Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Consul Capri Rebuild

My consul Capri went in for a respray and turned into a restoration

Before

Then we came across copious filler

We found filler so thick in parts that is was 1/2 " thick.

New panels required from old.repaired stock for both front wings, repair panels for door skins and rear 1/4 panels, new flutes for side lights and repair panels for valance where it meets the side light flutes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what's your plans then mate

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still waiting to start on mine so keep on posting the progress as i have a feeling mine has a serious amount of plop in it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorvating View Post
    My consul Capri went in for a respray and turned into a restoration

Then we came across copious filler...

...We found filler so thick in parts that is was 1/2 " thick.

New panels required from old.repaired stock for both front wings, repair panels for door skins and rear 1/4 panels, new flutes for side lights and repair panels for valance where it meets the side light flutes.
    Mick worked in a bodyshop , standard practice, all mine probably have that much in them! You don't start out with a plan to put that much filler in, often you have no idea of how much is in there .As long as it's over steel and not chicken wire and old newspapers I don't see a problem ? There's a reason old custom were called leadsleds , just it was lead that thick not filler . If you can't see it until you start cutting it out then it's a good job done , especially with many years usage on them.

Depends how much you are willing to spend while building. One guy bought one of mine and moaned that it had filler in it , he thought he was getting a brand new panel and all lead loaded car ,didn't even buy it from me. He bought it for almost what the chroming bill came to.

When Mick built that he had 2 kids and a big mortgage but a NEED to build something, which he did on a budget, just like I did mine.

A guy locally bought a well known Capri from the late 80s for £1500 last year, looked almost as clean as yours in the before shots ,he's done over £10k on it SO FAR !
    Last edited by kapri; 08-04-2013 at 22:08.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kapri View Post
    Mick worked in a bodyshop , standard practice, all mine probably have that much in them! You don't start out with a plan to put that much filler in, often you have no idea of how much is in there .As long as it's over steel and not chicken wire and old newspapers I don't see a problem ? There's a reason old custom were called leadsleds , just it was lead that thick not filler . If you can't see it until you start cutting it out then it's a good job done , especially with many years usage on them.

Depends how much you are willing to spend while building. One guy bought one of mine and moaned that it had filler in it , he thought he was getting a brand new panel and all lead loaded car ,didn't even buy it from me. He bought it for almost what the chroming bill came to.

When Mick built that he had 2 kids and a big mortgage but a NEED to build something, which he did on a budget, just like I did mine.

A guy locally bought a well known Capri from the late 80s for £1500 last year, looked almost as clean as yours in the before shots ,he's done over £10k on it SO FAR !
    I agree and filler will be used again once the fettling has been done. It is the welding thats caused the problem. What I'm saying now is from the body shop not me. The amount of filler used was because of the poor standard of plates welded in i.e. metal work wasn't beaten out to shape and then a skim of filler, but rather the repair patches were to rough shape then liberal amounts of filler used. On several parts of the car the dayton line (think the words correct) was lost due to the above mentioned causing so much filler to be used in places. What the body shop said, and was a point of confusion to them, was the bits of bodywork you can't see e.g. inner wings etc was to a very professional standard, but the bits you could see was a totally different standard.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stpop View Post
    So what's your plans then mate
    the body paint will be a purple shimmer, and roof purple with a white pearl sprayed over, so it looks white but a hint of purple comes through as light hits it. Leaving the V6 Essex and later Capri running gear as it is. Will be lowered, lake pipes and hopefully skirts if my budget stretches that far. Interior will remain white and is in the upholsterers being refreshed with repair panels and cleaned.

If you have a look on the clubs FB page, you will see an advert from an old coachbuilder/panel beater who makes most panels by hand at a reasonable cost, and what is not currently made can be repaired. He is very very good.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got all the panels to start work.

Having real problems with the refurbished wing as there is a 20mm gap between the headlight panel and wing grrrr

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    More pictures

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always do the wings on the car for that very reason .If they've used club repairs panels they aren't a good fit anyway . Plus even from the factory there is around a 10mm gap that is filled with mastic strip as standard. Like the doors almost bang on the back edge of the wings but you can get your finger in the gap at the back. Not enough play to set them up correctly without slotting the holes in the A pillar , where the hinges mount , that allow adjustment.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheers kev, useful info

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information