Likes Likes:  574
+ Reply to Thread
Page 352 of 354 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 350 351 352 353 354 LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 3535

Thread: Medusa

Official RnS Addict
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad that you got away with that Robert - Aluminium blocks can be quite forgiving though, on both my straight six Alfa and Rover V8 Comp Altereds I ran with just water in the block, but that was drag racing. The Alfa V6 engine did also survive a severe "Loss of Coolant" event!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    THank you Phil , so far so good .

gosh i got a lot done !

first off , i decided to approach the pump problem in my customary left handed way .

I had a think and a measure , and decided something that may help my cranking speed, and therefore make it possible to have the pump on all the time , was to increase the battery lead amp carrying capability .

the cable at the moment is off the jag xj40 the 4.0 litre came from ... and its about 7mm diameter , and i think it may be ally too .blergh.

I hunted the Ali babas cave of wonderment , and found this cable ...

fairly hunky ,but just not long enough ...

had enough of this one ..

but bit thinner , so i thought hey , i have about 289 amps cranking , so if i double up on the 7mm cables that might help .

took the ends off the red cable ..

and snarfled them onto the blue lead of power..

noice !

threaded it into the chassis , and i do believe its a lot better on the maximost cranktabulousnosity ...ness .

Now on to a more long term bit of develoment..

work on the hood has started , i got ot the frame from graham (bully) and cleaned it up ,made a piece to fit the screen top , then wedges two bits of ally into place and taped it up to get an idea of the height of it all...

Have a dekko ...

maybe a bit lower , and then it fabrication time , oh , and hood making on the freegle sewing machine .

Then Today i popped the old girl outside on the drive , fired up ,and while warming up , i balanced the throttles with one of those gunson carb things , boy they were a fair way out , it got to 75 c ,and rad pressure looked good , so maybe it's all ok dokay .

bouyed up by this i had a fit of little jobs , no, not too much fruit in my diet , but things that i have wanted to do ..eg , a bit of a polish of the grill and copper pipes and the screen bits ..

one last thing was the little strip behind the seat did not line up with the body side panel , so i took it off and filed it to match betterererererer.

At some point i will make a new set of strips with an overhang so the tube can be continuous round the seat area .

tomorrow i am hoping to do a 80 miles round trip and see how the mpg is now ,with my new wide bands.

regards
    robert

4. Likes55zephyr, steve1275, 28Chevy, Taxirod, bully liked this post
    Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    verily much productivityness

6. Remove Advertisements
    RodsnSods.co.uk
    Advertisements

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the profile of that hood - something Cruella DeVille about it.

Rods 'n' Sods Junkie
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoew View Post
    hoke a kokay ,

well struggling to get a bit of work done in the christmas melee,you may remember in the last episode we were investigating a way to support the shaft of steeringness.

i had a hunt in the crystal cave of wonderment (spares shed/greenhouse) and found a shaft with a pulley on it and a couple of plummer blocks . this came from a old huge compressor i scavenged ,and then changed motors and stuff on , and i was left with this jackshaft spare .

now the amazing thing is , the id of the bearings ,was the same as a ) the od of the minor column ,and b) the od of the section of the taxi shaft i wanted to use .

eg ...

Robert

Sorry to bother moi ...

Those bearings ? are they now trapped on the shaft by the U/J's/welding ? or are they free to slide off one end ?

regards Paul

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbird View Post
    Robert

Sorry to bother moi ...

Those bearings ? are they now trapped on the shaft by the U/J's/welding ? or are they free to slide off one end ?

regards Paul
    No Bother Paul , always happy to have comments on here , especially questions , they can slide off the steering wheel end , or rather the shaft can slide downwards

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budetta View Post
    verily much productivityness

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Love the profile of that hood - something Cruella DeVille about it.

zacto it has , i like it too , very brooding .

Good morning all , and welcome to the 400 new views a day i seem to be a gettin' of , vunderbar pop in and say hello ?

My trip around the countryside went well ,did 74.9 miles around south oxon and still have one green led on the fuel gauge , so that means half a tank left , i think it might be getting better ,running much leaner now in the 16 to 17:1 air fuel ratio , that's about as lean as i want it .had it up to reasonable speed on the a34 past didcot too which was fun .

one slight problem , i was going to park it on stoke row green and take some pics , luckily it had a little rd around it , cos i went round , found a place to park , tried to get reverse ,and uh . no .not a chance .....no amount of tugging on my lever in the car would create a satisfactory outcome ....pox .

so off i went to reading , and through the woods it suddenly got jammed , and i had no .. gears.. at.. all.

so parked in the woods and had some lunch .

i might as well bore you all with yet more interminable pics of the monster in a new forest habitat ..

Emboldened by my healthy hand full of nuts and raisins , i got in and had another session wrenching around with the lever , and woof low and behold it all came free ,and joyfullness , and gear selection returned ,,,,apart from reverse .

of i went again , and all was well.

good news is i sat in the abingdon traffic right through the town centre ,for ages , and the temp came up to 95 , fans came on , temp dropped , and the rad pressure went from 7 psi to 3 psi ..so that looks like my boilfest has survived .

i have a new plastic gear selector bush coming , and i am also making one out of steel too , so no matter what , i can rely on a firm bush and a solid lever in the car .

This mt75 platic ford selector design , cannot handle the lever being stuck out in front ,rather than straight up and down , i may change it a bit so mine is more vertical .....

once i have reverse working i can get to the stn and see how much fuel i have used , guesses on a card please

regards

robert

11. Likes28Chevy, bully liked this post
    Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    You must have the Gods of narrow squeaks sitting on your shoulders, one each side!
    Whirrr whirrr chuff chuff de chuff........chuff......BRUMMMM!

My Chevy thread: https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/sho...y-coach-403745
    Rugged Robin 2/3rd track: https://www.facebook.com/Rugged.Robin.tracked/

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    those plastic 'pivot blocks' that hold the gearstick 'ball' were always breaking up on dad's transits mate (admittedly after 100's of 1000's of miles, lol). you're metal replacement idea sounds good, plenty of moly grease and it'll be just fine even with some misalignment of the stick (ie not straight up).
    neil.
    need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.

Images
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh that's good to know Neil , thank you , i an also cut a coil off the centring springs too.

Bernard your'e not kidding , coasting along down hill with no gears into a twisty woodland lane was momentarily perturbing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where you live, Town\City\County etc.

Please enter your full name
This field cannot be edited once it has been completed other than via contacting the site admin. Please make sure the information is correct first time.

Log-in

Thread Information