Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  8
+ Reply to Thread
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Father son projects

Not a full build log just a look at what my son and I have been working o over the last few months.

He has a daily drive 30 model A pickup with 200sx running gear and has decided it is time to start another project.

He has a single garage size workshop so moulded his own body from the moulds I used to build the BIVA coupe.

As he lives in a modern housing estate it made sense to build the chassis at our place as noise does not matter and he likes to work until 2 or 3 in the morning at the weekend.

He likes the performance and handling of the 200sx based rods but they are a now too pricey for stripping down now. Closest alternative is a Lexus IS200 straight 6 manual 2L with rear axle in its own subframe Ford 4.5" 5 stud hubs.

Rather than having a whole car taking up space I purchased a rear axle and steering rack so we could get the rolling chassis built.

I had some side rails bent to match the 32 swaged rails and made some dies to form the front sweep.

Ash made the front wishbone mounts and arms using MK1 MX5 hubs that we drilled out to Ford 5 stud pattern ( Latter MX5 have 4.5" 5 stud pattern but only take 16" wheels.

Wooded the floor out

We removed the chassis from the jig and I decided that as it was already set up with the rear subframe I might as well build a 34 chassis for a body I bought very cheap about 12 years ago and have been collecting bits for.
    Using a pair of U channels I had bent I fabricated a 34 frame from mostly flat 3mm sheet.

The body is a cut down coupe I think that was chopped about to form a 4 seater convertible. cockpit was lengthened and the boot moved down like the sportster coupe, doors shortened and rear 1/4 lengthened. It was just a bare shell and all the work was done with filler, newspaper and expanded foam, I was told it was intended as a buck for making a production mould. Although the shape was there I had to grind out and fibreglass all the joins. I wanted glass in the doors and decided to have wind down glass rear windows.

Used an Audi A4 convert rear window unit which comes in its own assembly

We sourced a running, long MOT Lexus which was in very good condition for £380 and Ash stripped it clean and fitted the engine 6 speed manual gearbox.

Framed out the body and used steering column from the Lexus

He then did some of the body work and painted it his chosen colour. This is just first coat as at this point he was ready to take it home with all of the main noisy fabrication done.

These are just the wheels for moving it.

In the meantime I have fitted a Zetec engine with a 6 speed RX8 gearbox, I used MX5 rack as it works better front mounted on a 34. Focus column so I can use the ECU system that matches the engine.

The column has a useful double jointed shaft which when used with a flange bearing can help clear the engine and master cylinder it is also tilting.

As Mrs Rodbuilder does not like the wind in her hair I decided to build a detachable hard top. I formed a frame from 20mm square RHS and scratch built it from bits of fibreglass. I had a rear window from a Pop which was left over from the Fordson build which I took a mould off to form the basis for the roof

So that is about where we are now.

Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    very cool projects
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, I spy a chevy panel in the background...................

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 296moon View Post
    Nice work, I spy a chevy panel in the background...................
    and a pickup in 1 of the pics too.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You always make it look so easy.
    Great that your son is following in your tradition.
    With the Zetec, what did you do with the accessory drive belt? I'm guessing that you aren't using the air con or power steering.
    "The one who watches the wind will not sow seed, and the one who looks at the clouds will not reap" - Eccl 11:4

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both correct

Pick up is a regular driver

Chevy Sedan Deliver is next project

The only one my wife has ever been cross with me for buying, Bought it from US, 2 weeks later I was made redundant, put off telling her until it was in UK 3 months later.

She has forgiven me though

9. Likes296moon, steve1275 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I shall be fitting power steering but not air con, I will replace the A/C pump with an idler gear from an Audi from memory like the Scimitar truck I built.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information