Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  55
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Ruby

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liking this, I can remember being taken to school in one at about 7 years old and having the **** taken from the other kids. My dad and G/dad both had 7s and 10s .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ian, put the fwd gearbox back on ebay with a 99p start and collection only. if it only makes a tenner or so it's all money towards the build.
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budetta View Post
    Liking this, I can remember being taken to school in one at about 7 years old and having the **** taken from the other kids. My dad and G/dad both had 7s and 10s .
    If they have a spare chassis and v5 I'm interested.....
    "Share with a wise person, and he will become wiser" - Proverbs 9:9

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    ian, put the fwd gearbox back on ebay with a 99p start and collection only. if it only makes a tenner or so it's all money towards the build.
    neil.
    Good point Neil, but ive left it outside in the rain!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fogey View Post
    Waits in anticipation . . . . . . . .
    Thank you!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/JkyqKr5arVM

Short video showing how little I'm starting with. I can move it about on my own, although I got my wife to help me today, also thanks to Joel who helped me take delivery of engine and move stuff around on Tuesday. At least with it on its roof there is no stress, there is so little to get hold of or prop it up on at the moment.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    18 things off the top of my head
    1. to delete the air con compressor, simply fit a 2000mm belt - IF you plan on power steering that is.
    2. to have a slightly more rearward exiting exhaust to clear your engine mounts use a 1800cc Mondeo cast manifold - retro ford have 300 odd of them upstairs
    3. get the down pipe for the Mondeo - it has an o-ring style gasket - not a gasket
    3a don't try fitting a 4-2-1 style manifold
    3b the modeo down pipe is cheap - 22 quid, and has the bung for oxygen sensor.
    4. retro ford do a thermostat housing that fires the radiator pipe forwards if tight at firewall $$$$
    5. retro ford make a rear bowl alloy sump and pick up
    6. when you fit a oil pressure sender unit 'large' into the block, it wont fit, you need to buy a ford 289/302 style extension, real steel sell them for cheap- the block is 1/4 npt - national pipe thead, you have to clock the angled extension to clear the internal oil cooler thing
    7. if you are using a type 9 , I think the side shifter transit is the one to get?
    8. IF you fit a type 9, you need the type 9 style flywheel, 'aftermarket NON dual mass flywheel' £118 my pal has a new one, plus the 210mm pinto clutch and pressure plate you will need. - this aftermarket flywheel has the edis crank position teeth on the back.
    9. if using a power steering rack and that pump, you need to know that the pas line from the pump - pressure side has a built in spring type coil, that smooths out the flow, you know its there as its crimped with a ferrule, if using a pas rack , the rack will pulse without it.
    10. IF you attempt to fit a Cosworth t5 tremec onto it, first take a DEEP breath, as the t5 specific flywheels are £450 pounds, the Cosworth clutch is £150, 23 splines input, 241mm
    11. p.s I know you like a t5..... - you will still need a tvr or s10 tail on it, you can't do anything but
    use a ford case -Cosworth and fit the gears onto a gm -s10 output shaft to use th etail housing, speedo drive. - so STICK with the type9 - - the transit centre always have a few
    12 the two stub things near the oil filter are not take offs for a oil cooler, they are cold water in and out, to cool an internal oil cooler, you need to have a take off to it from the bottom of the rad
    13. there is a stock piece of plastic come shaped and 12 inches long, that acts I think like a venture in the water line to speed up the flow
    Last edited by Nobler; 31-12-2019 at 01:06.

10. Likes69 ford liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    mt 75 box usable ?
    Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobler View Post
    18 things off the top of my head
    1. to delete the air con compressor, simply fit a 2000mm belt - IF you plan on power steering that is.
    2. to have a slightly more rearward exiting exhaust to clear your engine mounts use a 1800cc Mondeo cast manifold - retro ford have 300 odd of them upstairs
    3. get the down pipe for the Mondeo - it has an o-ring style gasket - not a gasket
    3a don't try fitting a 4-2-1 style manifold
    3b the modeo down pipe is cheap - 22 quid, and has the bung for oxygen sensor.
    4. retro ford do a thermostat housing that fires the radiator pipe forwards if tight at firewall $$$$
    5. retro ford make a rear bowl alloy sump and pick up
    6. when you fit a oil pressure sender unit 'large' into the block, it wont fit, you need to buy a ford 289/302 style extension, real steel sell them for cheap- the block is 1/4 npt - national pipe thead, you have to clock the angled extension to clear the internal oil cooler thing
    7. if you are using a type 9 , I think the side shifter transit is the one to get?
    8. IF you fit a type 9, you need the type 9 style flywheel, 'aftermarket NON dual mass flywheel' £118 my pal has a new one, plus the 210mm pinto clutch and pressure plate you will need. - this aftermarket flywheel has the edis crank position teeth on the back.
    9. if using a power steering rack and that pump, you need to know that the pas line from the pump - pressure side has a built in spring type coil, that smooths out the flow, you know its there as its crimped with a ferrule, if using a pas rack , the rack will pulse without it.
    10. IF you attempt to fit a Cosworth t5 tremec onto it, first take a DEEP breath, as the t5 specific flywheels are £450 pounds, the Cosworth clutch is £150, 23 splines input, 241mm
    11. p.s I know you like a t5..... - you will still need a tvr or s10 tail on it, you can't do anything but
    use a ford case -Cosworth and fit the gears onto a gm -s10 output shaft to use th etail housing, speedo drive. - so STICK with the type9 - - the transit centre always have a few
    12 the two stub things near the oil filter are not take offs for a oil cooler, they are cold water in and out, to cool an internal oil cooler, you need to have a take off to it from the bottom of the rad
    13. there is a stock piece of plastic come shaped and 12 inches long, that acts I think like a venture in the water line to speed up the flow
    Wow, lots of info, thank you for taking the time to share all that.
    I don't think I'll be doing much with the engine for a while yet, but there is lots for me to refer to here when the time comes.
    I was planning to use RX8 gearbox on adaptor.
    I want to lose the air con AND the power steering, is there a simple belt swap to do that?
    Otherwise I could do as you suggest with the 2000mm belt and just leave the power steering pump turning fresh air.

All the stuff re clearance issues I won't know about till Ive got chassis sorted.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife is calling the car "Baby Ruby" so I've changed the thread title, anyway "Austin Ruby" wasn't very imaginative.
    This is a bit of a change for me, all my previous builds were bits of Taxis. And I've never owned anything that was really old, this shell is about 83 years old, strengthened with wood!

Today I pulled a load of wood out and put steel box section in to strengthen the shell, which was wobbling about. Now it feels solid.

Above pic shows how one sill was bent and rusty, the other one was fresh air! I've now put some 4x2 box on in the same position, and this connects to 35mm box which goes up the b pillar.

Here with the box section in place.

I got this stuff to remove the rust, starting inside the roof (while shell is upside down). It doesn't seem to do anything, I tried using Kurust and it turns blue, you can see it actually working.
    Question: can I brush on some etch primer to protect the metal after I've cleaned it up? Will it react with the effect of the Kurust?

Another reason why this car is different for me, no V8 this time! Although I love the sound and performance of a V8, the Zetec should be a lot more economical, and with the Ruby being so tiny it should still be quick enough.
    I had been thinking about an A30, but the Ruby is even smaller, ideal for my limited space.
    The plan is to end up with something that looks roughly like a stock Ruby, but with more modern and usable running gear. Like brakes that aren't cable operated!
    Last edited by Taxirod; 03-01-2020 at 20:13.

14. Likessteve1275 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information