Have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  1

Thread: GMC S15 Build

Images
    Post Thanks / Like

GMC S15 Build

May as well start a build thread, as im going to need advice on this thing.

So, i wanted a rough old beater Chevy truck to have a bit of fun in without worrying about taking it out. Found out they cost £6.5k upwards, so gave up on that idea.
    Then this little S15 appeared on FB for not a whole lot of money.
    I didnt have the money or space for it, so low-balled the already low price, just because i like to push my luck.
    Wasnt expecting him to say yes, so a week later im trying to sneak half a truck past the wife...
    Turns out the previous owner (hi, if your reading this, as your probably a member.) had done a lot of work on it, rear half chassis fully fabricated for a 4 link, caged, etc. and had done it really nicely. Sold it because the engine was too big for it!

So, this owes me way less than it would have cost to do the work on it, and i have a LS1 in the back of a shed that i didnt pay for, and a broken 4L60e in the basement.
    My intention is to have this on the road for less than i could buy an abused old C10, without making an unreliable deadly pile of s*** made of scrap.

The time has come to start doing something with it, so i have bought a cheap used drop tube front end which arrives tomorrow, and im low-balling and ****ing people off, trying to get a narrowed 9" with all the shafts, brakes and expensive bits already on it without doubling my total spend so far.

PM me if you have one, and like getting insultingly low offers for your stuff.

- Jordan
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    subbed !
    Medusa + injection = too much torque for the dyno ..https://youtu.be/qg5o0_tJxYM

4. Likessteve1275 liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    The next piece of the puzzle has arrived!

Now, i also have a conundrum... I have been aiming for lightness where possible as it is a pretty light frame, and my LS is an ally block. I want a strong setup that isnt working at its limit, but strong also means bigger and heavier... 4l60 is 40kg lighter than a 4l80. Now im looking at the 9", as they sit at 30-35kg over some of the GM axles, and that is unsprung weight too...
    The reason this subject came up is i was having a look at how big the rust holes are in the Camaro, and noticed the chap i bought it from kindly put a LSD in it for me, and then must have forgot as he definitely said it had an open diff!
    I have a later model 10 bolt axle, LSD on discs which was meant to go in the Camaro, but it doesnt really need to now.
    Its had a few upgrades already, and i can get custom shafts to suit it from moser for $310.
    Anyone narrowed a 10 bolt? I might just go down that route instead.
    I do intend to run a pretty big tyre on the rear, which is why i started at the 9".
    But running a 9" behind a weeny 4L60 seems counter intuitive now too...
    What would you do?
    - Jordan

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've narrowed various axles including 10 bolt Chevy,s.they all narrow the same.

Can't see why they get over looked as they work well under a few million Chevy,s
    Rod/custom/drag build profiles:
    Mini | Pop | Porker | Trike | Morris 8

| 48 chevy coupe | ford f100 | tube chassis,d pop

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peopel use 9" behind anything because it 's what everyone else uses , I've even seen them behind Pintos !!

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly veering off in another direction. Is there a way to get a t56 box without selling 3 kidneys and your first born child?
    Or another way to get a reliable manual behind a ls1?
    - Jordan

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi jordan, 9" axle pics mate.
    neil.
    Attached Images
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in