Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Bedford !

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bedford !

So started working on an early Bedford Type A, it's from 1952/54 and was originally a 5ton flatbed. I'm going to modernise the running gear and power it with a cummins Diesel engine from a DAF truck.

It's starting to take shape and I'm getting ready to fab the engine mounts.

Google Album;
    https://goo.gl/photos/LffuXxzSdq2LszUaA

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    i remember these old A model bedfords well my dad was a commercial motor trader & these were his bread n butter when they were just a few yrs old i spent many hrs helping him remove platform body,s & putting a dropside body on it, we would also take a short wheelbase tipper remove the body & tipping gear & convert it to a tow truck with harvey frost jib, Fun days as a young boy loved every minute of it , heres a picture of a few of them taken about 1958

good luck with RAY A in sf

American Truck importer v8.jimmy's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    and the old Commer rising from the ground, and is that the headlight of an A30/A35 to the left above the Commer platform?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh good build going on there, did consider a Cummins for my J type you probably know that there is a conversion for the gear lever to go straight into the top of the ZF gearbox when they put these engines into Land Rovers
    Keep posting the build photos , love A, D, and J types here is mine

Cheers

Dave

Forum Sponsor RAYS CLASSICS.COM's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by v8.jimmy View Post
    and the old Commer rising from the ground, and is that the headlight of an A30/A35 to the left above the Commer platform?
    hi jim that was a 30cwt superpoise type cab commer, the back end of the lorry with the market garden gates was another A model bedford from a local chatham wholesale fruit & potato merchant H J TAYLOR , the old ts2 commer was one of five that came out of a kent firm, where it sits is what we used as a loading ramp , when plating & testing & vat came out my dad lost interest in the business & finally sold it along with the property a few yrs later , he was old school everything was cash & a deal was made with a handshake , i love daves little j type turned a few them swb into tow trucks in my time , still those old british commercials . RAY A in sf

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice little J Type Dave looks very original. I haven't seen any conversion kits in the UK for the ZF but have seen some pieces from USA that can bolt right in from F250 and bronco.

Love the old photos Ray, the A type must have been a strange sight back then with it's American lines!

Michael

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael, Have a look on the Land Rover forums for ZF conversion kit ,there is a guy on Retro Rides who has done a Green Goddess with the Cummins /ZF and thats what he used im sure he bought it over here
    I have a 330 Bedford in mine with 4 speed and a very high ratio diff 8/37 gears (4.63-1 ) it takes a long time to get to full revs in top and will do 70 but its scary with them skinny X plies and vague steering, I could do with putting the Old diff back in and a 5 or 6 speed box would make it climb hills better especially with the caravan behind
    Are you using the DAF axles on yours ? would be better with air brakes instead of the servo-vac

Cheers

Dave

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dave 62 pb View Post
    Hi Michael, Have a look on the Land Rover forums for ZF conversion kit ,there is a guy on Retro Rides who has done a Green Goddess with the Cummins /ZF and thats what he used im sure he bought it over here
    I have a 330 Bedford in mine with 4 speed and a very high ratio diff 8/37 gears (4.63-1 ) it takes a long time to get to full revs in top and will do 70 but its scary with them skinny X plies and vague steering, I could do with putting the Old diff back in and a 5 or 6 speed box would make it climb hills better especially with the caravan behind
    Are you using the DAF axles on yours ? would be better with air brakes instead of the servo-vac

Cheers

Dave
    Hi Dave,

Sounds an interesting vehicle to drive!
    I will be using DAF axles and air brakes and eventually air suspension too, just mocking up and welding up engine mounts and cross members just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Michael, i eventually found the post on RR with the ZF gear lever conversion and that was a unit from a ford F series truck , so probably only available in the states but Land Rover guys are using them maybe somebody over here is supplying them but they dont look too difficult to fabric out of steel (similar to Bedford gear lever tower on yours )

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information