So after lots of lurking and learning I managed to source a half engine from the states for my project car.
It's a 1974 four bolt main on standard bores and crank, and at first glance hadn't been run in a long long time.
After its arrival I soon found why it had been pulled; head gasket failure and seize on number 7 cylinder. So, poured diesel down the bores and let it be for a week, rocked it over and did the same to the other bank.
Three weeks after it arrived it was time to strip to the bare block and box all the components.
Initially it started to come apart fairly easily and not having stripped a Chevy or even a V8 before, I took it steady(ish). Managed to wreck a cheap harmonic balancer puller in the process but with a little heat and hammer persuasion the balancer grip relented.
Sump off, timing case off, lifters out, timing chain and sprockets off and out came the camshaft. Loosened the mains and caps and then one by one dropped the pistons and rods out.
Popped out the core plugs and cam end cap and laid out the destruction.
I don't intend on keeping any components from this, I just need the block as I'm going for a full new parts build on it.
It's since been degreased and paint stripped.
Now it's sat waiting for an appointment at the machine shop for the hot tank, rebore and new camshaft bearings to be fitted.
I'll update when I've unpacked the latest pile of goodies for the build and it's back from the machine shop. Hoping to start building in a week or so.
Thanks for reading!