Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Baby Ruby

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Reliant used a version of the Austin 7 engine, then graduated to their own engine, which was quite something for a small manufacturer. Therefore, I'm guessing they designed their engine around the space of a 7 engine. The 750 racing club that Streetwise refers to started off with 7 running gear, but then switched to Reliant engines subsequently.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for info, interesting, but I only plan to use it in it's original state for the odd go round the block. It just isn't close to coping with modern driving conditions as far as I am concerned. The original front axle and steering parts etc just look so thin, one decent pothole could snap it I reckon.
    So today I dismembered my cross member

After measuring again a few times I settled on taking 5" out of the Mgb front clip. By keeping it stock Mgb at least all parts easily available.
    Also thanks to all who commented on my tech discussion query about narrowing the steering rack. Just need to find someone with a lathe to recur the thread.
    Last edited by Taxirod; 24-03-2020 at 19:50.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the wire wheels? If so what rear axle as that's going to need a lot taken out . I do have some 4x14 early MGB steels and the hubs and some Appliance smooth centres that took 205 70 14 tyres . Just a thought

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budetta View Post
    Are you using the wire wheels? If so what rear axle as that's going to need a lot taken out . I do have some 4x14 early MGB steels and the hubs and some Appliance smooth centres that took 205 70 14 tyres . Just a thought
    Thanks for the offer, but I have Mgb back axle, and 5 wire wheels with all adapters etc.

Today I had a nice chat to Robert (Medusa) and finally grasped how he had done his steering rack, now plan to do exactly the same, hopefully all at home.
    But first I narrowed the cross member

Here I have cut up some bits off the redundant middle section to help with alignment

Once the crossmember was back together, I used it as a jig to hold the 2 cut pieces of the outer steering rack housing. I copied Ivanheow's idea of using a bit of the waste, trimmed down, and inserted into the tube to keep it nicely together while welding, also had rack slid in there for first few tacks to ensure I was not welding it wonky.
    Last edited by Taxirod; 25-03-2020 at 19:49.
    I may live in East London, I may have a number plate that reads "Chopt", but I do NOT use 6" wheel spacers!

7. Likessteve1275 liked this post
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes running a narrowed Chevette rack on the Country man, its easy to narrow inner part as rod end has male thread so just a cut drill and tap job. The B one needs a lot more machine work if I remember correctly. Good work .

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat job!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    Neat job!
    Thank you.
    Waiting for delivery of Mercedes tie rod and a 16mm x 1.5 tap to complete the narrowing job on the steering rack.

Meanwhile, thinking how I can get it running in its present state for a very short and slow ride around the block.
    I cant justify spending money on a 6volt battery (even if I WAS earning anything), so I'm planning to bung on a 12v battery, which should operate starter ok, and remove the old wiring, especially to dynamo, then use a 12v coil.

Anyone got a spare 12v coil lying around that I could borrow for a while?

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might be able to use the A7 6v coil with a ballast resistor. Of course, then you need to find one of these! Any car sparks out there who could advise?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4potHemi View Post
    You might be able to use the A7 6v coil with a ballast resistor. Of course, then you need to find one of these! Any car sparks out there who could advise?
    Good idea, the ballast usually reduces voltage by half I think?

The Mgbcoil springs are surely gonna be too hard for Baby Ruby.
    Found a pair of sport Brabus rear coil springs for a Smart car on ebay. Seller has given me dimensions and I should be able to use them, upside down. I cant see any problem with that, unless anyone out there knows otherwise.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    if using a 12v battery and coil, from memory you may need a 12v condensor too mate
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information