Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

chop top mk2

389K views 2K replies 171 participants last post by  chop top mk2 
#1 · (Edited)
hi ,
new on here thought you might be interested in my project.it,s a mk2 cortina which i have owned for about 17years. been done a lot years ago when i put a fiat twin cam in it , lowered it and a bit of a paint job.but now its time for a make over.so heres the plan, big wheels, ultra low ,v8 ,single turbo, i think you can guess where its going.heres what i have done already

it has a 3 1/2" roof chop and the screen is laid back 4". all the floors have been removed ready for the custom made chassis which is being done at work.have done all the design for the chassis myself and my mate at work is getting it all cut out on the lazor cutting machines it will be made from a light wieght 4"x 2" box section.all the running gear will be jag. more pics as i go.

See less See more
#58 · (Edited)
heres a step by step of how i have done the driveshafts.

located the drive shaft between centres and m/c it to clean up the casting.

turned down the spigot end to 25mm

once there at finish size remove from lath and cut drive shaft into two pieces leaving plenty on the end which is to be drilled 25mm so you can hold it in the chuck .

this is how it looks before the two pieces are pressed together
then it just wants welding up.

#62 ·
totaly and utterly brilliant thinking, this is going to be one build i am going to be 100% following just strait forward pics and explinations no drivel or pointless theories like one other thread i have just left. you my man are one clever man top marks.........andy...

#65 ·
Custom Car did an article on narrowing a Jag IRS a few years ago and did it the same way, however they then drilled a hole at the joint in the uj (between the turned down shaft and hole in the uj) and fitted a pin. This stops the weld taking all of the shear load. They also recommended normalising the shaft afterwards to realign the grains in the shafts which are disrupted by the welding process.

If I can find the mag in my collection I can scan the article for you if you want it?

#67 ·
cheers guy,s

might just take you up on the jag bits as i am bound to need some as the project progresses. still might pin the shafts yet , that article on the shafts would be good to see. i am doing my own crossmember as it is so narrow (to get the 9x20 in and be able to turn them). chris at work finished putting it on cad today and it looks awesome to be able to see it in 3d. he,s going to cut it next week.will post some pics of it on cad on monday.

more as i go.
tony:tup:

#68 · (Edited)
just been sorting out the front wheels and front suspension to take into work to build up onto the front crossmember when it,s done this week.
the wheels are mb imperia,s which i have had now for 8 year,s for this car.the tyres will be a bit bigger but i do like the rubber band look.

more pic,s tomorrow.:tup:

#69 ·
just been sorting out the front wheels and front suspension to take into work to build up onto the front crossmember when it,s done this week.
the wheels are mb imperia,s which i have had now for 8 year,s for this car.the tyres will be a bit bigger but i do like the rubber band look
more pic,s tomorrow.:tup:
Ooooh so do i, so do i.
Top work

#79 ·
finally heres some pics.
m/c the bottom suspension arm mounts up today.

these fit ovef the bottom tubes and will have a web to add strength.

also bolted up the front wishbones to get an idea of how it all will fit.

the one problem i can see is that with the intended engine placement the steering rack is in the way so will have to be moved to the front of the cross member this means the steering arms on the front hubs will have to be moved.the rack will also have to be seriously narrowed.more as i go.;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.