Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad Juju - the Turbocharged Volksrod Beetle

Well, here goes. Thought I would post a couple of pics of my current project up.

It's a complete wrong 'un, a '72 ragtop Bug with early panels, so I don't feel the list bit guilty for messing about with it.

The car is stock just now, aside from the engine, which is a little tweaked:

stock 1600 stroke and bore with forged pistons & con rods
    engle ts20 turbo cam
    straight cut gears
    John Maher Racing ported polished heads
    stainless valves, double valve springs
    bottom end lightened and balanced
    8 dowel crank
    009 Bosch distributor with max advance limited
    dellorto dhla 40 sidedraft
    garret t3 turbocharger

She looks a little bit, er, mental, from the back. The deck lid doesn't fit...

From the front though, a sedate early looker wrong 'un:

So... I have just sourced myself a framehead extender, I have some other choice bits to install too... I am still on the lookout for an oval rear clip for a roof chop. I had one, but had to sell it after sending it to someone who said they could do my chop for me who then went silent and ignored me. Was offshore at the time, needed to shift the clip, so sold it. BIGGEST regret EVER, but meh, them's the breaks.

So, where am I up to with it? the engine is in (obviously), and running. Had some issues with that, it kept popping through the carb and wouldn't idle, was generally misbehaving. Then I had a VERY big bang, and afterwards a real nasty rattling and clunking. So, dropped the engine fearing the worst, stripped the top ends down and found that the bottom end, at least, was sound.

The bang had blown apart the exhaust gasket on number 1 cylinder though...

Ooops... But... How the hell did it get like that??

Top end looked fine too, so after reassembling, cranked it and the noise had gone.

Turns out, while I was reassembling, that the tin wear had got caught between head and exhaust flange on number 1 cylinder, causing a MASSIVE air leak. So, that'll have been the cause of the bang and the blown to bits gasket then!

Engine back together, starts, runs, screams like a raped ape (to quote a friend giving me advice), BUT... The damn crank pulley keeps working loose, no matter how hard I grolly it down. Assuming that the washer I have with it is crappy. So, I can't test drive it until my parts order arrives today. Boooo!!

Still... I have on order a pulley with a timing ring with new pulley bolt and washer, fingers crossed it'll stay tight this time! Once that arrives, I will make sure that my dizzy only advances to 24* and then it's time to test drive. I will be sticking the boost at a modest 6psi for now, then cranking it up to 12-15psi once I'm happy ad feel confident in the engine. I am also considering alcohol injection to make the bigger boost a little safer, since I am using a draw through setup I effectively have a bomb strapped to the back of my car. Last thing I want is a detonation in the intake!!

Nitrous is another consideration, I won't have to increase the boost then and it will still cool the charge, but with a set of 25 shot Y foggers (dare I go 50???) I can T off the fuel line that is there (fuel pump is sticking 3.5 bar out I think), there's a blanked off boss on the intake I can stick a fogger nozzle straight into, so not a lot of work to fit. Bottle can go behind the back seat.

So, other plans... Well... Once I have enough parts to turn it into a Volksrod, I will press on with that. I want it to look like a ridiculous Hotwheels toy, so I am going uber cheesey with big fat rubber on the back banded 15" steelies sporting some very wide, very tall tyres, skinny wheels up front on lower profile tyres, daft rake with rear suspension left at stock height. completely open back end, possible with the remains of a sliced up decklid barely covering parts of the engine, with a few other ideas which I am banding about which I will keep to myself for now.

After a bunch of setbacks, tantrums etc I am determined to push on with this project. I've learned that one can only rely on one's self really, which is a bit of a pain because I am about the most unreliable person I know when it comes to getting projects finished (I am too easily distracted!).

One thing I am still lacking is a bloody workshop, somewhere dry to work!! I still have an open yard to work in which is such a pain in the ass it's not even funny.

Anyway... More updates later I guess?

Video on it's way of how the engine sounds...

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, the only other thing I may do, once the Volksrodding is done, is put a 90* bend on the top of the exhaust collector, and remove the 90* bend on the intake, to make the intake shorter and push the turbo forwards towards the fan housing. Maybe.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine running, before the bang and before I nailed down the cause...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...62182499531368

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict bigyellataxi's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, hurry up and crack on with it...

Fueled by Jim and Luckies.
    Still doing all the shit I used to ;-)

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parts arrived yesterday. But, the bloody crank pulley doesn't fit, had to tickle the woodruff key with the grinder but the damn ID of the pulley is a touch too tight so won't sit home on the crank. Grrr!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the pulley is now on. Here's a photo of me "souping" up my motor... Badum, TSH!

Damn thing STILL pops through the carb though. Arse. Battery flat now.
    Last edited by fall-apart-dave; 23-04-2014 at 13:31.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fall-apart-dave View Post
    Well, the pulley is now on. Here's a photo of me "souping" up my motor... Badum, TSH!

Damn thing STILL pops through the carb though. Arse. Battery flat now.
    im guessing you boiled it to make it fit easier.

nice project.you cant beat anything where the bonnet/boot don't fit because of the engine getting in the way
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Boiling it made it slip on lovely. It's NOT coming off again though! Hahahaha!

Well today was a bad day. A bad bad day.

I threw a bit of a tantrum at the engine, so cracked on with removing the locking wheel nuts (if you buy a car from someone, make sure they sell you the wheel nut key too FFS!). That took a fair while, but I got them off in the end.

Then I went back to the engine. it's popping through the carb again, which I am NOT happy about... And it sounded rough. So, checking the usual things I found it had suddenly developed a ton of end float. Not good...

Dropped the engine out... And I found that someone (NOT me!) had installed the sprung steel washer backwards, which meant the crank bolt was free to work loose. Flywheel had shaken loose, and taken out three of the 8 dowel pins.

Looks like the flywheel hasn't been damaged but won't be able to tell until I test the holes with some dowels...

NOT a happy bunny rabbit today... So the engine is back in my utility room, and I am going to scratch my head a little and then try and get the sheared dowels out...

In the meantime, I am going to concentrate on actually building the Volksrod.

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lost the flywheel on my motor whilst doing a burnout at the Pod. It came of at 6000rpm and tried to cut through the bellhousing. As you know they are magnesium so when it hit the engine bolt all the mag dust went up like a firework, pretty spectacular BUT none of the dowels sheared,5 bent over although the big Scat nut had clearly been loosening during previous runs.
    Were the broken bits there or had they ever been fitted??

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Broken bits were still in the flywheel.

Can I get away with 5 dowels for now? Urgh... I don't want to bodge it!

Gotta dig my 36mm socket out too!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information