Helloooo. Is the visor a steel or fibreglass one?
Okidoki. Nice car by the way.
need a job done on your project? i may be able to help.
i thought I might be able to do but didn't want to be stuck with the 4" Spring if it didn't pan out. With coil over I figured I could put it where I want it and buy / sell springs until I was happy with the ride......but you got me thinking now, I really don't have the time to convert the struts, so new 4" springs would be handy if I can gain 2in with a different Spring on the billies, as I prefer the self centering you get with stock springs.
Had a look at Burtons but couldn't fathom which one would suit, any clue if they do them or where I can get them ?
I had a hell of a job sorting the camber / castor on my capri billie comversion.
The consul struts must be almost verticle and when i lent the capri ones back to get settings right etc they didn't go anywhere near centre of original top mount, backwards and inwards towards scuttle kind of thing.
Ok so good progress on the consul
First job I did was sort the trans output bush. The car had a rumble at 50mph. Upon inspection there was audible play in the yoke/ bushing. Fairly straight forward job, tail housing off, use a combination of expletives to create this from the old oil seal
Next Knock out the old bush which wasn't all that bad but clearly enough to matter.
Knocked the new one in with block of wood and old socket followed by the new oil seal. Gasket on, tail housing back on, speedo drive connected and were good.
Next job was to start rebuilding the 3.54 diff I have. The car was running a 3.9 with a 1-1 top gear, 205/14/70 rears pulling 4000rpm ish at 60mph. This made motorways psinful, car revving it nuts off and still maxed at 75mph.....
So the only ratio available is a 3.54 as fitted to Mk2 RS2000 and a few other models. A useable diff in this ratio is £250 all day long. This one had a bent drive flange and 16 thou backlash. Pulling the outer pinion bearing showed rust pitting on the track, so the decision was taken to rebuild
Next up I need to make a few tools to rebuild the diff. I've done other diffs getting by with levers etc but I made a set of side adjusters for a 9in which worked well so I made a set for the English diff as I think I'll rebuild them both and sell the 3.9. This is just a 60mm disc with a 19mm nut and two 8mm prongs tig welded on. The threaded portion was later cut off
Next up was a fixture to hold the diff, a piece of 3mm inch box was drill and braced. I used box so I can mount it in the vice and clamp it in each plane so I can measure and torque bolts etc
Last edited by WB54; 27-08-2016 at 16:53.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)