Nuttier than squirrel shit
More magic going on in your shop there! Love this thread. We would never get anything like this on the road here in sunny Queensland.
Another good weekend with lots done.
The body mounts are now in place. It's nice to have it stiff and not floppy any more (fnarr fnarr).
'A' pillar mounts:
'B' pillar mounts:
Front mounts, welded at the very front of the steel shell and will be bolted through to threaded bosses in the engine bars:
Rear mount. This spans the full width of the chassis ladder and is welded to the boot-lid hinge panel:
There are also a few of these appeared around the cage:
Which are now red oxide of course:
These will allow the wiring looms to pass through the rollcage tubes and keep everything looking super-neat.
Many a nice car spoiled by having the wiring cable-tied or taped to the rollcage and chassis!
Didn't get a lot done over the weekend as I was crewing on the works Topolino altered at the Nostalgia nationals (Got runner up!).
Managed to get the first angry snail in it's proper position:
This is the worst side as it has to clear the steering, bottom hose and oil system as well as having to miss the tyre on full lock/full bump and tucking into the wheelarch without getting too close. I could have just put them in front of the engine (which would have been easy) but as soon as I planned twin-turbos I knew where they had to be.
I also did a few of the smaller jobs.
The dashboard mounts are now welded to the cage, and it's bolted in place:
The 'chute release is in place:
Along with these tags to mount the 'chute release cable:
I really don't want cable-ties anywhere around the cage.
Not much photo-worthy at the moment.
I have managed to get hold of an 850DP which I'm now modifying for blow-through:
That should do it!
Also modified the engine mount brackets to take countersunk bolts:
Currently I'm trying to fit the second 'angry snail', then onto the inlet manifold.....
um , LL , is it me or is that carb a bit of a problem manifold wise ?
Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U
Having got the carb I suppose I'd better modify it for blow-through. Just as well, and someone has obviously had 'a play' with it in the past and the jet sizes and power valves are all over the place. It would have run fine on the primaries, but gone very weak on the secondaries. Wonder why they sold it?
Still, no matter as all of that stuff will need replacing.
So I took off the choke horn and smoothed what was left:
A little trick I've learned through the years of doing this is to cut the List number out (as it's on the choke horn and would usually be discarded) and re-affix it somewhere else on the carb. I usually screw it to one of the threads made redundant by the removal of the choke.
Also redrilled the power valve passages to 0.084"
Lots more to do. The whole thing needs a thorough clean, and the smoothing needs a bit more smoothing, but as all of the above work only took half-an-hour I guess I can spend a bit more time on it!
Flange 2.0 or 'Beware the internet'....
Having spent what felt like months cutting steel flanges out of pieces of sheet, I thought I'd take the easy option and buy the two wastegate flanges I needed from the internet.
'Wastegate flanges x 2' the advert read. '38mm wastegate' it continued, '$11'. I hit the 'buy now'.
What arrived was these:
Which, being quite switched on with this type of thing, I decided were too large.
So formulating a plan, I spun these seats up:
Which were press-fitted into the flanges and then seam-welded:
Then marked and cut the correct size flange:
Smoothed, drilled & tapped into these:
With the left-over bits which will probably become the front chassis tie-down brackets. I love it when a plan comes together!
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)