Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  124
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: Baby Ruby

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vacuum bleeder is the best. Sealey do one for about £30, really easy (and clean) to bleed brakes with it.

Here you go - cheap on Amazon at the moment. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS02.../dp/B008632ERA

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Vacuum bleeder is the best. Sealey do one for about £30, really easy (and clean) to bleed brakes with it.

Here you go - cheap on Amazon at the moment. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS02.../dp/B008632ERA
    +1 on that. I have one and it saves a lot of time and effort.
    If you like choppers you could check out my Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/KustomChoppersUk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is what we did on the minor ian.
    neil.
    ps the stay from the bellhousing to the gearbox crossmember is stock minor modified to fit. it stops the engine going into the radiator when braking hard as well as of course when you depress the clutch.
    Attached Images
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

5. Likes Taxirod liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dan Boy and Blackpop for the recommendation, I think I'll get one of those.
    Thanks to Mygasser for the pic above and the phone calls this week.
    I removed the hydraulic bits and thought about fabricating a pivot to make it mechanical clutch (as per the Ruby was originally, or like Morris Minor), thanks Neil for this idea, also your idea of making it cable clutch. But I came to the conclusion that I would probably spend time fabbing bits, then likely the clutch would be too hard/ not enough room for pedal travel /whatever, then decided that I had already made all bracketry to use standard MGB bits which should work together nicely, so I went to my local hydraulics place today, they are making up a flexi pipe which should allow me to bleed it properly. I now realize that by putting the car at an extreme rake to get the m/cyl closer to level, that was making the slave cylinder at a worse angle.
    So now i plan to bolt slave to bellhousing, jack car so that slave is ideal position to bleed while m/cyl is completely unbolted and thus pointing the right way.

Meanwhile Ive been making exhaust

I had this bit of 2" pipe and these flanges left over from old MGB downpipe. I used these flanges bolted together to make the rear section of exhaust easily removable.

I remembered the method Steve Lang showed me for joining pipe: tape it together, then remove one small section with stanley knife, tack, then do 2 or 3 more similar tacks, then remove all tape and fully weld.

Heres the cheap ebay secondhand MGB silencer, with bits of pipe added to both ends, and see the downturn at the end, that is to add to the illusion of this being a stock Ruby

These bits of rusty pipe were on a recently acquired Rover V8, I slit a piece longways, cut a bit out and welded it back together, so now its a 1" peashooter (with appropriate surface rust) to appear at rear of vehicle.

Also this week some ethanol proof fuel pipe arrived (thought I'd splash out a bit here!) and so now I have pipe complete from tank to pump to carbs.
    Last edited by Taxirod; 20-11-2020 at 19:39.
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

8. Likes steve1275, mygasser liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    With 2 people recommending the Sealey vacuum bleeder, I splashed out and bought one, it arrived today.
    Also I got a new flexible clutch pipe.

I decided to re do the brakes with the new gadget, yes it does work well, I had the car raked liked a 1970's custom and the nuts on the m/cyl loose to get the m/cyl pointing up instead of down, at the same time the servo had its bracketry undone and wedged with its nose in the air as per suggestions, brakes are much better now.

Then for the clutch I got the car tilted over, similarly loosened bolts on slave cyl, while the m/cyl was completely removed from its mountings to allow it to be at the desired angle. I now have a clutch pedal!

Big thank you to you all for the help.

Right, time to move on to the wiring. On previous cars Ive bought one of those kits that come with stuff written on each wire, but this time I decided to have a go using bits I had already.

I was given 2 reels of nice thick wire, 1 black 1 yellow, should be up to most things on the car, I found these numbers/letters to aid with identifying wires later on. Especially as mainly using only 2 colours of wire!

I'm using this cos

a.Ive got it
    b. I like the way you get hazards and indicators on the 1 stalk using just 1 flasher unit.

But I dont like the glitzy chrome against the backdrop of the original steering wheel and the rusted dash, thinking about perhaps matt blacking it. I don't have any of that rusty look paint.

The other day i saw on the "Temptress" thread how Robert painted his exhaust manifolds, that reminded me, don't I have a can of that somewhere? Yes there it was on the shelf, I thought it would tidy up my almost complete exhaust, but the lid was reluctant to come off, so I bashed it against the workbench and suddenly silver hi temp was squirting uncontrollably everywhere, I tried to direct it at the exhaust, but made a big mess, glad I had the Truck covered up!

Here's the original exhaust hanger, the rest of the exhaust was long gone.

Here is how my peashooter will look, waiting to see how it sits in relation to the back bumper before finally welding this on
    Last edited by Taxirod; 24-11-2020 at 19:23.
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

10. Likes legendlives liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    peashooter ! great idea !

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Love the pea shooter

And glad its not just me.........the spray can made me laugh...

IT'S NOT GETTING WHAT YOU WANT...IT'S WANTING WHAT YOUVE GOT

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could have been worse, must have been 30 odd years ago and the apprentice was spraying underseal from a Shulzt gun when the breather hole got blocked and it pressurized the can. Of course the seam in the can was facing him and when it burst he got the whole can full head to toe. Not that I laughed much!!!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budetta View Post
    Could have been worse, must have been 30 odd years ago and the apprentice was spraying underseal from a Shulzt gun when the breather hole got blocked and it pressurized the can. Of course the seam in the can was facing him and when it burst he got the whole can full head to toe. Not that I laughed much!!!
    i did that years ago too, only it got me from my chest down. i only had a t shirt and jeans on, nice it was . those clothes went in the bin and i wore a boiler suit home .
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well Ive been plugging away at the wiring this week (j-geddit?) but I did pause to drop the car onto its wheels and check for ground clearance. Turns out there is less than my Truck! And that was intended to be low, this wasn't particularly. For now, Ive remade a bracket which has bought a bit more clearance, I'm gonna wait and see what its like over the speed humps (which have got me surrounded). The truck gets over fine, so maybe it'll be ok. Recently a friend gave me a lift in his Golf, totally standard, and that made some horrible noises when it hit the humps round here.

I played about with the bumper irons, just enough to be happy on the peashooter position, and welded it in ( this was before I discovered the clearance issue. I think)
    The peashooter looks too clean, I have a mug of very salty water, each day I paint it on, will soon look suitably rusty!
    Also in this pic you can see the lack of boot floor, will do this later on. Probably.

When we moved into this house years ago it had an old bakelite doorbell, I found it recently and thought that it would be cute to have this as the starter button.

Wiring takes time, because everything you go to wire up needs a hole drilling/grommet fitting/light unit sorting out/etc etc. So with tools lying everywhere to do the wiring with, you then have to go off on a tangent and do other bits. This is the overhead console which is the working dashboard for this car, Ive been doing bits on it for ages, usually when I can't get on with other jobs. Now I need it finished so I can fit it up and connect wiring.

AND TODAY, I PUT PETROL IN THE TANK, WEDGED THE CHOKE ON, AND FIRED HER UP!!

Always a milestone moment when building a car. It sounds so tame after V8 and superchargers!
    But that was the plan....
    Last edited by Taxirod; 28-11-2020 at 17:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information