Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Chevy Build '74 350 SBC

So after lots of lurking and learning I managed to source a half engine from the states for my project car.

It's a 1974 four bolt main on standard bores and crank, and at first glance hadn't been run in a long long time.

After its arrival I soon found why it had been pulled; head gasket failure and seize on number 7 cylinder. So, poured diesel down the bores and let it be for a week, rocked it over and did the same to the other bank.

Three weeks after it arrived it was time to strip to the bare block and box all the components.

Initially it started to come apart fairly easily and not having stripped a Chevy or even a V8 before, I took it steady(ish). Managed to wreck a cheap harmonic balancer puller in the process but with a little heat and hammer persuasion the balancer grip relented.

Sump off, timing case off, lifters out, timing chain and sprockets off and out came the camshaft. Loosened the mains and caps and then one by one dropped the pistons and rods out.

Popped out the core plugs and cam end cap and laid out the destruction.

I don't intend on keeping any components from this, I just need the block as I'm going for a full new parts build on it.

It's since been degreased and paint stripped.

Now it's sat waiting for an appointment at the machine shop for the hot tank, rebore and new camshaft bearings to be fitted.

I'll update when I've unpacked the latest pile of goodies for the build and it's back from the machine shop. Hoping to start building in a week or so.

Thanks for reading!

Sam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're doing a fine job. Something you might find interesting or helpful is a guy on Youtube under Cartapes. Search for hotrodding the SBC, it's a bit old and outdated but the principles are the same and the steps are clearly explained

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to upgrade the oiling a little, buy a STD MELLING pump, blueprint it & smooth out the sharp edges then contact me if you would like to fit a different pressure relief spring (I had to special order 5 from Melling USA to get them so I have 4 left over) which will increase oil pressure by 10Psi. This is all you will ever need, don't make the mistake of buying a high pressure or high volume pump - both are not a good investment for reasons too complicated to go into here.

Buy "how to rebuild a small block Chevy" & "how to hot rod a small block Chevy" to find out all you ever need to know on these engines - they will also explain the oil pressure problems with the 2 pumps mentioned above.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WB54 View Post
    You're doing a fine job. Something you might find interesting or helpful is a guy on Youtube under Cartapes. Search for hotrodding the SBC, it's a bit old and outdated but the principles are the same and the steps are clearly explained
    Thanks for that info, found the vid and saved his channel for when I get home from work!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    If you want to upgrade the oiling a little, buy a STD MELLING pump, blueprint it & smooth out the sharp edges then contact me if you would like to fit a different pressure relief spring (I had to special order 5 from Melling USA to get them so I have 4 left over) which will increase oil pressure by 10Psi. This is all you will ever need, don't make the mistake of buying a high pressure or high volume pump - both are not a good investment for reasons too complicated to go into here.

Buy "how to rebuild a small block Chevy" & "how to hot rod a small block Chevy" to find out all you ever need to know on these engines - they will also explain the oil pressure problems with the 2 pumps mentioned above.
    Already bought the first book you've mentioned, appears very informative and useful. Unfortunately I've already ordered the Melling high volume pump and its now arrived, before I send it back for exchange I'll skip to that chapter and learn why. I'm keen to follow your guidance as I'm planning to track my project at times and most likely installing an accusump system.

I've been going at the exterior casting with a dremmel smoothing the rough/sharp edges whilst awaiting the machine shop. I have week's lead time to wait

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    well done! what car's it going in?
    the sleeper must awaken

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I've got a mid-engined kit car I've been building up over the last few years. Not a hotrod I'm afraid.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only rebuilt one engine and it was a 1978 2 bolt main 350.it was standard bore that was honed out with a drill with an honing attachment . had the crank ground ( professionally)10 thou as it was scored .used the stock con rods and bought a set of standard bore hyperuntenic pistons . put an Edelbrock rpm cam inlet and heads on .the car weighed 1200kg and ran low 12`s on motor and late 10`s with gas .the engine had a load of abuse for 6-7 years before it rattled .turned out one of the old con rod bolts had loosened /stretched . i was surprise the engine lasted as long as it did as it was my first and only engine build. I must admit I was worried when we first fired the engine up and run in the cam and even more worried when I used the gas for the first time. your doing the right thing taking your time and reading/getting as much info as you can
    livin' on beer 'n' jaffa cakes -one box per pint

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, long time, no post but I've finally amassed the rebuild parts.

A successful machine shop visit; now rebored to 30 thou and new camshaft bearings fitted.

Gave it three coats of POR-15 Ford Red Engine Enamel (because Chevy Red is orange).

Also built this ready to start assembling.

I'm just needing to source a decent PCV setup and an alternator now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good work mate,

Ditto avoid high pressure/volume pumps.

Built a few SBC's, i'm now going solid lifter as i'm tired of adjusting hydraulic lifters and not sure they're pumped up or not, I know most will probably say hydraulic is simpler but i've never got my head round them. I'm used to adjusting lash on crossflows and i'm happy with that.
    Also roller lifters are the way to go if you have the ££, no more worries with flat cams and the wrong oils.

The good thing abut the SBC is the wide range of head gasket thickness's available, aim for the highest compression ratio you can get for the cam you have before detonation, simple calculators online for this, happy to show you, I ended up with 0.015" head gasket on the Vette and 0.051 on the Stude, both cars had different cc heads 70cc vs 58, different piston cc's (6cc and can't remember the other one) and way different deck clearance (0.005 vs 0.040). The calculator allowed me to put in different gasket thickness and check compression. A great tool.

What cam have you chosen?

Look forward to the updates
    Last edited by Stude Star; 11-11-2016 at 20:09.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, it's all new this V8 journey. Learning a lot from books and posts.

I've opted for retrofit hydraulic roller lifters and a mild Comp Cam (Grind XR264HR-10, Adv Duration 264/270, Lift .487/.495). Essentially need to learn to drive the car initially and I'll swap out for something more powerful/aggressive next winter.

I've used a few online calculators but its all thought out figures rather than actual measurements right now. Once I've got the pistons in I can start to be accurate. Not sure of my head gasket thickness right now as away on work.

Might need to return the high volume pump as it's already been mentioned. I'm also going to rig up an Accusump unit once I've finished test fitting the engine in the chassis.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information