Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie 33 Plymouth's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Sleeper Moggy

There are some great Minor's on here built in different styles so I'll add mine to the mix. Bought this last year to go to some events in and to put my mark on it with a few updates.
    This is how it looked when I got it.

I had to replace the rocker cover gaskets as they were leaking. So I re-polished the covers/ oil filler cap and replaced the T bolts with stainless cap heads. I replaced the old SU breather with a proper chrome PCV valve ( this had not been done when the SU's were replaced with the Offy / Edelbrock 500 ) and fitted a K&N type breather to the other cover to replace the old flame trap. I have also replaced the header bolts with new polished stainless cap heads and will replace the other old bolts with stainless as I go. I have replaced the old 9" filter with a new 14" K&N and fitted some chrome plug lead clamps.
    Starting the engine bay changes.

Well it all came to a grinding halt last June with a serious illness in the family, so car events and messing with cars stopped. The Moggy sat in the garage untouched for the next 8 or 9 months till things had settled down and I had the time and felt like working on it. Family comes first, cars are just big toys.
    With this years Kit car show and Drayton Manor nearly here I decided to tidy up the rad header tank and also move it over about an inch and down a little so the hose was nearer the wing.After removing all the old paint the surface was full of deep scratches and vice grip marks which took a lot of work to clean up. I cleaned up the bracket and made some polished ally plates for the top and front of it. Polished up the can and fitted it with new stainless bolts and dome nuts and extended the hose for a neater finish.
    Trial fit of the polished header tank.

Then moved over to its new position with extension to the hose to tidy it up.

That done, time to move on to the next part of the engine bay tidy up.

Next job was to polish up the stainless rad support brackets and start to make a cover for the rad top and a shroud above the fans

Changed the chrome PCV breather for a smaller ally breather which looks a lot better.
    Also replaced the painted bolts around the body panels with new stainless button heads which I polished.The bonnet safety catch was also polished up to remove the old paint.

Last edited by 33 Plymouth; 21-05-2011 at 09:55.

. . . . . . . . Sleeper Moggy on a test run . . . . . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now a little job that turned into a job you wished you had never started but I guess it will be worth it when I finally finish it.

The inner bonnet frame and stay are made from stainless so the stay and it's mounting tab on the wing got a polish which was nice and easy

Support frame on car

The idea was to drill holes for looks and to reduce weight, using my small hobby pillar drill . Well that idea was binned as the pillar drill was to small to use with my large vice, so had to use my trusty Black n Decker which was a very long and tedious job opening up the holes a bit at a time, all 49 of them

Drilling more holes

Gradually opening up the hole to 10mm.

Getting there slowly and getting fed up with drilling holes in stainless.

Buffed it up with the drill just to get some shine on it to see if all the grief had been worth it.

Not finished yet as need to drill more holes in the top and end plates, but needed it back on the car to get to the kit car show.
    Last edited by 33 Plymouth; 21-05-2011 at 11:28.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to put these at the beginning. Interior pics and a pic from last year at the Long Itch Dinner Butty Run

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also fitted a new carb I had sitting in a drawer bought for the 33.

More parts bought for the 33 going on the Moggy,this time some red plug leads fitted for Drayton Manor

Last edited by 33 Plymouth; 21-05-2011 at 01:13.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    very nice buddy its perfect aint it looks the nuts i love sleepers i did a corsair years ago and loved it i painted it white with lotus steels lowerd it a little upgraded all running gear droped in a nice 3.9 rover v8 and drove the wheels off it suprised quite a few boy racers with that lol. then went to a big corsar meeting at billing for a weekend and got lynched by every one wasnt a nice experience at all they were ok untill i put it in the show field and lifted the bonnet lol. the only person who came to help was the street machine mag photographer who was showing his corsair conv, your moggy as far as i can see is allso built well and i love the steels nice job buddy

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow .... that is real nice...

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie hotroddave's Avatar
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    ive seen this about a few times and absolutly ****ing love it! always loved minors and this puts new meaning to the phrase 'wolf in sheeps clothing'! only thing i'd change are the bucket seats for originals but thats just me.made my morning seeing this again!!!!
    8.1 seconds @ 168mph, 496 chevy powered, street legal pc cresta. "nuthin but trouble"

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers guy's, the Moggy was very well built by it's original owner many years ago who put a lot of thought into his build. The next owner in Scotland gave it the sleeper look by adding the steels,a respray from a lighter green to Almond green and all the correct badges etc.
    Other past owners have used it as a daily so it needs a good clean up underneath and some detailing when I can find the time to do it.
    As I only got to go to a couple of events last year it's a rolling resto this year so I can chill out at a few shows while making some improvements along the way.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    As the moggy has the early rear lights which flash the brake light as a indicator, leaving only one brake light. I decided to fit a third high level brake light ( or second brake light when indicating ) I didn't want to fix it to the parcel shelf so made up some brackets out of ally so I could hang it from the rear window rubber. After roughly bending the brackets to shape had a trial fit to make adjustments.
    Trial fit to see if it would fit

Not bad, so time to take off and tidy up the brackets.

Brackets cut to size and ready for some black paint to match the light.

Quite pleased with the look from outside

Just the wiring to sort out and a good safety improvement is finished for the drive to Drayton Manor.

I can't decide if to get the green front seats re trimmed in black or look for some new seats, so for now I have fitted some black seat covers.Simple solution for now but blends in better with the original black interior and the harnesses are more hidden against the black. The modern polished metal gear knob was a bit to boy racer so I replaced that with a wooden one to match the steering wheel, but made up a polished stainless spacer to fit below it. The heater cover was scratched so repainted it black instead of green to blend it in more with the carpet and give the dash a cleaner look The speedo bezel had been colour coded green so I cleaned that off to get it back to chrome and will do the same with the oil and water gauges.
    All small changes but I think it will help improve the sleeper look.

I want to fit new chrome bumper blades so decided to take off the front bumper. The over riders came off no problem, but the bumper had other ideas. The two centre bolts came off with a bit of effort but the other four were solid, then just spun in the hole. So out came a file to flatten off the bumper bolt heads for a centre punch, then drilled the middle out till they came out.
    Drilling out the 2 end bolts

After drilling out the 2 at the other end It finally came off.

Need to go and buy some new chrome blades and bumper bolts now and that's another part of the resto done before the next show.
    Last edited by 33 Plymouth; 21-05-2011 at 11:59.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information