Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Flippers Projects No.1 1977 Trans Am

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Flipper 
#1 ·
Well I thought I would post the progress of the ridiculous amount of projects I have on the go at the moment......

First up is this 1977 Trans Am, imported by me this year from San Diego in Sunny CA, car was originally shit colour by moonlight as you will see from the first pic but she was 98% rust free, really solid underneath etc, with only some minor rust around the rear window on either side and a bit around the bottom of the offside rear quarter, all now eradicated!

Few bits were not working when I got her, A/C had been disconnected long ago and lots of bits missing, speedo had failed, replaced with a spare I had, seat belts had been cut out except for the lap belts, and lots of other annoying little faults but generally a great car to work with and no rust!

She went through the MoT ok, thought I would get her tested to see how she was before spending shed loads of money on her....

Strip down, body prep and priming then followed,

Then the colour was applied to the newly prepped body, chose an old Vauxhall Gold colour from the seventies, thought about doing her black but then its just another black trans am, and as she has no t-tops it ain't worth it

And thats about where she is today, taken about a month to get her to this stage, all the other panels are sprayed so she just needs the screens replaces, and putting back together.
New headlining, carpet and refurbed dash, console, trims etc all ready to go in, new rubber door and window seals all round, refurbed black snow flakes with new BF G. rubber. New Flowmaster exhaust fitted before she came over the pond.

Trying me hardest to get her finished to a good standard as quick as I can, need to sell her to fund the other projects, will be posting them separately and will keep updating till they are done!
Gotta lay off the beer though..... :drunk:

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes mate, I have always wanted to start a business importing and restoring/ modding yank motors, so took the plunge! Still got the day job (I own a small construction company) so this is still very much a hobby that is getting as big as the day job!!
I have 4 imports now, this one, a '76 Trans Am, a '80 Formula 400 and a '79 T-Top trans am. The zero import duty and 5% VAT new rule for cars over 30 years old gave me a bit of a nudge....
Really need rust free cars or it ends up too expensive, so decided to bring them in. So I've plunged most of my savings into this and am gonna see where it takes me, hopefully the business will take off!

#7 · (Edited)
lol i reckon its not the original colour andy, the inside of the doors were light gold but the rest of her was actually a lighter shade of brown than the first pic, will have to do some research into the colours available in '77......
who in their right mind would buy a trans am in real shite colour?...... :whistle:

#9 ·
cheers mate, nah i farm the paintwork out to me mate slav, he's a jam roll and a great sprayer, he will do a job according to your budget and is really helpful, based in welwyn garden city in herts if anyone needs a good sprayer in the area :tup:

#17 ·
Update on the Trans Am..... panels started to go back on this week, Decal kit turned up from the states and the refurbed wheels got new boots, she is starting to take shape now, hopefully she should be all done body wise this week and I will dick about with the interior next week, nearly there........

#22 ·
Thanks Andy. The shakers on the '75-'78 models sat really low, they changed it for the '79 model (got one to start in the new year, white T/A 6.6, along with a '80 Formula 400 as well as the '76 T/A we have just started.... see Flippers project No.2)
Thanks for the comments :tup:

#24 ·
Started on the interior now, bit later than I had hoped but better late than never.

Stripped and cleaned the floor pan, only very light surface rust in a couple of places
Wire brushed it, treated it all and cleaned it up a bit

All cleaned and de-greased etc ready for the sound deadening, been using this stuff called FatMat, its just as good (in my opinion) as Dynamat, and it is quite a bit cheaper, would recommend it to anyone needing good sound deadening for their ride. They sell on ebay so easy to buy.

#28 ·
Good spot andy, its that shitty piece of tin over the wire channel, it was only about a half a mil thick to begin with..... thought about replacing it but have now removed it altogether.... better out than in..... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.