Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  12
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SmileDrag Racing MG Midget

It's been a while since I posted on this. Last year was not good in various ways so the Pb still stood at 12.3/111 with a 1.8 60ft. In hindsight the car was settling onto the slicks as the springs had sagged and I was trying softer damper settings. Anyway after years of playing with Caltracs and/or A frames to improve traction I bit the bullet and decided to fit a 4 bar rearend. The limitations were not wanting to cut the bodywork because of the 8 point rule (this car is still street legal), working in a single garage stuffed with tools, and my welding,which would make a pigeon blush. So I made up some models in foamex and then had steel plates laser cut to suit. I tacked these together and trial fitted them.

The coilovers came from Gaz, who were very helpful. They are the 2" dia ones with 10-14.5" travel and 200 lb/in springs.I kept the existing panhard rod but with new rod ends and new axle mounting.The bars were made from 1" ID tube, with 5/8" UNF rod eyes in RH and LH threads and are 16.5" between centres. I used the existing spring mounts on both the axle and body but added additional fixings in the body for the front mount.

After more trial fitting the mounts were sprayed in hammerite and the bars powder coated.

The upper end of the coilovers were secured through re-enforced plates bolted through the rear wheelarch and then further stiffened by a thickwall square section tube across the car,tied to the base of the roll hoop.

So far testing has been limited to local roads (I was sitting on a box since I'm also making a new driver's seat) but the stance seems about right and the wheel/body clearance is increased.

Can't wait to get out and test this properly once the other Winter jobs are done.
    Nuttier than squirrel shit

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    12.3 is already very impressive, looks like the 60ft will be a lot better now so 11s this year could be on ? Good luck with it. Rich
    Talking about it, not doing it! Bench racing since 1994!

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Steve! I'm sure the 4 bar will make a big improvement.
    One of the differences with the earlier Mk1/2 Spridgets (with the quarter elliptic springs and upper reaction link) is that they provided very nearly a four bar link rear end as standard..........But then they went to the full length rear leaf springs which wind up and hop!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive bit of kit there bud, good luck!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Thanks for the kind words. Phil I think the quarter elliptic setup only came off the front spring hanger mount, although it is almost a 4 bar. I wanted to give this a bit more strength given the forces involved off the line.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie joe little's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a really nice job Steve. A 12.3 with a 1.8 60ft is very impressive and id have thought a 4 link will help no end. with a 1.6 60ft i think youd be looking at a 11 second ticket
    12.53 @ 107.2 mph home built 1700cc x flow! Faster than Dad....

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking forward to seeing this at shakey in March !

most of us can only dream about a 12.3 .............

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie petrolhead71's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cracking stuff there Steve, do you have any other tweaks in mind over winter?

Cheers Marcus

Official RnS Addict legendlives's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the way you've designed that to bolt up to the spring platform. Very clever and the workmanship looks superb!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Thanks for the comments.
    Joe,the problem with the 60ft is the turbo. Need to feed the clutch off the line to get it to spool,so slow first few feet,then it lights up with wheelspin until I shift. I've fitted up a line lock in the clutch line so I can get instant consistent starts,and will replace the lightweight flywheel with a standard one (2xweight) to stop the engine bogging.
    Solly I won't make it to Shakey until May,probably Gary's Picnic,as I don't like getting salt on it and it is road driven to and from the strip. Also still have quite a bit to do on it. I will be out on my ' private' test track however!
    Marcus I,m now in the middle of making a new seat in sheet Ali, will post on this later. Also quick engine out before the season.
    Legend,thanks for the compliment, but the credit should go to the welder who laid such lines through my awful tacks. I have tried to design for strength rather than lightness so lots of stiffening ribs and all the bolts in double shear. Also extra support for the front mount as the stresses on the original fixing points would be excessive.
    Last edited by steve1275; 23-01-2015 at 20:55.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information