Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

Haydn's 1971 Ford F100

Lets start with what it is: It's a 1971 Fifth Generation Ford F-100 Short Bed Pickup (110in Wheelbase), RWD, Three Speed Manual (Column change with foot operated handbrake), with a 390 Ci Ford FE Big Block V8 (or 6.4l in English) Ranger XLT Spec, which at the time was top spec with Air-con, Radio, Power Steering, deep carpets (don't all laugh at once...) and a Plush leather bench seat (which is actually more comfy than my ST) with Lap Seat Belts (can only carry two people) and the bed has 1/2 Ton capacity, with the total weight being 1600KG, which is surprisingly light, mainly because it has no modern stuff in it, no airbags, no electrics etc... The only electrics are for the gauges, lights and starter

It was originally registered in South Carolina, which is like full on Hillbilly country... I'm talking dungarees, straw hats etc... It's virtually rust free minus 3 spots around the body which are an easy fix, and the battery tray, which I can buy a new one. The paint isn't amazing and has flaked in a few places, but I'm leaving that for now

I bought it on the 31st October and got it to my house on the 1st December, at which point it decided to die on me and not idle whatsoever, so we ended up having to push it down the road into the garage where it remained until I got some parts for it: New engine oil, new trans oil, new fuel and oil filters, new carb gasket, new air cleaner gasket, new spark plugs and new vacuum hoses.

I took the carb off and the gasket beneath crumbled, so I grabbed some pics whilst I waited for the parts, it's a good job I ordered on haha. The carb itself I think (because the hillbilly who owned it before me ground the part number off) is a 600cfm 4 barrel Holley Carb with Vacuum Secondaries and a Manual Choke

The idle issue ended up being the fuel filter was full of crap from the tank being empty, so I changed the filter and put £20 of fresh fuel in it and it works like a dream now Although I have noticed that even though I've put £20 in it the needle on the gauge only goes up to the first pointer on the gauge. I've worked out it'll take between £70 and £80 to fill it up and with it doing between 10-12mpg, that means a tank of between 150-180 miles

It was originally in my brothers garage, but since it now drives I've swapped it over to my garage, which is longer, which helps, but not as wide so getting it in was a squeeze D: But now it's facing forwards so I can drive it onto the grass and work on it easier now, because in my brother's garage it was facing the other way

My plan for the next few weeks is change all oils and fluids, spark plugs and oil filter. Then purchase an entire engine re-seal kit (which comes to $65 or about £40) and get the engine like new again and fully re-sealed, as it smokes like a chimney at the minute, I'm suspecting Valve Stem Seals for that, plus it has been overfilled with oil anyways so that half explains the smoke

But the noise that V8 makes... THE NOISE!!!!!!!! I shall get a video in the next few days. Although I haven't quite mastered the art of a manual choke yet so getting it to the correct idle temps and speeds is a bit tricky

My plan long term is to get it running as good as possible, get a bit of power out from that big idle V8 and use it as a Street Rod/Dragster and also take it to some of the Ford shows throughout the year (it MIGHT be at Fiesta In The Park... If anyone on here wants to come, you can message me and I'll send you the details) I just need to Insure, MOT and then Register it, then I'll take it from there really, a re-paint is scheduled at some point in the future, probably an outrageous colour like Bright Green or Candy Apple Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    See you at FITP

Cool looking truck orange and green has been done to death. What about a low rider style roof paint job in the mean time

I'm a grown up member now !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you buddy

Damn, after a quick google some of them look proper cool I dunno, it won't be straight away though so I've got some time to think about it, maybe paint a few tester pieces and offer them up for now

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to do it on the cheap choos a design and go to a graphics shop and have them print it up and stick it on won't cost more than £50 even if they fit it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information