Likes Likes:  468
+ Reply to Thread
Page 308 of 326 FirstFirst ... 208 258 298 306 307 308 309 310 318 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3256

Thread: Medusa

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mygasser View Post
    looks like nothing could go wrong there at all.............

I know !

Quote Originally Posted by chaley View Post
    I’ve finally got what the bowl of water is for. It’s to clean the wounds isn’t it?

Chaley
    may very well be in the end Chaley ..

Quote Originally Posted by 296moon View Post
    I recken it for Vibrationess..........................

i hope so moon , it would be nice to get a result to explain the vibes .( preferably without the motor working free and going tangential to the prop and destroying half the cave ,i have just realised the vfd off switch is within flail range , so may just run over and unplug the power socket if it all goes pete tong .)
    Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes!!!

Maybe better to just balance the flywheel on its own first?

I'm a newbie !
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you a trainee bond villian ?
    Only allowed the practice death ray kit ?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpopracing View Post
    Yikes!!!

Maybe better to just balance the flywheel on its own first?
    That's a very good idea, at least you can see/judge how safe (or not) the 'test bed' is without the added weight of the clutch.
    Neil
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it's only the flywheel that is allegedly out of balance?

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello chaps ,

Well all's well , set the frequency drive to 11 so it would start slowly , then after it all seemed ok , ramped it up to 25 so around 700 rpm ,no problems at all.

the idea was to put a bowl of water on the table, and shine a laser on the water ,so it reflected on the target on the wall ,marked to show different levels of vibration.

however ,,, the batteries for my laser have not arrived , so i tried to find another way to measure .

i down loaded 4 phone programs and tried them all , one seemed to do something , it's called vibsensor .

i laid my phone on the vice ,and ran the test , this gave me vibration readings on 3 axis X,Y, and Z.

X is side to side , Y is up and down , and Z is in and out ...eg bringing the screen closer to you and then further away (dougal)

with no weights on there i had readings of ...

X 0.30
    Y 0.21
    Z 10.49

after a few hours of trying weights from .5g to 20g , and all points of the compass round the edge , i got the readings down to ..

X 0.29
    Y 0.14
    Z 10.28

So that's a change of ..

X 3.4%
    y 33%
    Z 2 %

the x motion , side to side , figures, with the phone laid down on the vice anvil so it was sideways on to the flywheel ,since the z is up and down , and harder to move , and the y is fore and aft so in line with the shaft , it makes no sense the biggest change would be fore and aft as the rational vibration tries to move the bench side to side .no idea really if that means anything at all , any experts of balancing , please feel free to chime in .

i am a little undecided what to do now , if my batteries arrive tomorrow morning i will have another go , if not i think i will take the assembly up to rob walker ,and just see how much of it he needs taking apart before he can do any balancing on it .

i really don't want to take the box out again , after having the engine and box out so many times in the last few months .

One problem is , with the uj in the system , unless you get the uj dead square , the flywheel is changing speed ... i did my best to get it level , by packing wedges underneath it , but doing that one handed with the other hand doing up the vice with an assembly that weighs 95 lbs is a little problematic .

And yes i did have one of the 10g weights fly off at 700 rpm , it missed me and shot into a steel cabinet like a bullet ....oh i laughed.

regards
    robert
    Last edited by ivanhoew; 16-04-2019 at 21:30.
    Bicester scramble ,Medusa enjoyed the trip.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7I7-nA19U

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do the mass of the adaptor plate and vice have a dampening effect and so give a false reading?

I don't have a lot of faith in those apps, bit like the compass and level, not sure the gubbins in the phone is designed for them..

Glad you survived! :-)
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how you would proceed without a way of accurately indexing the assembly - knowing where it is in rotation. If your app gives frequency analysis then the vibration you are interested in is as RPM frequency whereas vibration from your UJ would be at RPM*2 (in theory).

You could, bite the bullet and take it to your friendly engine shop and say something like "can you balance this please". I seem to recall that balancing is not expensive unless you are talking about V8 cranks and other out-of-balance stuff. In years gone by I would have taken it to Osellis in Oxford but I think they are long gone.

Probably better to balance it without the bearing - you don't really know if you are just seeing run-out.

You could turn up an adaptor on your lathe and a sharp point and try statically balancing the assembly, then recheck the vibration. I have no idea whether that is practicable.

Just rambling...

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    think HAVING it balanced is the best option , the astom martin engine is a 3.6 the flyweel mightve been underbalanced to compensate for the crank i think you need to belance them as a set

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    WELL !!!!
    LORD LUVVADUCK APPLES AND PEARS !!!

Mr walker will let me balance it on his machine , and had given me a huge long 3 "steel bar to make a mounting spiggot for .bloody brilliant .

i will leave my stuck on weights on there so i can see if i actually made it any better with my lethal faffing..., what are the odds ?

regards
    robert.

13. Likes28Chevy liked this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 308 of 326 FirstFirst ... 208 258 298 306 307 308 309 310 318 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information