Forgot your password?

Forgot your username?

Likes Likes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    JC.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like

CoolJC's mk2 MGB GT V8 conversion.

Some of you will know I did a V8 conversion on an MGB GT about 2 years ago if you read my intro on the NSRA website...
    Phase 2 of that project was to strip it down, restore and paint the body and build it back up again. However, the scumbag bodyshop owner stole my shell and disapeared leaving me with all the parts I stripped off the car.

Since then, I've been quietly planning the best way to get back to where I was 2 years ago and I'm now ready to reveal my master plan.

Back in November, I picked up a new MGB GT to use as a base.
    Here she is as bought in November:

A set of 15" Wolfrace Slotmag alloys on Firestones and a new front valance had the car looking like this:

I then decided that I needed to rebuild the front suspension. I stripped the suspension, resprayed the wishbones and springpans, fitted new pollybushes and and all new bolts. I also fitted new shorter stiffer 600lb springs to replace the original 300lb units along with new uprated lever arm dampers, brand new droplinks, rebushed the anti roll bar, a new steering column, new UJ's and a motolita steering wheel.
    These modifications lowered the front end by about 3 inches. It also stiffened up the front end by 100%

The car only moves about 1/2 an inch if you try to bounce it on the front suspension. The only mods left to do on the front end are to uprate the brake disks, calipers and pads to V8 spec and maybe a thicker ARB.

I decided not to lower the rear end at this stage as the big tyres on the back would rub on the arches. When I fit my new axle (more on this later) I will be able to lower the rear as the new axle will be slightly narrower.

In the last month I've had the 4 cylinder engine out to do a clutch change, rebuilt the carbs and fitted them with solid butterflies and serviced the overdrive. It's a pity the whole lot is getting ripped out at Christmas to make way for the new engine, eh? I also found time to fit a towbar.

Specs of the car will be:

3.5 litre V8
    Borg Warner 65. 3 speed automatic gearbox
    MGC LSD rear axle

Ive been steadily aquiring parts to do this conversion since the last one was stolen.
    I've recently aquired a genuine Factory MGB GT V8 block and a narrow case MGC axle fitted with a Quaiff LSD.
    I've also managed to aquire a very rare MGC automatic shifter and a genuine MGC auto big brake pedal.

Realistically, all I need to complete the project is to build the engine, aquire a borg warner autobox, buy / make the inlet and exhaust system and propshaft.

There will be more updates in the near future covering the strip down and rebuild of the V8 engine along with the actual conversion process. Needless to say, this one is going to be a lot better than the last one and with the aid of nitrous oxide I hope to be putting down around 200bhp and around 220ftlbs of torque.

Watch this space for further updates...

-JC.
    -JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    JC your car was registered new in Sheffield,which is totally useless information,but something i specialize in ,Bry
    My Intro
    Insurance Repairs, MOT Work
    or Full On Restorations

Roberts Motor Bodies

Home of Henry Hirise
    Click to visit our website.

View the Henry Hirise Re-Build

When was the last time you did something for the first time ?

JC.
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that's right, Bry.
    It was sold new by "Kennings LTD" of Leadmill road, Sheffield.

I wonder if they are still trading?
    -JC.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information