelf I have peeled off and will be re using on the new shelf

In these photos I have mocked it all up apart from the middle section to make sure it will all fit together properly

Caravans are cool

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love your van builds..... nice quality work..... keep it up

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the new shelf it has A 15 degree edge on the back and a 15 degree edge on the underneath bit that picks up the wallboard

I peeled the vaneer off the old shelf and sanded off the debris with 280 sandpaper then smeared pva wood glue all over sanwiched it between 2 thick boards clamped it all up and left it over night

The front is all screwed together top pannels back on waiting for the curvy hardboard to be rolled as I dont have a roller

I need to take the cabinet and bed boxes out again to cover the walls

Caravans are cool

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today I took apart the back and took the trims off the offside

I had to cut slots in the half round trims to get them off the sides #

Heres the damage Quite minimal

There is some damage to be fixed at the wheel arch and where the pannels join in the centre I also wanted to be sure the roof was sound as theres paper peeling in the interior corner of the roof so off came the pannels

Tomorrow I will take the nearside apart Then fix the damage and put it all back together
    Caravans are cool

I ain't nobody dork!
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is starting to worry me, you've got me hooked on another caravan thread, if I start shopping for flat caps & slippers I'll blame you!

Another cracking thread & another beautiful van in the making, keep the posts coming!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today we got loads done finished taking the trims off the roof and got the lantern widows out took off the pannels around the door to find its not as bad as feared

Then the shot blaster came and blasted all the painted trims so there nice and clean to get etch primed and go back on he did a cracking job and quick too did them in 2 hours I didnt expect he would do them today as he only came to give a quote but he said to save diesel he would do it there and then top bloke

I also started rebuilding the 2 bottom sections of the back hope to have the timber repairs finished tomorrow as its booked in to the painters next thursday

Norman the shot blaster

lantern roof timber is looking good

some bits that need mending

Caravans are cool

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love these builds ,keep up the good work.I must admit I do find it worrying like Spence 32 that I might be getting hooked on another caravan thread.PLEASE HELP !!!!!!.I'll be liking gold wheels next ( so bad taste ).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information